Northwest Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 727 students

Posted January 21, 2014

I have had 2 children in this school now and am very disappointed with it. After a change of some teachers and administrators, I had hopes for improvement, but this has not been the case. Teachers refuse to contact parents when there are issues in the class with the child being off task. My son repeatedly tells me other children are distracting him and that the teachers don't explain the work well. I'm over this school and praying that my transfer request comes through this year.

Posted May 28, 2013

I am a Mother of 2 girls that went to this school and as a parent I was nervous at first but all the teachers were wonderful with everything I asked or my daughters if they needed help they were always there If your child wants to learn this is a great school for them they had fun learning and the rewards for having good grades was a very nice touch I just want to say thank you and sad they are in high school now again thank you for everything

Posted June 2, 2011

I think this school is amazing I am a student here. At first I was scared to go here , but when I got there it is like any normal school. I also learned a lot here and had no problem doing it. It is your child's choice to learn or not to learn. I chose learn and I was very successful.I know Northwest has a bad reputation, but that was the past and we are quickly recovering. We have new principles and new staff all we have to do is get parents involved and you need to encourage your child to listen! In honors this year I was challenged to think like I never had before and I learned a lot from the lessons and you can to!

Posted January 24, 2011

Not pleased at all. My son is in the 6th grade at Northwest and in Honors level classes. He has ADD and we have discussed this, at length, with his teachers. We have asked for their cooperation in managing his grades and asked that they keep us informed of his progress. Despite our requests, our son's grades in 2 classes have dropped to an "F" and there has been no contact from the teachers of these classes. (In one class, he dropped from an A and a B in the other.) The teachers stress that they will upload the students' grades on their website so that parents can monitor their grades, but many teachers go 2 or more weeks between updates. This can make it very difficult to make corrective action in time to help the child succeed. I had hoped to avoid this school because of what I'd heard, but we weren't fortunate enough. It's sad, but the school just doesn't seem to have the teachers dedicated to help improve the image (and performance) of the school.

Posted March 31, 2009

I have a son who is currently in the 7th grade at Northwest, and another who will be entering the school in the Fall. I am very pleased with what my son has achieved since being at Northwest. It is an awesome school, with a great administrative staff. I am involved at the school in many capacities, and am very pleased with the progress that Northwest is making. They are only getting better every year. It saddens me that a bad repuatation from 5-10 years ago can stay with a school forever. This is a community school, that are loosing so many students in the community to other , what they think are better Middle Schools. I also work for Knox County Schools, and I am very concerned about where my children get their education. We are very happy with Northwest.

Posted November 25, 2008

I am a senior in high school now, and quite frankly when I went to northwest, it was a little unsafe. However, I would never ever in a million years change the school i went too, northwest gave me some of the greatest moments i have ever had in my entire life, the teachers I had were absolutly wonderful and they sent me on the right track to high school where I am now, they dont sugar-coat things and that teaches so many real world lessons, I highly recommend this school!

Posted December 22, 2007

I went to Northwest Middle School 2 years ago and the school is a great school to send your child to because the teachers have great teaching methods.

Posted November 5, 2007

Northwest is a wonderful place to send your child and the value added scores that the school just received indicate that children are learning. All students are not going to learn the same amount at the same time. i am pleased that the scores show that learning is going up in the school for all children in all subjects. I am glad that my son and daughter attend Norhwest.

Posted October 19, 2007

Since my child has been at Northwest, she has had a wonderful experience. She is excelling in class and feels confident as she gets ready for high school. Truancy falls on the parent, not the school. Keep up the tremendous turnaround. Northwest has change so positively in academics and discipline since the administrators took over the mess Mr. Ward let happen while he was there. The morale, attitude, and environment is so improved with both staff and students!

Posted October 19, 2007

Northwest is making such a positive impression on my son. He loves to go to school and is excelling in class. I am glad that I sent my son to Northwest instead of switching schools! Mr. McCollum and the staff at the school are alway willing to help and assist without hesitation. This is the best I have seen Northwest and That goes back 15 years!!

