Bearden High School

Public | 9-12 | 1978 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 21, 2014

Our daughter, after transferring from another state, says she loves this school. Says the 'cliques' are minimal, drugs aren't in your face like her previous school, teen pregnancies are non-existant and the principal is outstanding. She's only had one extremely left-winged teacher who went on and on about gun control but that the students just ignored her rants. She loves all her other teachers who are supportive and helpful and don't push political agendas. The big downfalls are the football field-almost dangerous its so uneven. Also, a school this big ought to be awesome in football/basketball yet they didn't get far (in football). A+ in academics though Bearden High!

Posted August 12, 2013

Bearden High School has a great reputation of strong leadership among the administration, faculty and student body. Strong academics, sports and parent involvement make Bearden a great place!

Posted August 30, 2012

BHS is the a nationally ranked High School and is amazing. I love going to school there everyday. They have so many clubs and organizations that everyone has a chance to be involved. The Principal really cares about the students and has taken time out to talk to me about where I want to go to college and offering me feedback. He loves the students and their opinions. There are tons of amazing teachers and a lot of unique classes are offered. The only complaint I have is the pot holes around the school.

Posted August 9, 2012

Bearden has several challenging academic classes that many students enjoy taking. The teachers go beyond expectations when helping students in class or out of class with tutoring. The school has several student leadership groups that lead the student body to excel. The principal tries and succeeds at connecting to the students, acting as a friend and mentor to all. It is a wonderful school.

Posted June 5, 2012

The classes and teachers are great, but the administration is terrible. They have no idea what is going on and do not communicate with the parents. The principal will not respond to emails and will only give you generic responses. His email signature says "It's about the students". He didn't show one bit of interest or concern for my students.

Posted January 26, 2012

We came frrom West Tn. Our attended one of the top rated high schools in the country, and hated it. He loves Bearden and so do we. Great students and teachers and the kids grade are now all a's and the odd b....Great work Bearden H.S.

Posted October 12, 2010

I went to Bearden. Wonderful teachers and fellow students-!

Posted April 7, 2010

I attend Bearden and can personaly say it is one of the most student friendly schools in the nation!

Posted March 25, 2010

I am not satisified with Bearden High School at all. My husband and I have tried to communicate with the Principal via Email never will he respond to our emails reguarding my husbands children. Bearden High Schools allow children to miss almost 40 days in 3/4 of a school year and do nothing about it. Teachers tell the children if they pass the 'Gateway' exam that they will pass them the entire year. Even though they have a 30 something average in Algebra and the child does not know how many days are in a year or months in a year. Yes that does back to the elementary and middle schools. The high school allows children with 'records' and are failing in their ROTC class and they also allow children who are failing play sports. Something does not add up at that school, I would not recommend this school

Posted October 20, 2009

We came from a small town in Alabama. We were looking for a school with kids that looked and had the same values as our family. We looked at Farragut and West, but Bearden was just what we were looking for. My 10th grader loves it, and has fit in well socially and academically.

Posted June 25, 2009

I have 4 kids - one has graduated from Bearden and the other three are currently attending Bearden. We have 1 with a Learning Disabiblity. The staff are wonderful to work with and truly want each child to succeed. There are multiple opportunities for parents to get involved. There is a good balance between sports and academics. I feel our oldest child was totally prepared for college classwork. The school has many AP and honors classes and offers 6-7 languages as well as many vocational classes.

Posted November 1, 2008

I was a student at BHS for four very long years. The teachers try too hard to be chummy with students, the athletic department is very poorly managed, and some of the rules and regulations are ludacris. I had several teachers that were really good at what they did. However, they were also run off by the ridiculous policies. I hate this school, and will do everything in my power to let the public know exactly how bad it is. --Class of 2005

Posted October 1, 2008

This is one of the best high schools in the country, dedicated staff, a really cool new principal, and the greatest arts dept in the world. My children have become so involved in the school that they want to be there when the school doors open(and that is really early) and leave when the school doors are locked. This shows that the committment of the faculty and staff and the respect of the culture of education is number one at Bearden and the children will forever appreciate this learning experience! 'Go Bulldogs'

Posted December 9, 2007

It's a very good school and everything is amazing; the teachers, classes, sports. Hey I should know; I go there.

Posted February 10, 2007

I am a 2003 graduate of Bearden. The curriculum of the school helped me move on to an incredible future at a prestigious University and I still believe I learned a host of things about life and education from my time there. I met people at college who had gone to very expensive private schools, and many felt I was better prepared than they were. The motivated staff was there for me in every facet of my life. Outstanding choral program and drama. One of the few public schools I know of that treat the arts with as much respect as core programs. I would not have traded my time there for any other school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 6, 2007

BHS is an outstanding school with a school spirited student body. And my Sophomore daughter would not leave Bearden for a million dollars. The Administrators are tuely devoted to the students success in and out of the classroom. Each Principal has their own style of discipline but they all have a common goal of providing incentives for students to go by the rules that are in place. The new addition to Guidance, Mrs. Lori Boudreaux-Renfro, is very approachable and professional-truely dedicated to assist all students. The speech program is wonderful but older students should have an opportunity to study the course. This would help the student who is entering college soon as well as give them a chance to earn an elective credit that will provide a useful skill.

Posted January 6, 2007

I am an English 10 CP and Speech/Public Speaking teacher at Bearden High School. Currently I am completing my third year at BHS and my sixth year overall. I am most impressed with the caliber of students I have had in my classroom. Clearly they have been well taught in previous grades but it also speaks to the Family support each child has. The parents I have communicated with, whether for good or poor student behavior or grades, have always met me with support and willingness to teamwork. My Speech program is solid and has proven to be of value to students as they continue through school. Bearden boast various teachers who have entered the profession after serving in the military, science, or even law! The Navy ROTC program is led by two highly motivated retired Marines and they provide structure and enrichment through physical and intellectual means. Great Schhol!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 30, 2006

We are satisfied with the education our child is recieving at this school. However, we are very disappointed with the management of the athletic department.

Posted May 20, 2006

English department is exceptional. Curriculum adequately prepares students for college.

Posted March 31, 2006

BHS is the school for everyone. I have 1 child who attends and he's doing excellent. I love the teachers, principals, and the faculty period. The education department is great to. He helps my son out alot, with him having a transfer from east Knoxville. He has correct tutors, and role models, edgeing him to stay on task and do the right thing.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

407 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

481 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

543 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

493 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

474 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

327 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Fax number
  • (865) 539-7805

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8352 Kingston Pk