Knoxville, TN

Karns High School 2

Posted December 29, 2013
As a former student and parent of students. I feel Karns has went down hill at a rapid rate. Located in an ideal area for commuting one would think that the community would thrive however that is not the case. Karns has never had a tight knit community feel due to socio economic status but with the horrible zoning and the addition of two new schools. The soul of the community is nonexistent. A few of the above average students will keep the test scores higher but all in all Karns should be a 5. I do believe if politics were removed from the school it could thrive. Go Beavers!

Posted August 27, 2011
I would highly recommend all the Karns schools. Both of my children attended from K-12. Karns High School is the best kept secret in Knox County. KHS offered classes which were appropriate for my daughter who was an average student, an athlete and heavily involved in social/club activities as well as numerous AP and Honors classes for my son who graduated in the top ten of his class. My daughter has graduated from private college and my son is attending college now. THANK YOU TEACHERS!!! Even though the demographic of KHS changed during the rezoning, it is an excellent school. The teachers are AMAZING. I can only recall two teachers I was not happy with out of 8 years of high school and I can't count all the teachers who went above and beyond to help students (mine included) if they needed a little extra help, support or just a friendly ear. For example, the golf coach/teacher sets an example for his athletes and encourages and helps athletes learn from mistakes. I have seen many coaches yell at a student athlete rather than try to turn it into a learning experience. The new administration has been smart to solicit input from the community and students.

Karns High School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
Because both of my children graduated from Karns High School and my oldest son teaches there now.

Karns High School 2

Posted April 27, 2010
A few years ago I would have given Karns HS 5 stars. However, things have changed. Ever since Hardin Valley opened and Knox county changed the zoning , Karns is headed down hill. The biggest problem exsists due to the lack of discipline. The administrators are always threatening the problem students, but do not follow through. In the last 2 years, I have seen 3 teachers get 'shoved' by students. One of those teachers suffered brain damage. There are frequent fights among the students and many of these students treat the teachers and administrators with no respect. It's not unusual to see students swearing at their teachers.The administrators do not back their teachers. To make matters worse, the Karns administrators pressure the teachers to pass their failing students, just to bring up the graduation rate. Most important the school is not safe.

Karns High School 1

Posted March 22, 2009

Karns High School 4

Posted October 02, 2008

Posted August 19, 2008

Karns High School 4

Posted August 18, 2008

Posted July 25, 2008
I am a graduated of the 'Elite' Farragut High School and my children were zoned there until recently. I was not sure of what kind of experience my children would receive at Karns. Now that my oldest son is a Junior and my middle one is a Sophmore, I am very pleased with their experience. I was impressed by the dual credit classes they offer. Which means they can take a class that gets them both a high schhol and college credit. They have every AP class my son needs to take. He is a Duke TIP student and everything he needs is offered at Karns. The sports program need more support, and they seem to be improving on that. Any sport your child would want to be a part of seems to be offer there, including Rugby. I highly recommend the school.

Karns High School 1

Posted October 13, 2007
I think the elementary was good, the junior high was ok, but the high school is terrible.Their are some teachers that care but cannot do much due to poor leadership. Never any help if a parent has a concern, way overcrowded and nobody cares, drive-thru education

Karns High School
2710 Byington Solway Rd, Knoxville, TN  37931
Last modified Karns High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Karns High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top