Bearden Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted May 12, 2014

I heard a lot about BMS. This is the first year for my son and I was really worry about this is school since a heard a lot of bad reviews about BMS , but I was really surprise not only for how much my son love this school , but also how much help full all the staff and teachers was. So I have no complains about BMS.

Posted April 18, 2014

My son is in all honors classes and also an ADHD student. Although there are times he has problems not completing his work on time, his education has not been an issue and his teachers have been very vigilant and helpful. He has had little or no issues with being bullied and he is a prime candidate being small in stature and has a tendency to tattle on his classmates. :)

Posted February 8, 2014

As a teacher at this school I can say the administrators do what is best for students not what is for their next promotion to impress their supervisor. Teachers are dedicated to their students as well as what will provide rigor to the curriculum. Please visit our school and ask opinions of those who currently attend. We scored a 5 (the best) in growth on TCAPS and continually rock the house especially in physical science, science, and algebra on honors exams. Give BMS a strong consideration. Do your research and not base your choice on one person's opinion from 3 years ago. We are an AVID and soon to be IB Middle School. In addition, we offer diversity that are real world skills that will be experienced in college and work force. I love where I work, the staff, and especially my students!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 31, 2013

While going to this school, I found it quite good. All of the teachers were supportive, and the students that I associated with were very nice and relatively smart. After looking at the other comments, I can only disagree with what some people are saying.

Posted November 24, 2013

My child is currently attending Bearden and is in the second year here. I am working with the teachers and principal to give them feedback on what we see as working with our family. We also let them know personally when we see or recognize any problems and so far, I feel that I am getting the help that we need, by specifically asking for help and following up. The principal for the whole school contacts me by email and is accessible by phone if I persist. She and her staff seem to be working hard and I see her daily as the children arrive and depart from the school. She has a big job, but if we parents help, our children will continue to be blessed with a school in our community that prepares them for the rest of their education.

Posted August 2, 2012

I am rating this school unsatisfactory because it deals with high level administration as well as teachers. If the issue only dealt with some teachers, I would give the school a higher rating. All teachers are not bad. There are just a few bad apples. If your child or student was placed in a closet or surrounded by a curtain in a n-team time out by Teacher Ms. Robin Morton please contact me@ chris 112 @ rocket mail . com

Posted August 1, 2011

BMS has problems. My daughter was bullied there regularly and no one seemed to care. I spoke with the Vice Principal after my daughter was teased because she is half Mexican. She seemed uninterested. One child tormented my daughter in PE she followed her around calling her a lesbian and told other kids she has AIDS (which she does not). No one cared. My daughter is in gifted classes and has always gotten good grades. After one grading period here she dropped to a B average and hated going to school. Sad.

Posted March 15, 2011

It is an "ok" school. My daughter does not like it though. She tells me something bad everyday that has happend.

Posted March 4, 2011

I will not rate this school considering there is too much violence going on there. There's no day that there isn't a fight. I feel there is no order. The buses drop off and pick up children in inappropiate places such as stores. children being bullied on the bus and at school. Neither one wants to take on their responsibility for what is going on. When I say schoo I am talking about teachers and pricipals. Instead put the blame on the parents. Some parents want to be involved in everything that is going on. It seems they're not working together. Teachers, not all, talk to the students as if they're felons. I feel that some need training on how to handle children of all ages.

Posted November 19, 2010

After sending our daughter to a private school for 6th grade, we switched to BMS for 7th and 8th grades. She has had several excellent teachers and a couple of mediocre ones at both schools. Despite Bearden's size, which was one of our initial concerns, we have found the administration and teachers to be very attentive and approachable. My daughter is not just a number and has developed strong, supportive relationships with several teachers and with other students. The new principal is excellent, and makes an amazing effort to communicate with parents and students. Yes, the hallways are crowded: yes, there are some rowdy, rude kids--but that's typical of the real world, and the sooner kids adjust to a variety of different personalities and situations, the stronger and more adaptable they become. Thanks Bearden! Keep up the good work...

