Wilson Central High School

Public | 9-12

Posted July 25, 2011

Great school. Most of the teachers are great, principals are a lil to strict but other than that great school. Sports there are amazing, dress code has gotten better, the new lunch is great, and I'm proud to be a Wildcat!

Posted September 16, 2009

It is the BEST high school in Wilson County!There are so many nice teachers and staff just willing to help the parent as well as the child. Very caring staff!

Posted September 2, 2009

Wilson Central is an overall good school. It has various programs, and has a variety of classes to choose from. I feel that this is a great place to aim for success in your future life.

Posted May 5, 2009

This school is not that great you need a school thats good at what you want to become and not what your forced to learn science teachers here need better teaching habbits soccer and softball are amazing here but all in all traffics bad top parking lots real bad honers have it the worst but they could find a way for strip shorts but its ok i guess

Posted May 2, 2009

I am an attending freshman at this school and I love it here. The teachers and principals for the most part are really great. I wouldn't want to go to any other school.

Posted April 20, 2009

This school is awsome but to strict on dress code great teachers but some dont teach u anything.

Posted April 1, 2009

I went to this school and the faculty know little about teens who suffer from mental illnesses and do nothing to help the parents when these situations arise in their children.

Posted November 2, 2008

As a student of Wilson Central, I love it. Of course there are the students who just don't care and the teachers the same. Find me a school where it isn't that way. A large majority of students request honors coarses and are involved in athletics and performing arts. The athletic teams do quite well in my opinion and so do the choir and band. The dress code, you may ask? It is not the schools fault because it is the school board that ultimately decides. Plus it is really flexible and easy for your child to 'express themselves'. The admistration is run by the awesome Mr. Mayfield and the other ones, they could be a bit nicer. :) All in all, this school runs pretty smoothly and your child will recieve a better education than provided through the majority of the provided private schools.

Posted October 22, 2008

I personally love WCHS! It's the best school ever!!!!! I am an honors student in 10th grade and make all A's. Wilson Central is a huge influence in my life and it is what has helped make me into what I am today: a confident, outgoing, smart student! =)

Posted May 8, 2008

I have 2 daughters who choose to go to public school, after being home schooled for 7 years. Their disappointment comes in the lack of respect and desire for knowledge in the students. They feel the teachers try their best to teach in an environment that without rules would be much worse. Try it!

Posted April 29, 2008

School is not very good because they are far to rule bound and have some of the most silly rules of any school, This school also seems to get students into trouble quite frequently for reasons that would not be considered bad in my opinion. I do not reccomend this school but if you are in this district you dont have much choice.

Posted January 31, 2008

I have had 2 daughters to go through WCHS. My oldest graduated in 2004 and my youngest is a current student. My experience has been with both administrations (original and current). I agree with the poster below that Mr Mayfield is terrific. The staff is involved and caring. Rarely a day can go by that the school isn't open and active well past dark. Given a choice I'd still send my girls to Central. And the dress code? Give me a break, we ALL adhere to a dress code and it certainly isn't going to kill them to dress APPROPRIATELY.

Posted January 14, 2007

I'm a parent AND an employee at WCHS. Yes, the dress code is strict, but it's certainly not impossble. As for team hoodies, they can be worn around town, out on a date, at after school activities,etc - just not in class. That's pretty simple. Like most high schools, your child's experience will be what they make it. If your child chooses an academically challenging route, Central has plenty of AP classes and even a 'dual enrollment' course where they can take college classes from local professors and gain college credits. Both of my children chose this route and were well prepared for college and received full scholarships. Both of my kids played a varsity sport and one was also involved in the fine arts program, also good experiences. Our new principal, Mayfield, is FANTASTIC! He's righting the wrongs as quickly as he can. WC gets an A- .

Posted August 27, 2005

This school is very strict on their dress code, but that is mostly because of the school board. The School Board is one of the worst in the state, but the school is great. We have great athletic teams and great arts programs. The halls are really crowded, but they are planning on building an addition starting this fall, so that should help us witht the fullness of the school. Most of the teachers at Central a great and like doing what they do, with a few exceptions. Central is one of the best schools in the county and i would not want to go anywhere else. Most of the student body is so involved in activities in the school whether it be from sports to band to FFA to ROTC to Drama or whatever a person is interested in. This is a great school.

Posted January 10, 2005

I support a dress code, but I believe revisions need to be made. I speak for many parents at WHC. We belive that the students of all Wilson County schools and all grade should be able to wear their schoold logo, even if it is larger than 3x4. I purchased football and wrestling hoodies for my son. The WCH logo went across the chest. He was sent to ISS twice. He was told that he could wear the hoody inside out! That looks terrible. I could have gone to the local store and purchased my son a plain hoody for $5, instead of paying a higher price. I like supporting the school and the athletic programs. This dress code makes it impossible. Once again, I agree with a dress code, the students look nice. Athletes and non athletes are proud of their School. Each should be able to wear their school logo.

Posted December 15, 2004

While I do not agree with the counties dress code and how spastically WCH enforces (or doesnt)I do believe my child is receiving a good education at this school. I do feel the principal should take into account needs, and reasoning behind needing to drop/add certain classes. His lack of interest in that aspect has been a disappointment. The school is still suffering from 'new school' growing pains, in that teachers are having to teach without text books, some classes are still needing basic equipment such as proper stools in drafting classes. A great deal of my expierence with WCHS is thru my daughter who is an academic over achiever. The students she associates with have more to do with my opinion of the school than that of actual interaction with faculty and administration.

Posted November 1, 2004

Despite the advantages they portray in this advertisement, this school is highly overrated. The hallways are unpassable during class changes and this county's school system is one of the worst in the state. If your child has all A average, but misses because of the flu, expect to take finals. If your child is caught wearing a logo, frayed pants or even to tight/loose pants expect to either spend the day in iss or be sent home unexcused. As a parent this school seems more like a prison than a school!

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

388 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

392 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

479 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

479 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

390 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

419 High School Dr