Posted October 10, 2007

northwest has bad academic scores and a high truancy rate. I strongly dislike it!!!!!!!

Posted August 8, 2007

Northwest was my first choice in deciding where to teach. NMS students astound me daily with their inquisitive natures and desire for knowledge. I rarely assign formal homework, yet my students come to class with curriculum-related nuggets of information gleaned from newspapers, the internet, or life experience. My kids DO homework though I rarely assign it! Our TCAP scores show gains in most areas and surpass many area schools in some subjects. The 'failing' status assigned to us this year resulted from difficulties in attendance and a failure to make adequate yearly progress in one subgroup. Having interacted as a parent, a teacher, and a student with a number of Knox County schools, I find the faculty at NMS superior. My colleagues are devoted, caring, knowledgeable, and dynamic. Former students accurately report academic progress to me spontaneously. When a child reflects upon successes and failures and reports them honestly, That's success!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 3, 2007

I have not been pleased with the school for the last 2 years my child attended. Few teachers care whether your child is taught anything, is safe, etc.

Posted July 26, 2007

This school is making a tremendous turnaround with academics and discipline. You can finally send your child to Northwest and be assure of a safe environment and opportunities to learn. The administrative team is easy to work with and go out of there way to let you come in the school and visit. I am glad I decided to send my child to Northwest!

Posted July 16, 2007

Don't be fooled by the label of 'Failing School' northwest has many great things going on and judge them by your childs education not NCLB. Mr. mcCollum and his staff have done a fantastic job of reinventing school academics and discipline. Significant change will take time. The fifteen years of multiple principals, discipline and academic chaos cannot be solved overnight. Knox county has finally gotten an administrative team over at Northwest that is making a difference. Leave them in place. Our kids now love it!

Posted June 14, 2007

Northwest is a great school to send your child for a good education. The administration, and teachers work hard to insure a quality education for all the students. My experiences with Northwest are all pleasant. Mr. McCollum is very accessible and has a firm but fair discipline code in place. The TAP and AVID programs are making a difference with our kids as evidenced by the rising test scores. Go into Northwest now and the difference in the school environment is awesome. Keep up the Great Job!

Posted June 11, 2007

hi i wanted to write to tell every one the truth about northwest middle i think the school is great. the teachers my son had on team 6 A is wonderful teachers. my son learn alot and as far as wanting to set up a meeting with one or talk with one they got back with me by the end of the day. my son didnot have any problems. he had a great year. his grades was exalent. as far as homework he had his share of it. sometimes alittle to much but he done without any trouble. and if he did need any help from the teachers they did help him until he understand it. if you did go and had to talk to any of the priciples they took time and listen and took care of the problems .everyone their is great people

Posted May 25, 2007

This school has made a tremendous turnaround. The administration with Mr. McCollum in charge have the discipline under control. This school now allow our kids to learn and be safe. This school is now one of the better middle schools. Parents need to get involved and visit Northwest. They will be in for a very Big and pleasant surprise.

Posted May 24, 2007

Northwest is doing great! For those parents worried about the rumors on Northwest, that is in the past. Mr. McCollum and the administrators, and teachers have created an atmosphere of suoervision, learning, and discipline. It is fun to take your kids to Northwest once again. The community needs to see to it that they keep this administrative team in place, keeping the teachers, and fixing the school's zone.

Posted May 24, 2007

Northwest is a great school. Too much stuff from the past has effected the reputation of Northwest. That is too bad because The students that are going there will tell you that the discipline and learning there is great. Mr. McCollum has done a terrific job of turning that school around.Several several children in the neighborhood said they liked Northwest better then Gresham or Powell where they had gone before. I have been very pleased with the academics and discipline policy with the school. The parents just need to be more involved and help spread the word about the positive change at Northwest. the only parents That are upset at Northwest now are the ones going to pick up their child for being disciplined. That had not occurred in the past.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

229 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

247 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

White77%
Economically disadvantaged69%
Students with disabilities41%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 77%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (865) 594-1339

Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

• German

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5301 Pleasant Ridge Rd