Maryville High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 27, 2013

I attended an incoming freshman student meeting designed for parents. This was the summer before Maryville opened up the Maryville 9th Grade Academy at the former Maryville Middle School, now designated as the Maryville Junior High School??? This meeting consisted of 45 minutes of bragging about ACT scores at MHS, but very little about a student's adjustment to MHS. It turned-out to be a pointless 1 hour+ meeting. Before you prepare to hold a meeting with incoming parents, please consider what these parents and incoming students may need to know, and create a script with that information outlined. DO NOT waste the parent's and student's time bragging for 45+ minutes about your past success on the ACT.

Posted March 10, 2011

This school is all about popularity, religion, and money. The school is all good 'ol boy operated. Staff cares nothing about students, only the football team. Many students are rich and snobby, while I have seen much pot smokers. Theschool is old and is typical the souther bible belt views and beliefs.

Posted November 24, 2010

I strongly suggest not sending your child here i attended three years here and i was finally able to move to start my senior year. People talk about the county schools in the area being drug schools. I have never in my life seen so many pot smokers in one place. But of course most kids parents are rich and allow their perfect children to pull the hood over there eyes and would never believe their kids would do drugs. This is a severely preppy school with severely stuck up parents, teachers, principles, and students. If football is the reason you want to send your kid here think twice and send them to one of the knoxville private schools that win state every year.

Posted September 28, 2010

Maryville High School has been known in the past as a great school, however, it has lost it compassion and love for the students. It is very test driven and score focused. Teachers are frustrated with the lack of leadership quality and they take it out on the kids with sarcasm and humiliation. This school needs some up-to-date training on how students learn. The school can not accomodate the population adequately which is another frustration for both students and teachers. The school board and director needs to step-up and take charge, by providing adequate space, qualified teahers that care about the whole student, and competent administrators. It is no longer about being a great football team. There is more important things to address. The new school being built in Maryville should be a NEW HIGH SCHOOL not an intermediate school.

Posted October 2, 2009

My boys are receiving an excellent education and life experience at Maryville High. Just another step in developing great men and the final school in an excellent system!

Posted August 23, 2009

I think that some of the people talking negative about Maryville High may need to look at their children first. My children are getting a fantastic education from Maryville and we are very middle class. I think if you look at the academic standards set forth my Maryville, they stand tall compared to any school in Tennessee. The average ACT score is a 24.1 where the state is sligtly over 20. Another great thing is that over 90% of graduates go to a 4 yr college, regardless of income or social status. The school is very well rounded when it comes to Theater, Music, Athletics and Academics. We are blessed to have found Maryville schools and are children will have a great education. Oh, by the way, we have a Senior, 8th grader and 5th grader. We have had the opportunity to have children in all phases of the School system.

Posted January 29, 2009

We absolutely hate Maryville City Schools. Our son has had problems from day one. We moved here Michigan where the school systems are top notch and don't boast about it day and night. He was picked on for being a 'Yankee'. If your child is a male and not involved in football, be prepared for the problems. We have tried to work with the teachers on up to the principal and we are treated as if we have no right to question a decision. If anyone asked me if they should send their kids to Maryville, the answer would be NO!

Posted December 17, 2008

Looking at it from an alumni's point of view, I disagree with a lot of the statements below. I went to MHS and I wasn't in AP or Honors class, nor did I participate in sports, and I still got treated fairly. Unless you have gone to the school and spent at least a year or two there, no one can really say that their programs aren't good or they need new ones, because if it weren't for MHS I wouldn't be as advanced in college as I am. Also when it comes to english classes, students who went to other area highschools has no idea, or most of the time, they had no idea what MLA format was or how to write an english paper correctly.Lastly, some parents should take a good look at their children & try to figure out why they aren't fitting in.

Posted October 31, 2008

I rate the Education that Maryville gives to its students at a 10, but I give the school a very low mark when it comes to how students are treated that transfer from out of state. If you are not from the state, you are labeled right away.

Posted September 27, 2008

My children have attended Maryville schools, and absolutely hated the experience. The school is extremeley cliquish. The only things that matter are sports and family Income. I attended a very prestigious Medical/Professional University, which I was able to get into academically, not because of my family income. While I was there, it was obvious that the students that were there bought their way into universities, not by performing academically. My kids are motivated with school and get good grades, but don' t fit in because they wear the wrong clothes. So what exactly are they teaching there? PS. My university makes Vanderbilt look like a grade school..

