Bad
Good

We had a great experience with Sam Houston Elementary. I had 3 girls attending, 3rd, Kindergarten and PreK. All the teachers worked well with my girls to be sure they weren't bored. STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) is huge in this school district. My oldest was in an advanced class before we moved to Maryville. MCS does not offer that. So, that was a concern of mine. Her teacher made sure that she had plenty of appropriate work and activities to keep her occupied.

I went to this school during my elementary school years, and I must say it was a good school. The teachers were very nice and taught classes very well. Once I moved schools and was no longer in the Maryville City school system, I realized I was ahead of many of the students that I attended school with. This is a good school to send your child too. Sincerely, Past Student of Sam Houston

My daughter was in the first grade and she has some learning disability,I had went to her class to take her,her glasses when she told me she needed help.I told the assistant she needed help and in front of me the assistant began shouting actually shouting at my child for not understanding how to do the work.she yelled at her and said " I don't know why you don't know how to do it I just told the class how to do do it" ( my daughter has been diagnosed with a short term memory problem) I was completely thrown off on this and my daughter was hiding behind me.later In the year my daughter was punched by another child she told the teacher and the teacher called her a tattletale.I confronted the teacher and she admitted to it.every time there was a field trip and I didn't turn in the permission slip right away she would punish my daughter by not allowing her to have recess.they are bullies.i will definately be keeping an eye on the teachers and standing firm when they are wrong.I've. Had a few to many bad experiences with a few select teachers but there are some really fantastic teachers there also who care.

Sam Houston is an average school. There is not anything about Sam Houston that makes it stand out. In comparing the Maryville City Schools to the Blount County School System, parents will think any Maryville School is superior. This is because the county schools are so wanting. However, if you have lived in other cities and states and experienced excellent schools elsewhere, you realize that even the Maryville Schools (I have had students in 4 Maryville schools) are just average. The principal at Sam Houston is a nice man, but an average principal. Does he know each child's name? Does he know parent names and greet you by your name? Does he review and write a comment on each report card EACH 9 weeks? No, but I know principals elsewhere that do. Are the teachers at Sam Houston exceptional? There might be some, however, I did not encounter any while my child attended there. Sam Houston is an average school. The parent group is exclusive and does not want new members. No information sent home about meetings, only the fundraising letter in the spring where parents are told how vital they are to the school! Ha. What a laugh. No school newsletter.

I worked at and had two children at Sam Houston. It is an amazing school with caring teachers and a wonderful principal and asst. principal. The atmosphere at school is warm and you feel as if you are all family. We have been to two other elementary schools and nothing compares to Sam Houston.

This is the best elementary school we have attended. We were in the county and moved into the city. The city schools have so much more to offer. Compared to the work my daughter done in 2nd grade (county school) to my son in 2nd grade now is unbelievable. We are so thankful we moved! Great school!

Last modified Sam Houston Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.