Karns High School

Public | 9-12

Posted May 6, 2013

As a former student and parent of students. I feel Karns has went down hill at a rapid rate. Located in an ideal area for commuting one would think that the community would thrive however that is not the case. Karns has never had a tight knit community feel due to socio economic status but with the horrible zoning and the addition of two new schools. The soul of the community is nonexistent. A few of the above average students will keep the test scores higher but all in all Karns should be a 5. I do believe if politics were removed from the school it could thrive. Go Beavers!

Posted August 27, 2011

I would highly recommend all the Karns schools. Both of my children attended from K-12. Karns High School is the best kept secret in Knox County. KHS offered classes which were appropriate for my daughter who was an average student, an athlete and heavily involved in social/club activities as well as numerous AP and Honors classes for my son who graduated in the top ten of his class. My daughter has graduated from private college and my son is attending college now. THANK YOU TEACHERS!!! Even though the demographic of KHS changed during the rezoning, it is an excellent school. The teachers are AMAZING. I can only recall two teachers I was not happy with out of 8 years of high school and I can't count all the teachers who went above and beyond to help students (mine included) if they needed a little extra help, support or just a friendly ear. For example, the golf coach/teacher sets an example for his athletes and encourages and helps athletes learn from mistakes. I have seen many coaches yell at a student athlete rather than try to turn it into a learning experience. The new administration has been smart to solicit input from the community and students.

Posted October 12, 2010

Because both of my children graduated from Karns High School and my oldest son teaches there now.

Posted April 27, 2010

A few years ago I would have given Karns HS 5 stars. However, things have changed. Ever since Hardin Valley opened and Knox county changed the zoning , Karns is headed down hill. The biggest problem exsists due to the lack of discipline. The administrators are always threatening the problem students, but do not follow through. In the last 2 years, I have seen 3 teachers get 'shoved' by students. One of those teachers suffered brain damage. There are frequent fights among the students and many of these students treat the teachers and administrators with no respect. It's not unusual to see students swearing at their teachers.The administrators do not back their teachers. To make matters worse, the Karns administrators pressure the teachers to pass their failing students, just to bring up the graduation rate. Most important the school is not safe.

Posted July 25, 2008

I am a graduated of the 'Elite' Farragut High School and my children were zoned there until recently. I was not sure of what kind of experience my children would receive at Karns. Now that my oldest son is a Junior and my middle one is a Sophmore, I am very pleased with their experience. I was impressed by the dual credit classes they offer. Which means they can take a class that gets them both a high schhol and college credit. They have every AP class my son needs to take. He is a Duke TIP student and everything he needs is offered at Karns. The sports program need more support, and they seem to be improving on that. Any sport your child would want to be a part of seems to be offer there, including Rugby. I highly recommend the school.

Posted October 13, 2007

I think the elementary was good, the junior high was ok, but the high school is terrible.Their are some teachers that care but cannot do much due to poor leadership. Never any help if a parent has a concern, way overcrowded and nobody cares, drive-thru education

Posted August 31, 2007

I attended Karns all 4 years of high school. I was involved in Sports, Leadership, HOSA, CDC Peer Tutoring and Newspaper. I LOVED Karns!! This school is very family oriented! You do however get the education that is expected from a public school but the teachers take their time and go out of their way to help you in what ever is needed. The only thing I didn t like was the overcrowding but the school system has taken over and is building a new school to help out! The faculty and staff is very school spirited, not to mention the parents and definitely the students! I recommend this school to everyone!GO BEAVERS!

Posted July 27, 2007

I was a Karns beaver from kindergarten to graduation! Karns needs to offer more challenging classes, and less 'joke' classes. Most teachers do not challenge their students. Like any high school, cliques unfortunately exsist. Most people are easy going. The football team is under-rated. We have got great players, but need more support and better leadership. Parent involvement is attempted by the staff, but it is rarely carried out by the student. Despite its problems, I would highly recommend Karns.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 3, 2007

All and all Karns is a good school it could be better but it is one of the top 3 Public Schools in Knox County but the people at Karns are either really nice or really mean there is no in between many of the students are snobbier and more stuck up than your average school but there also down to earth people there, the sports programs are either at or above average. I would recommend if you live in Knox County and want a good education for your child.

Posted April 9, 2005

I am a junior, soon to be senior at karns high school. im am involved in SPIF, FBLA, and DECA. I also video tape the football games for karns every year. my opinion on Karns is that it's about average. There are definatly worse and better schools than Karns. All the rumors about fights everyday and people getting caught doin drugs everyday are just what they are, rumors. Unless the student puts himself into a bad situation, nothing really happens. Some teachers are good and then some arent. Ive found out that if u dont like the teacher u dont do very well in that class. But sometimes its the students that make the teacher bad. I think where Karns can improve is: enforcing dress code, more parent involvement, and maybe a little bit better quality teachers in certain areas. But all in all, Ive enjoyed my time here at Karns.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 6, 2004

I love Karns! The people there are wonderful!The teachers are incredibly helpful and kind! The school is always so clean and beautiful. And even though we dont win all of our sport games there are always tons of fans cheering them on the whole way! Thanx Karns, for such a wonderful experience!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 25, 2004

I think Karns is a joke. All the school is, is a popularity contest. I know most schools are but almost everyone there is mean and extremely rude so if you want your students getting hurt then send them to Karns. If not I recommend them to go anywhere else.

Posted August 12, 2004

I used to go karns. they tauht me very good and i love the school because what i learnd there. the education is good and the sports program is hard beat. go beavers! anyone who says karns isnt a good school neds to look at the students to see why its so great. people there are nice and have lots of school spirit and cheer on the football team. any school that cheers so much for the team has got to be a good school. i suport karns and im shamed of the parents and kids who complain abot our fine instition. shame on you.

Posted July 22, 2004

I was told there is a dress code at the Karns High School. How surprised I was when I visited several times during 2003 & saw naked belly buttons, jeans half-way down boys behinds,etc. When I inquired about this and the 'dress code' I was informed the teachers/administration ignore it and when there is a check day for the dress code the students already know in advance. I know that schools have more on their 'plate' than checking daily wear by students but please, if you have a dress code enforce it!

Posted May 11, 2004

I have attended Karns now for 2 years. I am appalled at the lack of respect the teachers offer the students. I have even been taught the wrong things! It's obvious to me that some of the teachers are teaching the wrong things for the wrong reasons. But, there are a few amazing teachers who have helped me understand things the right way..the easy way. I would never recomend Karns to anyone who values respect,truth, or civility among teachers and students alike.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 7, 2003

My child went to this school for a good 2 years, and there were the best 2 of her high school career! Thank you Teachers, friends and Karns community! You are wonderful.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

301 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (865) 539-8679

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2710 Byington Solway Rd