Halls High School

Public | 9-12 | 1312 students

Posted May 28, 2014

This school is truly the best school in Knox County. All those writing negative reviews have had one experience that they didn't win, or the teacher cared enough to be strict. Don't write bad reviews because you didn't get exactly want you wanted. I am a student, and third generation attendee of Halls, and it continues to impress me. Great organizations such as the band, basketball team, baseball team, cheerleaders, track, and nationally renown softball team, make this a truly diverse in extra-curricular activities school! This school is in the TOP 10% in the State of Tennessee!

Posted October 4, 2011

I am currently a senior at Halls High and I feel that it is the best public school in Knoxville. Last year, after taking two semesters of chemistry, I aced the AP test and got a five, the highest possible score. The teachers are helpful and caring and the extra-cirriculars are awesome (with the exception of the football team). I can honestly say that I would rather be a student at Halls than at Webb, where the affluence of the faculty and the students alike is overwhelming, and the cost could send a student to an Ivy League to get a bachelor's degree. The only concern I have is that only about half the students in each grade is able to maintain above a C average, and only about half of those students are in honors or AP courses, but my guess is that most of the students who have a 2.0 GPA or lower either don't care about their education or are in the wrong classes for their intelligence level.

Posted July 30, 2010

I am now an entertainment representative for the oldest and most world renown talent agency in the world. Having been a graduate from Halls High School earlier in the decade I must honestly say this school had absolutely nothing to do with my success. It took me getting far away from this school and town to actually realize that there is a world out there far greater than the walls of Halls. But kudos to Halls High and many of the people that attended during my tenure, for if it was not for once being on the inside, I wouldn't fully comprehend how great it is being on the outside looking in, and would never fully appreciate where I am today. If you have the extra income, consider Webb School, or spend the extra 80 grand on a house zoned for Farragut High. If not, get a better job. -Alumni 2004

Posted July 29, 2010

How could you possibly know the quality and dedication of every teacher in every school system in the state of TN. Here this guy is in the Air Force Academy and has not learned to THINK!. That is what the concern are by the parents. Teaching students ti inquire, think and solve problems, and not becoming a robot that enters the military. The teachers at Hall do not stress the highest level of pedagogy and that is synthesis and analysis. Unfortunately, the fellow at the Air Force Academy demonstrates this in spades by his lack of logic and poor analytical ability. That is scary in itself!!

Posted October 5, 2009

The teachers are awesome and my niece loves going to school each day.

Posted April 14, 2009

I am a 2007 graduate of Halls. I am now a sophomore at the United States Air Force Academy. I feel many negative reviews about Halls High have come from parents that don't see how the school's faculty and administration tirelessly work for the benefit of its' students day to day. My experience was overall a very positive one. From what I saw the majority of the faculty were always concerned for the wellfare of the students. I was a part of the honors and advanced placement programs at Halls and felt like the academic curriculum prepared me for the rigorous courses I now take at the academy. I also feel that the faculty for the honors and AP courses are some of the most dedicated and caring instructors in the state. I believe Halls is an excellent school to prepare anyone for a successful future in any and all endeavors.

Posted December 10, 2008

Having experienced the teachers and administration at Halls High for two years now, I have nothing but positive things to say about both. I am especially impressed with the principal, who seems to be both caring and 'Down to earth.' He has always been pleasant and helpful. In addition, Mrs. Webber who has taught both of my children in Honor's English is truly a fantastic, dedicated teacher, and Halls is lucky to have her. Certainly, everyone of the staff members that I have dealt with at Halls have been positive and kind. Furthermore, the curriculum at Halls is extremely challenging, and I feel that my children are getting a top quality education.

Posted December 5, 2008

The staff at Halls is one of the best in Knox Co. English and Math departments are above average. Many parents get too caught up in the politics. Mostly good kids go to Halls, and it is a good learning environment. They pay a lot of attention to extra curricular activities.

Posted October 8, 2008

I have two children, one went to Halls High and the other now in Gibbs. I myself am college educated, successful in my profession and meet the financial status quo for Halls but can say that Halls is a pit for failure. There are a few teachers who show true concern and effort, but the Majority uncaring rude teachers far outway their efforts. The administration is unhelpful and uncaring. They only get involved when forced or begged to, the atmosphere there is far from what any parent would want. I am completely disappointment all around and all the students come away with poor attitudes, social skills, and only a hand full with good education and learning skills. The teachers lack the desire to truly teach nor realize the effect they have on the individuals they are suppose to be teaching. money can't buy respect, responsibility, compassion, nor knowledge. Halls 'F'

Posted August 11, 2008

I have had 2 kids in this school and 3 to come. I wish the school board would do something about this very uncareing school. They dont care about the kids and if they learn. I have never seen anything like it. Someone needs to do something. It is about the kids after all not just a pay check. If I could I would give this school a big fat F.

