Heritage High School

Public | 9-12 | 1632 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 31, 2012

DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN TO THIS SCHOOL IF YOU CARE ABOUT THEM AND THEIR FUTURE!!! Constant Fights, Arrogant Administrators, Underqualified Teachers (they do not know how to teach), Filthy Environment, and the list goes on and on! After 1 year we pulled our child out and enrolled them into a different area school. Sad that I need to pay for my childs education.....but at least now I am confident in my childs future.

Posted August 4, 2011

I graduated from Heritage last May, and I have to say regardless of what anyone may say, Heritage is an amazing school! It is the only school I've ever attended, where I felt like teachers actually cared about me, not only as a grade, but as a person. True, our scores may not be the best, but high school isn't just about academics, it's about meeting people, learning how the real world functions, how to deal with people that you would not interact with under any other circumstances.

Posted August 2, 2011

Please do your children a favor and do not send them to this school! I graduated from HHS in '88 and my daughter will graduate from there in 2012. Unfortunately, it has been all down hill since I left. You will be able to tell by reading the reviews on this site what kind of education the students are getting.....constant misspellings and grammatical errors galore. There are students spitting tobacco in the floors with nothing being done about it. This school is truly the joke of Blount County. I feel sorry for my daughter, and if I could go back and do it over again, I would pay to send her to private school where she could get the education and support that she deserves. I cannot get any support from the staff there. They have an arrogant and complacent attitude and are unwilling to help. If you are considering moving to this county, move to the William Blount zone. It is the lesser of two evils.

Posted February 9, 2010

I currently attend this school and i must say im not very impressed with its accademic classes, but it has an exceptional vocational program.

Posted September 23, 2009

Heritage High School is one of the best schools by far to send your kids. My kids go there and they love it.

Posted September 18, 2009

I attend Heritage High School and I must say it is alot better than other schools I have attended. Our principal leadership is more then 3 stars, more then 5 truthfully, and the same goes for the teacher quality, extracurricular, activities, parent involvement, and safety/discipline. So 3 stars isn't enough to even explain how amazing this school is. Sincerely, Aimee Benson.

Posted July 14, 2009

wow i graduated from heritage in 79 and loved the school.had excellent teachers.now both my son,s go to heritage.jr and sr.im proud both go to heritage because most parents cant say there children went to the schools they went to.both my son,s get a kick out of the fact that there dad was in the same classes they are.my youngest son said his firsy day his soph year,his teacher asked him if his dad was me and he said yes.so that told him id find out if he wasent doing his work.excellent school though.

Posted June 17, 2009

I Graduated from Heritage High School in 2007, located at the base of the Smoky Mountains; Heritage alone stands out among other schools with the overwhelming presence of the mountains instilling a senesce of patriotism and pride. Before I began my journey at Heritage... I was destined to embark on the journey of another school in Blount County. I had heard rumors of how Heritage was the worst school in the county and how I would never go anywhere if I went there. My mother was outraged of the school zone policy and expressed herself clearly at the Board of Education meeting. I still remember to this day my mom coming home late telling me the next day I would start classes at Heritage High School, and I sobered myself with shame. She had told me at the meeting that the principal of Heritage High had came up to her and told her that I would be taken care of at Heritage. I found little comfort in this message and before I went to bed I remember asking God to take care of me, and if this truly was His will for me that I be taken care of. My first day, I remember feeling God s presence all over the place and I still feel it walking back in there to this very day. My time at Heritage High School was literally the best experience I had ever had. I flew threw my courses, not because they were easy, but because of the challenges my instructors had placed before me. Any student who attends this high school has the potential to excel beyond their wildest dreams. One of the fundamental things Heritage teaches all of there students is how to get ready for the real world and that s what is all about.

Posted December 18, 2008

I am currently a student at Heritage. From the moment I walked in those doors I had a terrible feeling. I have been here for two semesters and of the 8 classes I have had, my history and government classes have probably taught me more than any of the other teachers tried get across to me. Now, at my last school I was an A - B student. My first semester here, the loswest on my report card was a 96 and I read atleast 1 book every week, reading mostly in my classes. It is truly sad the way the counselers treat seniors. I and many of my friends recieved little to no help with searching for scholarships and the right colleges for us. I am seriously worried that the fact that I had no help could jepordize my future in college. Do not sent your children here .

Posted January 8, 2008

HHS is has a awesome principal, Mrs. Mandigo and has a good staff(most atleast). Also, HHS doesn't have the best books, computer, sports equipment, or w/e else you'd say but the people are loving and show real southern hospitality. I'm in advanced classes and they are tough! I pass them, but they are challenging and teach you many things you need to know for you college carrer. Bad things do happen, but HHS is great!

