No rating

Immanuel Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 224 students

Living in Memphis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $77,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $720.

Posted February 19, 2014

I went to ILS in the early 1970's,which was when the public schools were in such turmoil due to bussing. ILS was a life saver, the environment was superb and the curriculum was wonderful. Whenever we drive through Memphis, my head always turns to look at the school when we pass it on I-40- I loved it there. Jeff Call

Posted November 27, 2013

We are a military family and ILS has been the perfect fit for us! Very welcoming and our children assimilated very quickly and made many friends. The school is increasingly diverse and does a fantastic job of bringing the many facets of its student body together as a family. Outstanding value too. We could not be more pleased with our choice.

Posted July 25, 2013

Can not recommend this school highly enough. From the first day, teachers, kids and administrators were highly welcoming to our Navy family. The atmosphere is warm, creative, stimulating and fun and our children come home teaching us the most awesome things they are learning at school about the world and our God! They ask lots of questions and are clearly encouraged toward being active participants in their learning process.

Posted March 26, 2013

This school is okay. As much as it does great things academically, but it is very exclusive. If you aren't just like them, you are excluded and picked on. Both my sister and I encountered kind teachers and kind kids, but we also suffered from horrendous teasing and bouts of depression. However, when we switched schools, we were immediately accepted in a way we never were at ILS. So it wasn't just us. If you are looking purely at academics, then ILS is a wonderful place and prepares your children for even the most rigorous honors and AP high school courses. If you want your child to be excited to go to school every morning, you had better hope your child is just like all the other kids.

Posted February 13, 2013

I am so happy with the challenging education my child receives at Immanuel. My older two girls have had great high school experiences because they were well prepared at ILS. My son is in 7th grade and he has loved literature this year. He tells me about the novels or plays they are reading and also about the blog his class writes. The teachers are extremely dedicated and responsive. Spanish, P.E., art, and music are all a part of the school curriculum. The musicals and athletic programs give kids a place to shine. Each class has a ministry they partner with to live out their Christian faith. The family at Immanuel cares for my child and for me.

Posted February 13, 2013

We love this school. The teachers are wonderful and caring. The facilities have recently been remodeled and it looks great. The academics are top notch. Music, Art, and Sports are all there along with lots of extracurricular activities. My daughter loves to go and has had perfect attendance so far this year in the 6th grade.

Posted November 5, 2012

ILS is a great school with a dedicated staff. The teachers and office staff really DO care for the children and have their best interests at heart! Of all of the christian private schools that we visited and considered, ILS was the one that we felt the most welcome at.

Posted October 26, 2011

ILS IS A WONDERFUL SCHOOL!!! It is deeply faith centered and offers a very challenging education at a reasonable price, which are the basic requirements for us. Our 3 kids have been there since kindergarten and it has been close to perfect. The small school environment and low student to teacher ratio creates a personalized atmosphere that you simply will not get from the larger more expensive elementary schools. Be sure not to judge it by the cover, either...it is a very safe environment and they are constantly working to improve the facilities each and every year. This is a rare occasion where you actually get "more" than you pay for. What a blessing ILS has been and paired with Immanuel Church, you simply cannot do any better at any cost if you prefer a truly Christian education for your child!!! **Visit their websites at: ilsmemphis.org and ilcmemphis.org

Posted January 19, 2011

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this school. My child came from a montessori school and other schools that I interviewed showed concern about how he would fit in coming from such a free environment. Not Immanuel, they understand and appreciate the montessori philosophy and welcomed my child with open arms. He's adjusted very well, goes to school with a smile every day and loves this school. The peace of mind that we get from having our child at this school is PRICELESS. He's challenged academically and loved. Need I say more?! In my opinion, the fancy bigger schools with multi-million dollar buildings don't hold a candle to what Immanuel offers. We are VERY happy with our decision to send our child here.

