Memphis, TN

Posted March 09, 2014
St. Louis is a wonderful school. I have two children in school here, and both are happy, learning, cared for and loved. From a Faith side, they are grounded by the Catholic faith and are immersed in a God centered atmosphere. From an academic side, they are challenged, pushed, and are given high expectations. From a social side, they are involved, happy, and surrounded by friends. The teachers here truly care how your child is doing both academically and socially. The administrators work tirelessly to keep this school constantly seeking improvements to better it in every way. I highly recommend this school!!

St. Louis Elementary School 1

Posted January 04, 2014
To start the education is average and you are better sending your child to St.Dominic or St. Agnes because they offer a much better education. If you are not involved in things including all social, academic, sport, and religious event it is impossible to find a group of friends. Most of the staff are not qualified and do not do a good job at teaching for example last year they went through three grammar teachers in the junior high which caused the eighth graders (now freshman) to struggle in highschool. The principal and vice principal avoid conflicts that would harm them with popular important parents and social figures so they make examples of all of the students who are not important in their eyes. They have truely harmed kids by doing this and ignore that fact. The education is okay at best and your child is almost garunteed to be bullied and harmed physically and mentally. They do not try to give each student a fair chance at sucess and do a very poor job preparing students for highschool. If you send your child here with no connections or without being an alumni then you will be let down in every way. This school is a pitiful and has harmed more children than it has helped

Posted June 13, 2013
St. Louis Cathlic School in Memphis, TN. My husband and I have two children. One has already moved onto to high school. He is excelling in high school thanks to the fantastic teachers and administratio at St Louis. The ground work they laid has made the transaction to high school seamless. He is still friends with many of his SLS peers but has also made new friends as well. We still have one child in school at SLS. He is also having a great experience. As the mom of these two children, I did not grow up Catholic or was not involved in the catholic community growing up. Neither of us is an alumni of St Louis. We have always felt at home at St Louis. We look forward to each new school as it begins!!

St. Louis Elementary School 3

Posted June 07, 2013
Unfortunately, most of the other posts here are spot on...although the lower grades (K-3) are MUCH less snobby than the upper grades. If you attended St Louis and know alot of people, then you will fit right in. But, don't expect to attend a PTA meeting and find people rushing over to introduce themselves. It doesn't happen here no matter how involved you try to be. Hopefully, some of these 'insider' parents will be moving onto high schools soon and the school will become more welcoming to 'outsiders'---there is no way to know for sure though. Academically, the school is average. I don't feel as if my children are "smarter" than children at other schools. St Louis is the type of school where kids will do fine if they are the type to do fine. It is nothing special academically. There are a couple of teachers who still need to retire because their teaching drive has gone away (for instance, one paints her nails during class and uses handouts to 'teach'). I will say that the Vice Principal is wonderful and welcoming in every single way. She should really be the Principal and I have no idea why this hasn't happened.

Posted May 28, 2013
As with any school, there are positives and negatives. In this case, the positives far outweigh the negatives. St. Louis has many, many active parents that volunteer throughout the school. There are plays and concerts and sports and service organizations. The teachers are there to organize and the parents are there to support. I have three children that graduated from St. Louis and I am very happy with their education. St. Louis is one of the bigger Catholic schools in the area, so there is lots of competition for your little Johnny if he wants to be the star quarterback on the football team. At the same time, there are so many sports offered because it is a larger school. Golf and tennis and cross country and other individual sports to go along with the football and basketball and baseball. Plus the academic clubs, like Junior Beta and Knowledge Bowl and the Math Club. There is something for every child. I highly recommend St. Louis School. Read the negative reviews and remember the positive ones as well. Stop by and talk to the principal and the pastor. See if this school is the right fit for your family. It was for mine.

Posted February 13, 2013
I was a student at St. Louis for nine years and I had an amazing time at this school. It was very easy to get involved and participate. I still have all of my friends that I went here with and they are now more like brothers and sisters to me. I think this is why "outsiders" think the parents are so snobby. This school creates amazing bonds between the people that you grew up with and you fall in love with the school and send your children there. Many of the parents went to school together and are already friends from St. Louis or SAA or CBHS. They are not snobby, they just know the "insider" parents very well. To all you parents complaining about this problem, why would you pull your child out of an amazing school because you are having problems becoming friends with other moms? Sounds selfish to me. Try to get more involved because your child will always look back at this time as an amazing experience that helped shaped them to become the person that they will be become.

Posted December 07, 2012
St. Louis is a very good school, with a strong curriculum, strong teachers who work hard to give your child a wonderful academic experience. I have been a parent there for nine years, and I still marvel at this gift of a school we have in East Memphis. Is it perfect? Of course not, no school is. But our principal greatly desires to make it the best school it can possibly be. I am not from Memphis, and I did not go to St. Louis myself, and yet, I have never stuggled to make friends, to find opportunites to be involved, to feel that I am part of a community. Our principal and vice principal have an open-door policy. I know, I've used it. They listen, they care. They tell parents to call them at school if their child is having a bad day, and they will make a point to check in on that child during the day. That's the kind of people we have running our school and caring for our children. I also love that the Catholic faith is first and foremost at school. We are proud to be Catholic and it is taught every day, in every way. If you are interested in finding a great school for your child, go visit St. Louis Catholic School.

St. Louis Elementary School 2

Posted July 28, 2012
I was a student at this school for nine years and did not enjoy it. I liked it up until the point when the new principal came. She changed everything and I feel like St. Louis lost it's originality and tradition. All the past and unforgettable teachers were either fired or retired and it made the school not feel so much like home. The kids are annoying and mean to new-comers. Also, new parents are not very welcomed unless they have deep roots within the school. Don't send your kid here. Go to Holy Rosary.

St. Louis Elementary School 3

Posted June 12, 2012
I agree with the other reviews. If you or your spouse is an alumni of St. Louis then you are good to go. The parents are extremely close minded when it comes to outsiders. And if you are not planning on sending your child to SAA/CBHS, well then you are an outsider. There is a good old boys network when it comes to sports. The emphasis placed on athletics is huge when it comes to the boys and it can be about who you know rather than how good your child is in the sport. The class sizes are also very large. Upwards of 27/28 per class. That being said, I love the new principal. I think she is trying to change things, but I am unsure she knows how political the school can be. When a good percentage of parents work at the school or are extremely involved, there is a bias that occurs.

St. Louis Elementary School 2

Posted May 06, 2012
If you live near the school. Just go to White Station. The children are meaner than average there and the parents are horrid! I pulled my child out this year.

St. Louis Elementary School
5192 Shady Grove Road, Memphis, TN  38117
Last modified St. Louis Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Louis Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top