Bad
Good

William Blount is a wonderful school that suffers from underconfidece. The teachers honestly try their hardest, as do most of the students. However, sometimes students get stuck in a rut, believing that they can't do as well as other schools because of the lack of funding. Statistically, however, William Bount is out performing both Maryville and Alcoa city schools in both ACT growth and Advanced Placement test scores. The school also offers various clubs and extracurricular activities, including, but not limited to, Model UN, Scholar's Bowl, Tennis, FBLA, FFA, Soccer, Soft Ball, Key Club Beta Club, GSA, English Honors Society, Student Council, etc. Additionally, William Blount offers an extensive vocational programs for students that are not suited for the college track. This is important because, contrary to popular belief, NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO/IS SUITED TO GO TO COLLEGE. Without vocational training that fits in the modern economy, these students would be behind, not ready for apprenticeships or advanced trainging in their chosen vocational fields. Other local schools ignore this fact. Additionally, William Blount's faculty works thanklessly to give students the best education available despite the lack of resources. (This being said, during the next few years the school will finally be able to phase in a one to one technology program.)

I am a former student and I have to say there's a multitude of problems with this school. They can boast their graduation rates(not that high by the way) all they want but most of the graduates are not college---nor even career---ready yet. Most of them end up taking remedial classes at the local community college and dropping out. Only the Honors or AP students are on the true college track---the "education" everyone else receives is subpar. In fact, most of my peers would complain every time they had to read a single book. Days are spent watching movies and chatting in groups rather than writing essays or solving trig problems. The teachers are underpaid and overworked, burdened with students whom don't care. Why should they? Most of them know they aren't going to university anyways. Certainly, my guidance counselor did not care about my future. I got literally no help with the college application process. He didn't help me with financial aid, looking for scholarships, or anything really. I was originally in a Honors English class and got pulled out due to a rough start. This was in just the first week---I was simply adjusting to HS, but my guidance counselor claimed the class was too "advanced" for me. You see, the essay(s) I wrote were pretty well written(which both he and the teacher acknowledged.) I was only struggling due to a lack of work ethic---not because any of the material was truly that difficult for me to understand. You would think my grades would improve because I was placed in less strenuous, non Honors classes but it made matters worse. It only enabled my underachievement because I was surrounded by fellow underachievers. And why would I need to improve my studying and organizational skills when I didn't require them to succeed? All you had to do was show up in a lot of these classes. So much for academic rigor, eh? I feel sorry for the teachers whom actually cared for their students, like my math teacher in sophomore and junior year. Too bad the vast majority of the students in his class didn't care. He would even hold after-class tutoring sessions and almost nobody showed up. You can tell what WBHS really values: their precious pep rallies and sports teams. They don't care about their students or teachers. More money is spent on sports equipment than basic necessities like textbooks. Want a real education? Go to Maryville.

Improved by leaps and bounds. I'd put them up against any TN school any day.

WBHS is a great schopromethium ol because of it's caring administration and teachers. All work together, with very limited resources, to provide the best educational experience possible for the students. Other nearby schools tout their ACT scores, football championships, promethium boards, etc..., but arrogance is not a lesson children should learn.

This place is underfunded and essentially treated like a prison. When your suspended from every school in the system, they send you here. It's like being in prison even for the kids that do nothing wrong. The education is abysmal and the administration is too focused on enforcing nit-picking rules about cell phones to provide proper education. The staff is utterly unreasonable as well, you can tell that having every problem child in the nearby city systems has made most teachers entirely intolerant of most students. It has no funding, is utterly overcrowded, and most of the assignments are tantamount to busy work. Avoid this school at any and all cost if you'd like your child to have a future. After being a student here, I went to work as a teacher to see the world from the other side of the desk. I was surprised that the things that made me frustrated as a student are still frustrating as a teacher. Despite efforts made by many teachers to truly educate their children, the staff hinders any real learning in every way with the use of their excessive rule list to punish students for the slightest infractions.

The school is severely underfunded. The teachers are tired of it, and therefore do not provide the students the quality education that they deserve. It is not that the teachers are bad, the tools that they are given to work with are not up to par. In one instance, teachers used their own money to purchase net books, but the school would not extend the WiFi network to cover the devices. You do not realize this until your child is knee deep in the school. Do your "homework" now!

Where I live, IS zoned for William Blount. But now my daughter has to go to heritage, which is COMPLETELY wrong. The principal is being unreasonable. I will have to drive 30 minutes there and back to get her to school. It's completely unreasonable, it's NOT okay. I mean, they have houses in my area in the Nearby homes for sale! These administrators is unacceptable! My daughter is having to start all over, from being with people who she's known since kindergarten to people she's never met! There's a girl on the SAME street who's going to William Blount, but my daughter isn't aloud. And my daughter isn't a bad student, she is co captain on her middle school cheerleading team and making all A's in honors alegbra in EIGHTH grade. This has been completely unreasonable.

This scholl is ran by the Good Ol'Boy system, from the principal all the way down to the teachers who can't stand kids. I'm sick of thinking that my son has three more years here because I can't afford to pay tuition for him to go to a school that gives kids a fighting chance. I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down.

The teachers truly make this school wonderful and go above and beyond to not only teach the lesson but to educate the students about life itself. Unfortunately the administration wastes 90% of its time and resources carrying out punishments for frivolous rules that the teachers and students both disagree with. Like the prohibition, the school makes illegal with overly seveir punishments a common thing. In essence they create the rule violations themselves, just like the prohibition cause an increase in crime rate. A suspension for having a cell phone is ridiculous. As is having to move the huge in school suspension group to the gym for students who forgot to get their admits.

I am an alumnus of WB and currently am earning my BS in Sustainability at Furman University. I feel that WBHS prepared me very well for college and that it offered me many unique and engaging opportunities that helped me become a well-rounded and centered person. I feel that even though WBHS may be a public high school, the teachers and staff have a commitment to excellence and success that is every bit as strong as any private institution. I am honored and pleased to be an alumnus and would strongly encourage anyone moving into the district to allow their children to attend WBHS.

Last modified William Blount High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.