Posted April 27, 2010

I have had children at this school for four years. Like many other parents we had heard 'Stories' We too were nervous about sending our GIRLS to Bearden. However,within a matter of weeks we were so pleased at how well our daughter had adjusted to her new school. The teachers for the most part have been exceptional. There will always be one or two you don't click with. That's reallity. Our kids have been involved in numerous activities throught the three years at Bearden. Being involved is the key. Both parents and children. Know what is going on and stay involved. We considered private school but four years later we are so glad we decided to send them to Bearden. I would highly recommend this school to anyone in the district. It's wonderful. Keep up the good work teachers. It's noticed and appreciated.

Posted October 3, 2008

This school has both good and not so good qualities. Much of the staff are great educators, communicators, and willing to go the mile in order to facilitate learning. However, there are a few staff members who demonstrate partiality to some students and almost even a disregard for others. Because of this, I advise any parent, who's child is not a straight A student and is unable to wear top-notch name-brand clothing every day, to make sure your child does not fall through the cracks of this prideful middle school.

Posted October 12, 2007

This is my first year at Bearden. It is so amazing. When I first got there it was confusing. They took me step by step and I am now a proud member at Bearden Middle.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 3, 2007

So far so good. I had concerns at first due to some of the previous information. I have not heard of any bad experiences and my child is a new 6th grader. She loves her new school and is a lot of AP classes and is doing well. I was a little concerned about the bathroom issue but I guess the school has to do what is needed to keep the bathrooms in good shape. Overall I am happy with BMS as a school.

Posted August 31, 2007

So far I am not happy with Bearden middle school.I dont like the fact that the bathrooms stay looked or the fact that i can bring my children to school 45 min early and they are not allowed to go the locker or eat breakfast till 8:15-8:25.They only have 10 minutes to eat and go to their locker when they are there 45 min early.

Posted March 28, 2007

With a current 8th grader and and upcoming 6th grader I am nothing but please with all my experiences at Bearden Middle. If you look to find fault you always will. Every school in the country has it's good and bad points. I think we should be thankful that our children have a good, safe school to attend in the West Hills Community. My son loves his school and has never had one problem there in 3 years. My daughter is looking forward to all the new experiences she will encounter next school year. Thanks to all Bearden Middle Staff and Faculty...we have a great school! The academics are excellent, the sports and those involved with them are wonderful, and the parent involvement compares to most schools. I think encouraging our children to get involved drastically help kids adjust and fit into school life.

Posted November 13, 2006

I have been very happy with the education that my children have received at BMS. They are well prepared for high school honors and AP courses. They also were on various sports teams. The school did NOT pay for the extra 'supplies' needed for team sports. We as parents footed those bills. I find the staff in the front office to be friendly most of the time. Everyone has their moments though, right? If the staff and teachers seem stressed, it could be due to the students.

Posted September 7, 2006

The teachers spend so much time disciplining the troublemakers, there's little time left for teaching. Fights and bullying are daily occurrences. Although there are some excellent teachers, the overall environment is not conducive to learning. I moved my son to a private school after a year.

Posted August 6, 2006

I don't know what the person who wrote in June 2005 is talking about. The parents have to pay for the uniforms, sport bags, accesories to the sport, and things like that. At the end of the day the principal does not tell you to get out of the school imediatly. She simply tells you to go where you need to go: if you ride a bus, go down to the commons, if your a car rider go to the parking lot. Even if you are one of those people you can still hang out in your classrooms and the computer lab, library, or really any room. The academic programs are very nice. There are many extracurricluar activities, and the parent involvment is ok. I would rate this school as very nice. Every school has its ups and downs.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 23, 2006

BMS is a good school with plenty of activities for all interests. The TSA and Science Olympiad programs are open to everyone and have placed first in state and regional competitions. There is a large student body but the teachers are caring and the administration tries hard. I would recommend this school. Parents need to become more involved in all areas; the school tries to get them to participate.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

414 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

410 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

390 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

393 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

393 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

392 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

385 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

384 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

White85%
Economically disadvantaged72%
Students with disabilities62%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Fax number
  • (865) 539-7851

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Band
Performing arts
  • Dance
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1000 Francis Rd