No rating

Lowrance School

Public | K-8

Student diversity

Posted September 27, 2011

My son is a fifth grader. We came to Lowrance in the 3rd grade. I was very sceptical about this school. The first year was horrible but his teacher (Mrs. Gatewood) was excellent. With her, we decided to give it another chance. The only good thing about 4th grade was Mr. Bates. You could see the changes he was making his energy, and new ideas kept me for another year. This year I think we got it. Mrs. James + Mr. Bates = a great year for my son. I can see the improvements and his excitement about learning. Two snaps up. Keep fight for our children.

Posted January 31, 2011

Southwind has NOW become Lowrance which has done a 180 degree turn! The new administration (males) along with focusing on placing teachers where "they perform best" has been long overdue. Mr. Bates is a great principal and is really trying hard to change the school's reputation. The only reason I gave it three stars is because it has room to grow which any school facing a complete overhaul must do. The fights are practically non-existent and there is absolutely no tolerance for disrepect--teachers and children alike. Of course some teachers should still choose a different profession, it's really getting there. In order to be a teacher, you must LOVE children and LOVE to teach along with having the PATIENCE TO WORK THROUGH ALL LEARNING ABILITIES. Kudos to "Lowrance"! Keep up the good work!

Posted July 28, 2009

Think the school would be a great school if the teachers and principal was concerned about the well being of the student and not the reputation of the school. Being that last year was my child first year going to a county school, we experienced a lot of unnecessary, unpolite and ( i would say the principal was uneducated about the school system) problems. She was unconcern about fights that was going on, didn't seen concerns about the student, make parent(me) feel like my child was not in the best care. The school itself seen to be what the teachers and principal make it and that is not good. I think they need to go to the school and re-select the teachers and principal.

Posted September 30, 2008

I am a 7th grade student at Southwind and I wish I wasn't. The principal blames the school's bad reputation on us! I won't say that I completely disagree with her, but she needs to accept her responsibility as the principal and work with us students, instead of hiding behind her title every time something goes wrong. She responds to problems by making more rules, and honestly I have to say that it is not doing anything but making us rebel more! I am pretty sure she is trying, but if she wants us to try harder, she's going to have to make the first move. We see more of the assistants than we do of the principa;, and don't say she is busy with other things because if she was truly busy, our school would show, and sadly it hasn't or else I wouldn't be wasting my time doing this.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 6, 2008

I am a concern parent I have two children that attend SWM. During the last two months both of my children has been hurt do to children fighting and horse playing in the class rooms. My children has also stated that the teachers use bad words and there are fights every day. There is also gang problems in the school also. Our children are not safy and something needs to be done. A very worried parent!

Posted February 16, 2008

Southwind Middle School continues to have problems with classes being out of control. My daughter continues to tell me on a daily basis of bad language used by both the teachers and students. Many students are passed just to get them to the next grade.

Posted February 8, 2008

I am a student of Southwind Middle and I hate it. Teachers have no control over their classes and students do whatever they like.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 10, 2007

Southwind Middle is a good school. It needs some work, but that can be done. Parents always complain about the discipline problems because that is all their children tell them about. In reality, only a handful of students cause problems. That happens at every school. Most of it's teachers are great instructors. The honors programs usually have lots of children. There aren't tons of extra curricular activities, and the school pretty much focuses on basketball and dance. The main thing I don't like about SMS is the administration isn't fully preparing their students for high school. They take away the students lockers every year, causing them to carry pounds of of books around everyday. They aren't giving the students any social time. In place, they're only concentrating on academics. Children can't do work all day without having any down time. Southwind isn't as bad as it as it sounds.

Posted November 10, 2005

My daughter has been to several schools in her short life but SWM is by far the worst school she has been to. There are fights just about every day. There has been a # of fights where the student hit a teacher. The leadership at this school is very poor. This school offer very little extracurricular activities. Cordova middle was an excellent school when my daughter went there. Southwind Miidle need to look at Cordova as an example of what middle school is all about. It does not make since for my child to tell me that 7th grade is a lot harder than the 8th grade. This school do not want parent involement. My daughter tells me all the time that she wish she was back at Cordova when there was a fight their it was more like wristling no blood like at SWM

Posted February 19, 2005

Thankfully SMS is a 3 year middle school. We couldn't have made it another year. There is a total lack of discipline there. Food fights in the cafeteria, disrespect for teachers and any authority figure. As for the teachers, I'm sure some of them are very dedicated, but there are several there that need to find their true calling. We won't leave there with many favorable memories.

Posted June 12, 2004

This year was my daughter's first year at Southwind Middle. I feel there is room for growth, even though it's been a great year here there have been no incidents to my knowledge, I feel there should be more aknowledgement of parent when they walk into the office, students should not be reconized first, and you've got a parent standing at the counter. Over all I feel Southwind is a great school; as long as the adults continue to be in charge.

Posted April 26, 2004

I have one son who attends SMS in the 8th grade. I will have one attending next term for 6th grade. I can't say that have been totally disappointed, but I think there is room for improvement. I am thinking about a way right now in which I can help make some improvements. Overall I think that my son is prepared for high school. I don't blame it all on the teachers/administration there at the school. I think that a big part of it is the age group of the children. They are just growing up and changing, maybe we (parents/teachers/principals/administration/community)need to take another look at the approach of teaching and guidance for these young students. sincerely, a parent who wants to help!

Posted January 14, 2004

Southwind Middle could be a great school. The teachers are excellent instructors, but poor disciplinarians. My child states that children yell obscinities and physically abuse each other in the classroom. He says he thinks sometimes his teacher sees it, but does not say anything. The classroom needs to be more disciplined. Since children are with teachers more during the waking hours than they are with their parents, they should be educated on how to maintain control and discipline in the classroom.

Posted October 24, 2003

My children have just started at Southwind Elementary and Middle two weeks ago. So far I think the school is very wonderful. I feel like my children are very safe there . They come home everyday talking about how much fun they had that day. The teachers have taught my children many new things. Mrs.Crouch lays down the law and never lets her guard down. Southwind is a wonderful school and I see no reason to take my children out.

Posted October 1, 2003

I was expecting great things from Southwind middle but was very displeased. With the principals and the teachers, they treat the children as though they are still in elementary and are not equipping them with any tools for high school.

Posted August 26, 2003

Southwind Middle is a excellent. If your child comes to this school expecting a free ride, they will be sadly mistaken. This school has a excellent curriculum and plenty of extra-curricular activities for the children to be involved in. I think this school is wonderful. Caring Mom.

Posted July 31, 2003

I Had a horrible experience with Southwind Middle and Elem. Most of the teachers don't teach the students anything. I sent my daughter to Ridgeway, because it is a much better school. I had awesome results with Rideway. I'm senting all three of my children to Rideway Elementary, Middle,and High School. At Southwind they took their lockers away, so they had to carry their stuff around all day.

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7740 Lowrance Rd