Lebanon, TN

Posted August 31, 2014
I have three children currently ages 22, 16, 8. Over the years, they have gone to every school in this district. Coles Ferry was terrific as well as Sam Houston. I've recently transferred my youngest from Castle Heights to Byars Dowdy. The entire staff has treated my child like a VIP since the day she walked in the door. They treat us like family and are concerned with every aspect of her academics, recreation and emotions. They communicate with me readily via email. We have a 504 and the principal recently told me "regardless of this 504, we don't need a piece of paper to tell us to give your child our very best" That speaks volumes about the kind of people they are. If you are considering a change or are being re-zoned, you will be LUCKY to be a part of this organization. The class size is quite small with lots of individual attention. You will experience the same at Winfree Bryant MIddle School, next door. The principal runs a tight ship and the kids thrive on positive authority and she is always supportive to students as well as parents, 100%. To sum up: Go for a tour, meet the staff, get a feel for the atmosphere at Byars, you won't regret it. I can't give them enough stars!

Byars Dowdy Elementary School 2

Posted February 14, 2014
We moved from Coles Ferry 2 yrs ago due to not being in district anymore and I have not been pleased with the school. We miss Coles Ferry. I have been fairly pleased with the teachers. My son has had issues from the principle that I feel were unfair at times. He is very hyper at times and I understand that can be hard to handle at times, but the principle has proven to me twice that she is not there for my child. I have witnessed more than one occasion of her not being able to handle herself in a professional manner. I have not cared for her since, so hard to trust in this school. I cannot wait to move to another school.

Posted January 15, 2010
My Daughter started Kindergarten at Byars Dowdy this year. I have to say I was very apprehensive about her going to School as we had some safety issues at a Christian Mother's Day Out program the summer before. My husband and I have been extremely pleased with her progress. We absolutely love her teacher as she has went above and beyond to ensure the students are learning and getting the attention they deserve and need. I love that the children are not just 'shuffled' through the system. The school offers a well rounded curriculum in which my daughter enjoys the arts, p.e., Ksmart, as well as learning in the classroom EVERY DAY! I love this school and so does our little girl. Thanks Byars Dowdy for making our daughter's first year of school so wonderful and setting my mind at ease!

Posted December 02, 2008
This is the first year my children have attended Byars Dowdy. We had been at another elementary school in Lebanon that was suppose to be 'top notch'. I was a little nervous about moving my children to a new school after we moved. However, the staff and teachers have made my whole family feel welcome. They always have smiling faces and kind words. I have also found that my children are learning more and challenged more than at the previous 'top notch' school. We love Byars!!

Byars Dowdy Elementary School 3

Posted September 05, 2008
I had 2 children go through this school. Most of the teachers are okay to pretty good, however with everyone being soooo concerned about 'No Child Left Behind', it seems that the intelligent ones do get 'left behind' in that they are not challenged and become bored very easily. If one of these children slacks due to boredom, they are pointed out in front of peers. What good does that do? None, it just causes more loss of interest and feeling bad because they are already teased for being smart. Why not put children who score in the same range on TCAPs in the same class? The slower ones wouldn't feel bad or dumb and the smarter kids would challenge each other to learn, not get bored and give up on school at such an early age......

Posted December 05, 2007
My granddaughter attends Byars Dowdy. She is now in the 3rd grade and I have been very pleased with her teachers and the staff at Byars Dowdy. They get the education they need in today's world, but the school still offers the warm and coze atmosphere of a small town school. Thanks to everyone, and a Very Merry Christmas!

Posted December 04, 2007
I am so pleased with the principal and staff of this school. These people geniunely care for the students and their well being and above all their education. They are truely following the no student left behind program and are remarkable in making every student feel special and important. Keep up the good work!

Posted October 10, 2007
I have 3 children. My oldest child attend a different school his first 2 years of school in the LSSD. It was a good school, but does not compare to Byars Dowdy. It is an awesome school! The teachers are focused on academics and it shows on their test scores. When you visit you will feel welcome. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. We love Byars Dowdy!!!

904 Hickory Ridge Road, Lebanon, TN  37087
Last modified Byars Dowdy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Byars Dowdy Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top