Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Too much (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Heritage Middle School 5

Posted August 10, 2016
I have had one child go through HMS and one that is there currently. I have been very pleased with the teachers and the education they have received. The bad reviews I have read here are ridiculous. I don't know what they are talking about with the text book fees. I don't ever remember having to pay for damaged books. I have never had to directly deal with the principal or the VP as my children do not have behavioral issues.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 10, 2016
My child only has occasional homework. She uses any extra time at school to finish most of what they give her.

Posted April 25, 2016
Administrative staff are pathetic, the old saying you're as good as the top, well we know what happen to some not all of the teachers at this school. The Principal is a joke, disrespectful and the most unprofessional inconsiderate person i have ever met. I'm appalled at the lack of interest or concern for the education of these kids. How they can get away with things they do is beyond me but i truly believe what comes around goes around and you don't get by with stuff forever.

Heritage Middle School 2

Posted January 26, 2016
Lets start with lack of responsibility for safety of the children! A very disrespectful assistant principle who thinks she is above everyone and seems she gets off on having some lind of hunger for power!! First incident i called ahead to have my daughter take the bus home (o pick her up from school alot) and i was assured they would see to it that she rode the bus home. Hmmm i waited and waited and she never got off the bus. So i called the school and was told they put her on the bus. Well, long story short, i had to have a friend go pick her up because the bus driver refused her the bis ride. Found out next day the school staff member was putting her on the wrong bus. Second incident was similar but this time i was told that they know what bus she rode. Yet, i ended up going to the school to find my daughter aitn on a bench without any adult supervision feom the school and all alone. Not under a canopy either. Third and recent incident my daughter was given detention because her and a boy were horseplaying and the boy hot scratched on the back of the neck. Detention ends at 4:20pm. I arrive at 4pm to wait for her and rpund 4:45pm i walk into the school to see why had she not been released from detention. 3 different staff members reported to me the not only did my daughter not show up for detention but no one other kid did. I responded that thats impossible because i had made sure she understood that she must stay for detention. Again, another teacher (who happens to be the one in charge of detention that day) says my daughter isnt there. Again i stated that my daughter is in the school abd that they are responsible for making sure she is safe. At that point a "coach" yells ay me to calm down and pops his bird chest out. Well ill admit by that time im am beyond upset. So i tols them they will look for my daughter period!! Well, guess what? My daughter was in the classroom of the p.o.s teacher that was in charge of detention all along!!! Here it is 2 weeks later and the assistant principle (whom ive had the unpleasant experiance in the past of having contact with) calls me to threaten me with a treaspassin warrant if i had another confrontation. As i begin to calmly explain to her what had happened she raises her voice to tell me to have a nice day and hangs up!! If i could change schools for my daughter i would.

Posted September 03, 2015
ritage middle school a horrible terrible review because I am a step parent to a child that attends the school her phone was taken from her and The Principal wanted me to provide custody papers to pick up my child cell phone which I paid for in full is my property and because I did not have my physical custody papers I could not get her phone but I am on the list to come to the school and sign her out of school so I can physically take the child from the school but I can not pick the phone up from the school does this make sense to anybody anywhere into all those step parents out there if your kids phone gets taken away you better have custody papers to pick it up this is the most ridiculous absurd excuse for holding someone's property I've ever heard of really considering after all of this signing her out of the school and transferring her to another school because of this ridiculous policy I had to leave work take a point at work lose money to drive all the way from Lenoir City to the school to get her phone and I have to drive back without it

Heritage Middle School 4

Posted August 22, 2015
My family moved from out of state. I am shocked and astounded by the vile reviews of schools in this region. I often feel parents and students have no clue how schools away from here, especially in other states, are. Compared to the schools my children use to attend, HMS is incredible. I have had nothing but positive interactions with the staff and teachers. There are opportunities for many interests and significantly more academic opportunities than my children would have been offered in IL. My only complaint is the importance placed on sports. I think sports should be a compliment to an education not placed as more important than academic pursuits. I cannot say that the staff is to blame for this though because the community makes the demand for sports and the schools meet that demand.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 22, 2015
The teachers are somewhat effective and I do not say this as an insult to the teachers but because of a detriment in the way society and government now approach education. Funding is given based on test scores rather than need. Teachers have to teach what will be on a test rather than what will allow students to grow and improve.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted August 22, 2015
I think that the current trend to assign as little homework as possible is hurting students. Learning outside of the classroom is important and homework assignments can improve the responsibility of the student. I think too many parents are focused on not wanting to help their children with homework and allowing them time to play multiple sports.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted August 22, 2015
In some ways, the school develops honesty, integrity and fairness in students but not all students are able to participate in clubs and activities that focus on such traits. Even the best of intentions cannot overcome a refusal to learn and a lack of desire to be more than what is easy to be.

Posted May 08, 2015
This school is horrible. The administrative staff are rude with no consideration for the families of the children that attend the school. They look for reasons to suspend the students and send them to Everett due to the over crowding. It is sad that I would rather have my child at the alternative school than Heritage Middle. When I went to pull my child out to enroll them in the online school Heritage Middle refused to release her. I had to call a lawyer. One phone call from the lawyer and they released her that day. They also are trying to charge my child for books that she turned in to Everett two years ago. The books total roughly $400. Why is this school not being held accountable for their fraud?!

3737 East Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN  37804
Last modified Heritage Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.