School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As evidenced by recent assessment data, our students are making academic gains. Parent and community support continues to increase. We have two additional pencil partners and neighboring residents and businesses that contribute to our school. Come see for yourself.
December 06, 2013

Bad
Good

This school is horrible!! The behavior of the kids is beyond out of control. My child is no where near prepared for high school and is constantly bullied. No matter how many times you complain or who you reach out to for help, nothing ever changes because the kids know that there will not be any consequences so they continue bad behavior. I would never recommend any parent to send their child here unless you want them to start high school way behind and their self esteem shredded.

I have taught as a substitute at this school and not had any problems. NBMS is like most schools in America where you have some students there to learn and some students not there to learn. I believe if parents are firm with their expectations for their child behavior then it can improve learning for everyone. Parents handle your business with your child and take ownership when your child is not part of the solution for a better school.

great school. I like that its club activity are really cool and awesome. well on thing is that I don't really think it need inprovement

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted December 06, 2013

Neely's Bend Middle...Oh i forgot one thing to add, cause i ran out of room. They discriminate. I have seen it first hand. My DAUGHTER complain about something and they blew her off, but another kid come up with almost the same problem, but of different race and they handled the situation much quicker. Then they wonder why the kid's act the way they do. Only cause they see how the Teachers and Staff act to the kids. WE FOUGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM AND TO BE TREATED EQUALLY YEARS AGO. I don't know, but it is really messed up. Then the School wants to blame the Parents for how our kid's act, well um maybe it is the stuff that happens at School. So the Teacher's need to stop blaming us Parents and look at themselves for a change. The Principal is the one telling the Teacher's what to do. So the issue is the Principal and they way he is treating the situations..Think of how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. Not nice at all. Your reviews will not get any better if you don't change things soon. Again this is only my opinion and feelings on this matter.

This school's problems begin and end with administration. The principal does not assist teachers with discipline policy. Mr. Hammonds told team to create and enforce discipline within each grade level. So many steps have to be taken before a student can be referred to the office, that those students who should be separated from their peers, are a constant interruption to learning within the classrooms. It is not fair to students who want to learn that teachers have to spend the majority of the day simply managing poor behaviors rather than being able to TEACH. There are no true consequences for even outrageous behavior beyond a couple of days suspension. I have NEVER taught at a school with such lack of true principal involvement. The students behavior doesn't even change when the head principal enters a classroom. Learning BEGINS with classroom management and because this is the only thing teachers can spend their time and effort doing, great lesson plans put together with true care for the students, go to waste! A change has to be made at this school regarding the administration's lack of involvement in discipline. Teachers have attempted to discuss this with Mr. Hammonds but...

WORST SCHOOL EVER! the only reason i gave this 2 stars is because it won't let me give it 1........this is my sons 3rd year at this school.. its gotten so bad we are moving. i have watched 10 friends pull their children out of this school this year alone. the new principal seems to be doing ok but the teachers are horrible and treat the kids like criminals. 7th grade is treated like the red-headed step child. they are last for everything. the teachers are bullys and don't teach anything. i'm surprised this school hasn't been turned into a charter school. the boys can't even dress out for p.e because one student broke a sink the rest of the boys are being punished. no restroom breaks and they can't have any water all day.. its like they are in prison.. i hate my son is treated like a criminal and he is a really good kid. i hate this school.. i would recommend going to Madison Middle if you are moving into this area.. its a lot better school.

no matter what you all think nbms is the the best middle schools! unlike palces like goodletsville middle they dont let us do watter ever we want. the school is sorta strict but it wants us to be the best that we can be.you have seen the everday life of a neelys bend student!

This is the worst school you could ever go to.The students have no respect for teachers and the teachers don't do anything to make the students better behave themselves.The students over here are too mean to others.The teachers don't even teach the students anything,they just give them work.My mom says I'm definitely moving schools next year because of this.

Our children have had a great experience at this school. I think that the new principal has a no nonsense approach and alot of parents have not been use to this at Neely's Bend Middle. When I have visited I can tell that the children are better behaved and my children enjoy going to school now.

Last modified Neely's Bend Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.