Bad
Good

Ritta Elementary School 1

Posted May 19, 2015
Administration is not experienced. Fairly young principal, on the side of the parents and does not support the staff. Little to no support for hard to staff areas, such as special education. Assistant Principal should be in the principal's role. My advice would be not to take a position at this school unless you are from the south, willing to keep quiet about inequalities, and are a follower.

Ritta Elementary School 2

Posted February 12, 2015
We moved this past summer and enrolled our children in Ritta. The front office staff treated us kindly and helped us with registration. We soon learned, however, that the school is overly regimented. Many teachers spend more of their time disciplining than teaching. Our children have been disciplined for insignificant things. On following up in those instances, the teachers replies were along the lines of, "Oh, there must have been a misunderstanding." Not all of the teachers are like this. We have been pleased with two new teachers, but fear that in time they will succumb to the hostile atmosphere. The school uses 5th graders as "safeties" to help out during car pool. The safeties abuse their power, inventing rules as they go, and tormenting the younger children with no apparent response from the staff. A portion of the students come from homes where morals are not emphasized. Our 3rd grader has been regularly exposed to foul language and graphic discussions. The teacher has attempted to correct the deviant behavior, but without reinforcement from their homes, the children do not change. We will not be taking our children back to Ritta next year.

Posted August 08, 2014
My daughter is starting second grade this year and has been in RITTA since kindergarten. We have nothing but positive feedback about this school. The teachers are enthusiastic and caring, the leadership is strong and the PTO is very active. We are looking forward to another school year:-)

Ritta Elementary School 3

Posted January 22, 2013
I agree with the post below. There are some good teachers but many teachers are burned out. There is a high turnover rate, as many of the best teachers are leaving for other teaching opportunities.

Ritta Elementary School 3

Posted November 01, 2012
This is a good school, if you happen to get a teacher that is not burned out. A friend of mine had one at Ritta last year and I have one this year. Please, teachers if you are not enthusiastic about teaching anymore and are going to chose to be lazy, leave please. Do the parents a favor! Also, other schools in Knox County seem to have more fun activities for the classes than Ritta does. Some of us parents still don't understand this.

Ritta Elementary School

Posted October 26, 2009
My daughter transferred to ritta this year. We love it. It is a great school with a great staff!

Ritta Elementary School 1

Posted September 22, 2009
Seems as though only the good reviews make it on the survey, instead of everyone just being honest. This is not a good school and Knox County as a whole has a horrible school district. I'm relocating my child so that he can have a 'real' education. Whatever happened to 'No Child Left Behind' ? I guess the teachers were too busy being snooty. The teachers work together in groups to focus on the negative.This school in particular needs a total makeover. (Has a great principal though) Not sure what happened when it came to hiring staff.

Posted August 20, 2009
I have two children who attend Ritta--a first-grader and third-grader. Both of my children have attended since Kindergarten, and I cannot say enough about the quality of their education to-date. Ritta provides a warm, caring, supportive environment for all of their students. The teachers are enthusiastic and engaged, and the support staff and volunteers are kind and attentive. From the outstanding organization and involvement of the PTO, to the phenomenal volunteer efforts related to extra-curricular activities, Ritta really is an ideal elementary school. I am consistently amazed at their ability to retain a small-town charm, while fostering an atmosphere geared toward tolerance, respect, and open-mindedness.

Posted July 21, 2008
My son just completed Kindergarten at Ritta and will be entering first grade in the fall. So far, we have had a wonderful experience. I have worked at other schools, and I have never seen a more caring, more involved principal than Mrs. Dowell. It means a lot to me as a parent that she knows the children and even knows their names. I love how attractive and clean the school always is.

Posted June 20, 2008
Ritta is a wonderful school with experienced teachers and staff. It has wonderful students who are supported by their parents and community. Mrs. Dowell is knowledgable and cares immensely about everyone's welfare.

Ritta Elementary School
6228 Washington Pike, Knoxville, TN  37918
Last modified Ritta Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.