Posted October 19, 2007

i graduated from heritage in 2003 and wouldn't have gone to any other school. the faculty and students there made it feel more like a family than a school. everyone was very close and helped each other out whenever possible. i loved it!

Posted August 3, 2007

My oldest Daughter graduated 2007 class from Heritage High School with Honors and has accepted a scholarship to Maryville College on Academics.She participated in Child Developement as well as Health Occupation which she will follow her career in.I think this school was great for my child.You get back what effort you are willing to give as a student.Softball was great and a Big part of her high school life.I now have another Daughter starting as a Freshman this Year and look forward to doing it all again.

Posted October 23, 2006

Our fourth child will graduate from Heritage High School this year. The three oldest children have graduated from out of state universities and excelled in their careers. Heritage, like any school, is what your student puts into it. You can sign up for classes that are a waste of time or you can attend those which will challenge you. There are some excellent accelerated History, Music,and English teachers who really care about their students learning something. One positive thing I have found over the last 10 years at this High School is the caring attitude of most of the faculty.There is real family atmosphere at the school.I have always felt welcome as a parent. We have had a great experience. Looking at my children's college experiences, the proof is in the pudding!

Posted January 10, 2006

Public schools are well known to have a great deal of problems. However, where HHS stands apart is the degree of severity found in the problems there. First, incredibly excessive ammounts of time is simply wasted; I can't even begin to count how many books I've read waiting. Second, the expectations set by the majority (key word majority) of teachers is about as low as the economic wealth of Haiti. Not only is time wasted, but when they finally do get to teaching the subject material's difficulty is more on par with what a middle schooler should be learning. Additionally, the school has special classes proceeded by 'tech' which, as unbelievable as it may sound, are even easier. Finally, several adminstrators seem to believe they are not running a school but a prison and behave accordingly. HHS should be the last place you send your college bound son or daughter.

Posted August 16, 2005

I live in Townsend and there is nothing about Townsend that raises trouble. HHS is a good school and great teachers and the womens basketball program is incredible with players breaking records previously held by such superstars and Sue Bird.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 30, 2005

I must say that i believe Heritage High School is one the best school ever. I used to attend Karns community schools and i must say that Heritage is 10 times better. The people there are so nice!!! They welcomed me instead of pushing me away and just ignoring me when i first changed schools. I wouldnt change Heritage for the world i love the school and the sports programs are awesome!! The girls basketball team wins and the softball team has gotten to be awesome!!!

Posted March 1, 2005

This is not a good school. The students do not learn very much. Many teachers and coaches are unsupportive. My daughter does hardly anything in her classes, never has homework and gets grades above A's. The grading is way too easy. The pricipal is not helpful or supportive. The basketball program is terrible. They are downright mean to the kids and never reward hardwork. The kids steal and the principal just has the attitude that the 'kids have sticky fingers at this school' but does nothing to stop theft.

Posted March 1, 2005

Heritage is by far the worst school my daugher has ever attended. She learns nothing, even in advanced classes. She reads over 100 pages daily of her own book during class lag time. Teachers are ill-prepared and unchallenging. The track program is a good program. The coaches are encouraging. Heritage does nothing to help troubled kids mostly from Townsend, instead they kick them out of school as soon as they get in any trouble and most don't graduate. Not a good school.

Posted February 3, 2005

Well I attended Heritage High School for all 4 years of high school. I must say that i loved it, the football games, the school spirit and my friends. I have to comment on the awesome DECA program that has been established. I was member of DECA for 3 years and also a DECA officer. In my opinion I think they have one of the best vocational programs around! I will comment that there a few select teachers that could really care less about helping their students, but most of the teachers are great and are easy to get along with. As long as you have a good attitude and outgoing personality you should be fine.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 13, 2004

I go to Heritage High School, this is my second year there, I am not satisfied with any of the school. They do not keep my mother invovled in any of my work. Only if there is a problem with me at school. I am not the best student but I try to be. If you are not an 'A' student they do not think you can be. I have been yelled at for trying 'to go and smoke' in the morning on my way to tutoring, when I wasn't. Most teachers I have come across are not there for the right reasons. I want to learn, I want to do better, but if they do not trust any student? or respect them? Why should I or any other student care? This school has many problems, hopefully students, and/or parents, will get invovled and try to change them.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

410 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

420 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

400 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3741 East Lamar Alex Parkway