Central High School

Public | 9-12 | 1100 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 28, 2010

As the parent of 2 CHS students I have been impressed with the hard work of the new administration. They certainly have worked hard to improve the quality of the education our students receive. Most of the teachers care about the students and do a good job. Central has it's share of issues just like any school but I am happy to see that these issues are being addressed and changes made as needed.

Posted January 2, 2010

As a current student at CHS I do have a few things to say. The new office administration really has no idea how to handle a high school. Ms. Jackson talks and acts as if she was pulled straight out of a Jay Z music video. There are many great teachers at Central but the amount of bad ones is almost the same. And as much as I hate to say it, race also plays a big role in the Central community. Depending on the teacher whether you're african american or not can completely depend on the way that teacher treats you. They will either be scared to discipline the child or will write them up and send them outside at the snap of a finger. Even if a student of a different race is doing the exact same thing. Central can be a very unfair school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 27, 2009

At Central High School, you will find a wide variety of students. Students coming from all walks of life. Just like the students will find once they graduate from high school. The classes have teachers who care about the students.

Posted August 10, 2009

I graduated from Central two years ago and found it to be a perfectly acceptable school. I do think the guidence department and a few teachers are extremely subparr but other than that, I plan on making sure my children are educated at Central.

Posted January 27, 2009

Chorus Dept is absolutely wonderful! Other than that we are looking for another school for our younger child when she attends high school!

Posted August 26, 2008

I am a teacher at CHS. I am an experienced teacher who has taught at many schools. Central High School is an excellent school. The teachers sincerely care about their students. We want all of our students to succeed. Many of us spend our own money to further our education even when we already have Master's degrees and higher. Despite the bad publicity our school has faced due to the recent tragedy at our school, we still love our school and our students. Our job does not end at 3:30. We plan for our students at home, in our cars, while we are trying to rest, and sometimes even at church.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 21, 2008

My son and daughter graduated from central and I think it is a wonderful school.

Posted July 31, 2007

As a parent with two daughters at Central I can say that we have been very satisfied with the school overall. Communicating with the teachers has been a problem at times. They don't seem to understand that there are parents that want, and demand, to know about their child's performance before it gets out of hand. The 'clicks' don't seem to be bad and very few fights. Not too small and not too large. Good cross section of Knoxville here. Again, it's what the student and parents make of it. All schools have their problems. Some may just have more funds to work with.

Posted May 23, 2007

I graduated from Central in 2005, and as a student, I think Central was a great school. I was satisfied with teachers, grades, and extra curricular activities, but as with any school you have to work hard to do well, and many students just don't seem to care or try.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 19, 2006

We have just completed our first year at Central High School. Overall as a parent, I have been very satisfied. Very satisfied with teachers. Guidance is nice, but you must go to them, they do not make any effort in being proactive with the students. The school itself is in very good condition. We have been very satisfied with grades and test results. There does not seem to be the student 'clicks' like so many schools. Overall, I would highly recommend Central High School.

Posted May 6, 2004

I attended central high and graduated in 1998.. it was a great school and I am very proud to say I was and always will be a bobcat..I do currently have family there and am so proud that they also are bobcats
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 26, 2003

I think this school is very low in safety, teachers seem as if they don't care, there are too many fights. The restroom rule is unfair, especially for young women for personal reasons. If Central is so worried about smoking and fights in the rest room, they should have monitors. As a student, I speak for most who feel this way. There should be something done to make this school a better place.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

273 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

295 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

230 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 56%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Fax number
  • (865) 689-1403

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5321 Jacksboro Pk