Posted February 7, 2008

My second and youngest daughter graduated from Maryville High last year. She is now attedning college in Virginia with a very decent scholarship. My oldest daughter graduated 2 years prior and will be graduating college next year and credits her education at maryville high for helping her thru college. Most of their closest friends also landed scholarships at good colleges, including Vanderbilt. Maryville High school prepares students well for college. They have to work, they are challenged thru advanced classes but they do succeed in college. Yes, like any school there could be improvements, but if your child seeks to learn, is willing to work and wants to go onto college, Maryville High school is the school that can help them..

Posted June 20, 2007

MHS is becoming overcrowded and may be renovating to accomodate the ridiculous number of 2200 plus students. This is still up in the air. Our sons fit in well here. Fortunately our boys have had sufficient life experiences elsewhere that enabled them to rise above the need to spend money to fit in. Very religious here, too. This was a minus for us.

Posted May 23, 2007

I attended Maryville High School, and my son is now a Freshman. My sister and I attended four year universities. The quality of the academic programs at Maryville helped us tremendously. My sister never made higher than a 'B' on an English paper, but her English teacher at Bostan University thought she wrote well enough to be an English major. I work in Oak Ridge, but I live in Maryville because of the school system. People like to talk about state championships in sports, but I am more impressed by the character and integrity that the coaching staff has. I also enjoy my access to my son's teachers. I get one on one time with them as often as I need, and they are great at using email to inform me. Ratings are always subjective, but I can't imagine a better high school experience.

Posted July 27, 2006

I currently attend Maryville High. I am going to be a sophomore, and I enjoy every second of school. I have a small group of friends in the band, but we all have fun. The arts program is very well, the teachers are all nice with the exception of a few. The only thing I dislike is that sports have a higher place over the band and drama section. That is okay, though, because the sports are wonderful. I love all the courses I took over the past three years. I'm excited to take my classes this year. There are cliques, but where aren't there? To those of you wo complain about it, they aren't leaving. Cliques will follow you everywhere you go. I love it here. Everything about it is great.

Posted April 15, 2006

As a recent graduate of Maryville High School, I feel that the quality of education that I received is very high. I now attend a private, very selective, 4-year college. I am positive that Maryville High School prepared me well for this institution. MHS offers many AP and honors classes for their students to make the best of their high school education. I do believe that teachers are more geared towards 4-year colleges, however, somehow I don't see this as a bad thing. Teachers expect the most out of their students. I think that's why a 4-year degree is pressed so hard upon students. As far as extracurricular activities go, I was always busy. MHS has a standard of excellence where students involvement is concerned as well. High school is always clique-ish. I never felt like I fit in, but I don't blame that on the school.

Posted January 14, 2006

I also graduated from Maryville. I think that Maryville is geared more towards those students who are college bound. I also think that Maryville is geared more towards those students who are going into a 4 year college and not those who are starting out at a 2 year college such as myself. Maryville does have its groups of certain kinds of people who hang out together - but what school dosen't? If I had to choose between schools in Blount County, I would choose either Maryville or Alcoa for the academic programs that seem to excel over the others. But that cannot be the ONLY reason you send your child to Maryville. They do seem to be lakcing on their other vocations - such as shop, woodworking, etc... I still had a great 4 years there though. :-) Although it was a while back.

Posted December 23, 2005

I graduated from Maryville. I think it should be noted that this school is very clique minded, and that children who do not come from a family with a large income do not fit in very well. Emphasis is placed on college readiness, however students who have other interests such as vocational, arts, music, etc., are left in the shadows. This staff at the school is very snobby--once you get to know them. They, too, seem to generally look down on students who are not heading off to a four year university. This is not the school for a child who has trouble fitting in. Many of the students drive vehicles that are more expensive than cars driven by many adults I know. (It should be noted that while I did fit in, hindsight has opened up my eyes to the many faults of Maryville.)

Posted January 2, 2004

I feel confident that Maryville City Schools have the highest quality educational program in the area.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

377 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

376 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

303 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

825 Lawrence Av