Posted November 7, 2005

My last daughter will graduate from Halls HS this year; overall it's been a great experience. Administration stinks to high heaven, at least for the non-troublemakers. Teachers, thankfully, work around the poor management. My two daughters haven't had more than a couple of teachers (total) who haven't seemed to care. ALL others have been wonderful and appreciative of my honors-students' efforts to do well, and have offered additional help in those times when my girls struggled with coursework. As others have noted, counselors are largely ineffective and seem to be clueless. But teachers care, they actually teach and many go above and beyond. Academically, Halls is great.

Posted June 29, 2005

Halls HS has to be the worst school we have encountered over the years and we had moved around quite a bit. I have never seen such blatant disregard and disinterest for students as I did in most of the teachers I dealt with and in the administrative staff. I personally took a foster daughter in to speak to a school counselor about an issue and I was there when the staff blew her off not once, but twice. She never got to speak to a counselor, seems no one could be bothered. Twice upon arriving to the school I found my own daughters classroom unattended, when I asked where the teacher was the students said that he was in the parking lot as usual. I found the teacher in the parking lot on his cell phone. Six months later, I had enough and began home-schooling kids.

Posted April 22, 2005

The academic programs are okay here at Halls, but they could be better! I mean some teacher act like they could careless but there are others that really care, such as the following: Mrs.Lydia Cole, Mr.Gary Harmon, Mr.Ken Davis, Coach Morgan Campbell, Coach Carroll, and probably many others. The ones that care really care. But as of the students they don't have very good attitudes, you have to dress a certain way, have money, act a certain way, like they don't look on the inside they look on the outside...and it puts a lot of people out of 'groups.' But that's the way majority of the students at Halls are. Halls does have a majority of extracurricular activities, they may not all be great, but they keep us going! Oh yeah, not all parents get to say what they think, only certain ones do!

Posted December 10, 2004

Well, I have to say, in some ways, Halls does have 'it'. There are some really awesome teachers there who definitely put the 'it' into the school. Some of my favorites are: Ken Davis, Lydia Cole, Jeana Kirby, Kim Hurst, Mike Blankenship, Beth Lawson, and other teachers that I haven't had yet. I really appreciate the care and concern that the teachers exhibit when their kids are going through their hard times. Yes, Halls has its bad moments, but honestly, what school doesn't? The teachers I listed above have definitely made my high school experience extremely worthwhile, and as long as Halls has teachers such as those, and many more, that I've not mentioned, then (in my opinion) Halls will continue to be one of the best!

Posted December 7, 2004

While I am not a parent, I am a graduate of Halls High class of 2001. I am now a senior in at Morehead State University in Morehead, KY. While some parents rate Halls High as being unprofessional and the staff and administration unfriendly, I have a very different outlook. As far as professionalism and education, I think HHS sufficiently prepared me for college. For example, the English, Math, and Health department (just to name a few) were extremely 'up to par' when it came crunch time in college. I found that I was more educated and knowledgable in those areas than most of my fellow college classmates. I personally think parents in the Halls community think more about the political stigma for their child. When it comes down to professionalism, staff, and administration, I would be glad to send my child to HHS any day. Thank You.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 12, 2004

I think that Halls is a school just like any other, most of the teachers dont explain things well to students and they are just there for the job to be paid. Some teachers expect too much from the students. My daughter goes there and I would have never known how rude some teachers can be sometimes.

Posted November 12, 2004

Teacher quality is hard to come by. No student has not expereinced the horror of being stuck in a class with a teacher who does not care, or who expects too much (to the point where the teacher seems to think that the kid's only job in life is to do work for their class.) Yet, with all the teachers at Halls, there are a few that make this school worth while. These teachers sincerely care about their kids, teach well, become their friends, and teach them about life as well as their subject. I am talking about Mr. Gary Harmon, Mr. Ken Davis, and Mr. Barry Fernandez, and others I'm yet to experience. These teachers makes this school worth while...yes some teachers can be just there for the money, but it is the few that we learn to love, that make learning worth while.

Posted October 26, 2004

I find that the administration at Halls High is lacking in several of the most important aspects of being teachers and the major one being student-to-teacher friendliness. The administration appears to be there simply to be getting paid not to further the intelligence of tomorrow's society. I have had several conflicts with some of the teachers at Halls High School and I have withdrawn my student from Halls because of it. Now I am not trying to undermine the school for there are some incredible teachers there and it really hurts me to watch some teachers put so much effort into the students and others not do the same. This is just a simple explanation for why I have decided to come to this site and give this school such a rating. Constructive criticism is what I would like to think of it. Maybe we can expect some changes!

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

288 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

310 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

256 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 32%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Latin
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4321 East Emory Rd