Karns Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1216 students

Posted February 16, 2012

My son had this same teacher in the fourth grade and we loved her. She was a lot of fun and she is a very good teacher. He learned a lot and did very well in the fith grade.

Posted March 30, 2011

I have 3 children. All three attended this school and I have been pleased with every experience. I love this school. They have wonderful teachers who care about the students. The parents in this area are always so involved.

Posted January 15, 2011

Karns is great!! I have two children who attend Karns and I cannot say enough wonderful things about this school. It has an administration that listens to parents and seems to really work at making it a great school. The teachers are dedicated and energetic. I have driven by many times after hours and seen many of them still there working!! Families....Wow! Parents are involved and interested in making the school great. Hope you will get the chance to experience Karns first hand.

Posted October 13, 2010

They build relationships between parent teacher, student and academics. They believe in building self esteem, promoting positive character traits and values. My grandaughter is the fith generation to attend this school, and although the staff and building has changed, the foundation still remains!

Posted September 18, 2009

My son is in the 3rd grade a t Karns and is in his 4th year there. We have had nothing but exceptional teachers - Mrs. Knight, Mrs. Berrier, Mrs. Wiley, Mrs. Byrd. We are relocating with a job change out of state and saying goodbye to this school and it's students and staff will be one of the saddest things we do.

Posted March 3, 2009

Having held a position of employment that has allowed me the opportunity to have first hand knowlege and rapport with several Knox County schools and their faculty, I feel I have a unique point of view as to how Karns Elementary stacks up against the others in our county. Sadly, I beleive Karns is average at best. Certainly, there are some stand-out staff at Karns but as a whole Karns lacks the spirit and pride I have witnessed from other schools in our county and I beleive that spirit and pride either originates or fails to originate with the staff. Kudos to Mr. Grimac. I don't have a child in his class but when you drive by the playground its obvious who loves his job!

Posted February 12, 2009

Both of my children have attended Karns Elementary.The teachers there are awesome and always ready to go that extra mile if a student needs help.And the best thing is parents are always welcome.

Posted January 1, 2009

My daughters have all attended Karns Elementary, and we haven't had a bad teachers. The PTA program is very strong, and the teachers appear to have everything they need.

Posted November 29, 2008

my granddaughters have lived with me for 6 years and they both love Karns Elementary. The teachers that we have been involved with really seem great.

Posted August 9, 2008

My son is excited that school is getting ready to start! I believe it has alot to do with the staff at Karns Elementary! He will be a first grader at Karns. He loved his kindergarten teacher (Ms. Houser) and is looking forward to getting to know his new 1st grade teacher. I always feel welcome when I come to school to eat lunch with him or to help with activities.

Posted July 10, 2008

After moving from the eroded public schools of Georgia, I was blessed to find a Teacher Assistant position with Karns Elementary School. Though I only was able to know Cathy Summa for a year she always stopped to see if I was being taken care of and being Mentored by the other staff. I have never met a more dedicated staff of teachers and the Assistant Principal Susan Herald is a wonderful mentor. I am hoping to complete my student teaching next year at Karns and stay within the KES family. You can feel warmth when you walk through the door. My first grader thrived with Mrs. Collins as his teacher and she challenged him on a daily basis to go above and beyond. Its a school that I imgained for my son and we have been very pleased with the experience.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 19, 2008

I love Karns. I have always felt very secure leaving my children there. I am saddened that Mrs. Summa is leaving, because she was a wonderful principal. My son was lucky enough to have her at two different schools. She was so involved with her students. I think any child who goes to Karns is a lucky child!

Posted May 12, 2008

The teachers and staff have always been a great help. I feel welcome everytime I come to the school and my children have learned so much while attending.

Posted February 8, 2008

This is my daughter's first year in school. She is a kindergardener. I must say that Karns Elementary has demonstrated to my daughter that school can be a fun place to learn. The teachers are caring and compassionate, they have a great open line of communication and are always there to answer any question that I may have concerning my child and her education. I am proud to have moved to the Karns Elementary school district. Ms. Bailey, Mrs. Harness , Mrs Smith, Mrs. Knight and the rest of the kindergarten teachers you are the best. My daughter loves getting up and going to school everyday. I am a proud parent of Karns elementary and would recommend it to anyone relocating to Knoxville.

Posted January 12, 2008

I love Karns! It is the best school ever!
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 3, 2007

the school karns is a great school and my kids love their teachers, mrs jones,mrs mcneeley , mrs,smith

Posted September 25, 2007

Loved this school! They do so many activities with the children and the teachers are top notch. I wish my children still went there. They are in school in TX now are very ahead of their class

Posted August 16, 2007

I went to Karns and now my kids go there also. I love it, So do they!

Posted June 22, 2007

My daughter just completed kindergarten and I think her experience was great! At 5 years old she is reading at second grade level. The availability of extracurricular activities was a plus. I have never known a school that both welcomed and encouraged parental involvement the way Karns does. She will be back to attend next year. My only complaint is diversity. It is not very diverse, and I want my child to not only be well rounded intellectually, but culturally as well.

Posted April 24, 2007

I have two children that attend and love the school. One is in the 1st grade, gifted and has been bored since she started school. I have requested that someone challege her but have been ignored. I'm looking to move because of it and hope I can find a school that will take some notice. Office staff is great. I don't know who the principal is. Lots of parent involvement.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8108 Beaver Ridge Rd