Maryville, TN
Students enrolled: 1,499

Maryville High School 5

Posted April 27, 2015
MHS is a great high school. My wife is a graduate and she credits MHS with giving her the academic preparation to succeed in college and go on to earn three degrees. I have seen other members of my wife's family graduate from MHS and all have gone on college and had great success. It is one of the main reasons why we chose to live and raise our children in Maryville.

Maryville High School 2

Posted April 27, 2013
I attended an incoming freshman student meeting designed for parents. This was the summer before Maryville opened up the Maryville 9th Grade Academy at the former Maryville Middle School, now designated as the Maryville Junior High School??? This meeting consisted of 45 minutes of bragging about ACT scores at MHS, but very little about a student's adjustment to MHS. It turned-out to be a pointless 1 hour+ meeting. Before you prepare to hold a meeting with incoming parents, please consider what these parents and incoming students may need to know, and create a script with that information outlined. DO NOT waste the parent's and student's time bragging for 45+ minutes about your past success on the ACT.

Maryville High School 1

Posted March 10, 2011
This school is all about popularity, religion, and money. The school is all good 'ol boy operated. Staff cares nothing about students, only the football team. Many students are rich and snobby, while I have seen much pot smokers. Theschool is old and is typical the souther bible belt views and beliefs.

Maryville High School 1

Posted November 24, 2010
I strongly suggest not sending your child here i attended three years here and i was finally able to move to start my senior year. People talk about the county schools in the area being drug schools. I have never in my life seen so many pot smokers in one place. But of course most kids parents are rich and allow their perfect children to pull the hood over there eyes and would never believe their kids would do drugs. This is a severely preppy school with severely stuck up parents, teachers, principles, and students. If football is the reason you want to send your kid here think twice and send them to one of the knoxville private schools that win state every year.

Maryville High School 3

Posted September 28, 2010
Maryville High School has been known in the past as a great school, however, it has lost it compassion and love for the students. It is very test driven and score focused. Teachers are frustrated with the lack of leadership quality and they take it out on the kids with sarcasm and humiliation. This school needs some up-to-date training on how students learn. The school can not accomodate the population adequately which is another frustration for both students and teachers. The school board and director needs to step-up and take charge, by providing adequate space, qualified teahers that care about the whole student, and competent administrators. It is no longer about being a great football team. There is more important things to address. The new school being built in Maryville should be a NEW HIGH SCHOOL not an intermediate school.

Posted October 02, 2009
My boys are receiving an excellent education and life experience at Maryville High. Just another step in developing great men and the final school in an excellent system!

Posted August 23, 2009
I think that some of the people talking negative about Maryville High may need to look at their children first. My children are getting a fantastic education from Maryville and we are very middle class. I think if you look at the academic standards set forth my Maryville, they stand tall compared to any school in Tennessee. The average ACT score is a 24.1 where the state is sligtly over 20. Another great thing is that over 90% of graduates go to a 4 yr college, regardless of income or social status. The school is very well rounded when it comes to Theater, Music, Athletics and Academics. We are blessed to have found Maryville schools and are children will have a great education. Oh, by the way, we have a Senior, 8th grader and 5th grader. We have had the opportunity to have children in all phases of the School system.

Posted January 29, 2009
We absolutely hate Maryville City Schools. Our son has had problems from day one. We moved here Michigan where the school systems are top notch and don't boast about it day and night. He was picked on for being a 'Yankee'. If your child is a male and not involved in football, be prepared for the problems. We have tried to work with the teachers on up to the principal and we are treated as if we have no right to question a decision. If anyone asked me if they should send their kids to Maryville, the answer would be NO!

Maryville High School 5

Posted December 17, 2008
Looking at it from an alumni's point of view, I disagree with a lot of the statements below. I went to MHS and I wasn't in AP or Honors class, nor did I participate in sports, and I still got treated fairly. Unless you have gone to the school and spent at least a year or two there, no one can really say that their programs aren't good or they need new ones, because if it weren't for MHS I wouldn't be as advanced in college as I am. Also when it comes to english classes, students who went to other area highschools has no idea, or most of the time, they had no idea what MLA format was or how to write an english paper correctly.Lastly, some parents should take a good look at their children & try to figure out why they aren't fitting in.

Posted October 31, 2008
I rate the Education that Maryville gives to its students at a 10, but I give the school a very low mark when it comes to how students are treated that transfer from out of state. If you are not from the state, you are labeled right away.

825 Lawrence Avenue, Maryville, TN  37803
Last modified Maryville High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maryville High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top