Posted January 14, 2011

I continue to find more to love about Immanuel. I am a preschool teacher and we have such wonderful students and families. My own children have dedicated teachers that challenge and support them.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 27, 2010

I am not sure what the poster giving ILS one star is saying. We came from a school that only did math a few days a week. This school has Saxon math which is EVERYDAY. Wonderful, diverse Christian environment with a great education and loving friendly staff. This school made us realize what was severely lacking in the private school we were in before.

Posted August 27, 2010

Our daughter went to ILS some time ago. However, she has ties with the school that will never be broken. Her education there prepared her well for higher learning and life. The Christian environment supported her Christian home life and prepared her for the future. I am very thankful that ILS was there for her.

Posted June 19, 2010

Academically this school is severely lacking......in middle school math was not even taught daily and my child was very behind his peers when we changed schools. Beware the small ratio and family atmosphere might be nice and appealing but I am not sure it is worth the risk of your child being behind academically.

Posted October 22, 2009

My son Joshua has attended this school all the way through to 5th grade this year. He is very intelligent and although we have had some family changes in the last year which could have adversely affected his grades, his teachers continue to support him. He made honor roll the first quarter of this year and I know he is learning so much because he enjoys the classroom environment and his teachers. It is a positive Christian environment.

Posted June 19, 2009

I am the mother of a child classified as profoundly gifted. I knew ILS was the right school when the principal said 'God gave her a lot of gifts. It's up to us to help her learn to use them.'. ILS was the only school I talked to that was willing to work with me to meet the needs of my daughter, to think outside the box, and most of all, to love her. I dearly hope that ILS succeeds in adding high school grades before she needs them!

Posted January 14, 2009

We have four girls at ILS. My eldest children have gone to this school since PK. It is our 8th year here. I cannot think of a better place to have my children. The family atmosphere is beneficial to all involved. The teachers know the children well, and the families get to know each other also. There is a wealth of support in good times and challenging times. I have no doubt that my girls will be prepared academically, socially and spiritually for anything life has in store for them.

Posted January 14, 2009

The hidden gem, that's what we call this place. Want your kids to grow in a Christian environment, surrounded by teachers, administrators and other families with the same Christian values. This place isn't about talking the talk, but walking the walk. It's great when your kids are so grounded in their faith, they're dragging you to church on Sundays. The classes are small, the curriculum challenging, and you can be as involved as you want in your childs education. Oh yea, great athletic programs too!!

Posted January 9, 2009

My only negative comment is that the school only goes through 8th grade. Very challenging curriculum far exceeding what we experienced in the County Schools. Christ centered and caring teachers that keep the focus on helping your child to succeed. Well rounded extracurricular activities--and the kids actually ENJOY learning and interacting with each other. They are not only are making my child a better student, but a better person.

Posted September 17, 2008

I am a student that at this time is in 8th grade and have been here since PK4. This is an awesome school with fun extracurricular activities like soccer, basketball, volleyball, track, and we even have plays! There are also youth groups where kids 6th-8th grade get to go have fun with there friends. We have M2M (march2morning) every year were your kid gets to stay up all night and go skating and gocart at putt-putt. The teachers are hard working and really helpful to the students that dont get what we are doing. Also the sixth grade teacher is 'funny' but mainly all her jokes are corny. LOL! But this school is definately a school you would want to send your child to if you want to surround him/her with a God loving friendly enviroment were he/she could make friends in the first hour they get there. A++
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 17, 2007

I am a soon-to-be 8th grader at ILS, and I think that the school is phenomenal! The homework is rigorous, but not so much that you can't do after school activities. I'm very athletic, and their athletic program certainly didn't disappoint me. The teachers are hard-working individuals that care about not just the whether you're making A's or B's but your overall well-being. I believe that the only possible problem there could be is that your own child doesn't want to learn. And I couldn't ask for more parental involvement. The fine arts program is ok. We do musicals, Christmas programs, and 5th and 6th graders have a choir. Also 1st-4th graders have a cute little choir. The teachers definitely don't take any crap from kids. The principal is one of the best I've ever had. My mom is in love with this school. This school definitely gets an A++!
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6319 Raleigh Lagrange Road