PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

St. Louis is a wonderful school! We have been here for 6 years now and are absolutely in love with the faculty, staff, and other families. It is a real community of friends. I didn't attend SLS as a child and have been welcomed with open arms. I DID get involved with the parent club right away, which helped me to meet other moms. Having attended public schools myself, I LOVE that my kids are able to explore their faith while they get a fantastic education.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are here because they want to be. They are very effective and test scores prove it!!

Amount of homework: Agree

My oldest is entering 4th grade. So far the homework load has been fine. My daughter is able to practice the skills she learns at school and have time to play and relax.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Students are encouraged to make good choices starting in preschool. They are taught to share, to do their own work, and to treat each other with respect. Consequences for misbehavior are age appropriate and fair so that students can learn from their mistakes and develop good character before they move on to high school.

Unfortuantely most of the other commetns are correct regarding the sense of elitism and social status at this school. Parents are mean and little johnny thins he can do whatever he wqants. Changes were made 5 years ago regarding teachers and the adminstration. I have held my breath for the last 5 years waiting to see if the changes were effective. Sure we spent millions of dollars renovating the church, adding a junion high wing, and new youth center. Unfortuantely the changes were a complete failure to our children's education. Test scores have actually decreased since changes were made. Let me repeat - the changes have harmed our children. Likewise, we cannot get permanent qualifed teachers in the upper grades. If you are considering this school simply ask how many teachers are licensed to teach in a TN school. The reason the previous teachers were fired was because they were too strict (pretty ironic reason since this is a Catholic school). We replaced them with unqualified personnel. I feel my oldest is not prepared for high school and am pulling my other two children this year to attend other schools. There are numeorus o tehr private and public schools in the area that are superior to SLS.

St. Louis is a wonderful school. I have two children in school here, and both are happy, learning, cared for and loved. From a Faith side, they are grounded by the Catholic faith and are immersed in a God centered atmosphere. From an academic side, they are challenged, pushed, and are given high expectations. From a social side, they are involved, happy, and surrounded by friends. The teachers here truly care how your child is doing both academically and socially. The administrators work tirelessly to keep this school constantly seeking improvements to better it in every way. I highly recommend this school!!

Very nurturing environment that is very conducive to learning. The new leadership has been paramount to St. Louis school's overall success.

To start the education is average and you are better sending your child to St.Dominic or St. Agnes because they offer a much better education. If you are not involved in things including all social, academic, sport, and religious event it is impossible to find a group of friends. Most of the staff are not qualified and do not do a good job at teaching for example last year they went through three grammar teachers in the junior high which caused the eighth graders (now freshman) to struggle in highschool. The principal and vice principal avoid conflicts that would harm them with popular important parents and social figures so they make examples of all of the students who are not important in their eyes. They have truely harmed kids by doing this and ignore that fact. The education is okay at best and your child is almost garunteed to be bullied and harmed physically and mentally. They do not try to give each student a fair chance at sucess and do a very poor job preparing students for highschool. If you send your child here with no connections or without being an alumni then you will be let down in every way. This school is a pitiful and has harmed more children than it has helped

St. Louis Cathlic School in Memphis, TN. My husband and I have two children. One has already moved onto to high school. He is excelling in high school thanks to the fantastic teachers and administratio at St Louis. The ground work they laid has made the transaction to high school seamless. He is still friends with many of his SLS peers but has also made new friends as well. We still have one child in school at SLS. He is also having a great experience. As the mom of these two children, I did not grow up Catholic or was not involved in the catholic community growing up. Neither of us is an alumni of St Louis. We have always felt at home at St Louis. We look forward to each new school as it begins!!

Unfortunately, most of the other posts here are spot on...although the lower grades (K-3) are MUCH less snobby than the upper grades. If you attended St Louis and know alot of people, then you will fit right in. But, don't expect to attend a PTA meeting and find people rushing over to introduce themselves. It doesn't happen here no matter how involved you try to be. Hopefully, some of these 'insider' parents will be moving onto high schools soon and the school will become more welcoming to 'outsiders'---there is no way to know for sure though. Academically, the school is average. I don't feel as if my children are "smarter" than children at other schools. St Louis is the type of school where kids will do fine if they are the type to do fine. It is nothing special academically. There are a couple of teachers who still need to retire because their teaching drive has gone away (for instance, one paints her nails during class and uses handouts to 'teach'). I will say that the Vice Principal is wonderful and welcoming in every single way. She should really be the Principal and I have no idea why this hasn't happened.

Last modified St. Louis Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8