Memphis, TN
Before care: Yes

Posted September 20, 2014
Grace-St. Lukes Episcopal School is a fantastic place of learning. Their curriculum is academically challenging and caters to all learning styles. They also have a great variety of teachers who are willing to help at any time. I attended GSL for 11 years and loved it; I sometimes wish I could go back. The teachers that I had were amazing and were always open to work with me if they saw that I was struggling. Overall, GSL provided me with great role models to look up to and prepared me academically for high school. Being an Episcopal school, GSL provides students with a religious education; not only do they teach students about Christianity, but other religions too. Although GSL is diverse in their religious curriculum, unfortunately they are not as diverse in culture. Because the school is so close-knit and small there is less cultural variation. However, the school is growing and improving every day and is a great place to send your child.

Posted April 11, 2014
GSL is an amazing school that manages to balance solid academics with a warm, friendly community atmosphere.

Posted September 12, 2013
Our son has been attending GSL starting in PK and is now in the 2nd grade. We cannot say enough good things about this school - it is fantastic! The teachers and staff are wonderful and truly care about the children. Would not consider going anywhere else.

Posted July 09, 2013
I am speaking from the perspective of someone who not only attended this school from mother's day out to 8th grade, but flourished both during and after my time at Grace-St. Luke's. While there I participated in Theatre, Athletics, Student Government (President), as well as many clubs. I believe that there is not a better place to send your child because you are guaranteed both a great education and a staff who genuinely loves and cares about you and your children. Area high schools actively recruited GSL students (including me) because of their academic strength and leadership experience. Upon arriving in high school after GSL, I quickly realized that the other GSL graduates and myself were the most prepared and well-rounded students in attendance. I love Grace-St. Luke's, its teachers, its students, and its atmosphere that set the foundation for my current successes. I am now attending one of the best public universities in the US on a significant scholarship and I can guarantee that I would not be where I am today if it was not for the values and knowledge instilled in me at GSL. I can truly say that I AM an anchor for life.

Posted June 18, 2013
I am a Grace St. Lukes alum, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed every minute of time at GSL. It is no secret that middle school years are a bit awkward for most kids, but GSL did a great job of making everyone feel comfortable and welcome. It was hard to leave, but I knew that everything that I learned here would transfer to high school and beyond. I am so happy and grateful that I got to spend my lower and middle school days at such an amazing place!

Posted May 16, 2013
Gace-St. Luke's Episcopal School is an "anchor for life", which is the school motto. Our children have obtained a solid foundation in the key areas of learning, great moral and ethical values, and have made lifelong friendships. The teachers and administration are wonderful, and the family atmosphere and participation creates an extremely positive environment for learning.

Posted April 23, 2013
I've had two children at GSL for years, and we all absolutely love it. The teachers are remarkable -- top-notch, creative, caring, inspiring. With the opening of the Anchor Center building a few years ago, the school's facilities made a quantum leap ahead. Fantastic science labs, art rooms, gym, cafeteria, library and more. The best things about GSL are the nurturing environment and the challenging curriculum. The kids are encouraged to think, often "outside the box," and much attention is focused on individual paths to success. They embrace the idea that kids learn differently; each child is unique. GSL has always felt like an extended family... a home away from home for my kids.

Posted April 05, 2013
GSL has been a wonderful experience for my whole family. As a GSL graduate, I was very well prepared for a competitive single-sex high school and wanted the same nurturing and academically challenging environment for our children. Our favorite things about GSL are the parental involvement and community, the excellent teaching and creative instruction, emphasis on developing the children's character as well as academic preparation for high school, and its welcoming and inclusive but unapologetically Episcopal tradition. Previous reviews mentioned lack of diversity, but it is no less diverse than most private schools in Memphis. We chose GSL for our kids partly because 70% of GSL households are dual-income families, which is about as close to "real world" as you can get in a private school setting. I have heard from several teachers at other area high schools (public and private) that they love getting GSL students--a very high compliment, I think!

Grace-St Lukes Episcopal School 1

Posted March 24, 2013
My son attended Ms. Lee's for Junior Kindergarten at GSL and we were really disappointed. He is attending Snowden Elementary for Kindergarten and the experience has been far superior. GSL school as a community has a hard time looking honestly at itself and seeing its own shortcomings. It is geared towards married, caucasion parents rather than towards working and middle class parents. H They are neither ethnically nor culturally div. They did a great job of emailing us photos of all of the fun things our child was doing in school but never gave us any information on what we needed to do to get him ready for kindergarten. Then, in the spring, they informed us that he did not know the things he needed to know for kindergarten and gave us the impression that they thought he might always struggle. They indicated that they had just learned this when he was tested two weeks prior, even though there were two teachers w/masters for 13 kids. Since we left, our child tested as having a genious IQ, got accepted in the optional program and his teacher recommended him for CLUE. He is also a competitive chess player at only 6. Oh, & the so-called masters his teacher had? Uni of Phoenix.

Posted March 12, 2012
My children have attended GSL for five years. It is an excellent school: committed teachers and administration; strong family community; and a nurturing environment. We are leaving the Memphis area soon, and we are struggling to replicate all that GSL offers in our new community. It offers academic challenges for those who need it, and it supports those who need help. If you can afford the tuition, I would highly recommend considering this school. It especially appeals to Central Gardens residents - many children walk or bike to this school with no concerns for safety.

Grace-St Lukes Episcopal School
246 South Belvedere Boulevard, Memphis, TN  38104
Last modified Grace-St Lukes Episcopal School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Grace-St Lukes Episcopal School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top