No rating

Immaculate Conception Elementary School

Private | PK-8

Student diversity

Living in Memphis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $128,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $610.

Posted May 10, 2014

ICCS is just okay. There are public schools in the area, like Snowden or Central, that are probably just as good, if not better. Most of the teachers are decent, but there are some that are very difficult to deal with, and I think wanted to work here because they thought a private school wouldn't require them to work as hard. They are not accommodating to students with special needs and don't seem to know what to do with them. If you have a very bright child, find another school; this one is so-so with academics. There are students who are bullies, and they are reluctant to deal with them because they are so small and need every tuition dollar. Don't think we will be continuing here for high school.

Posted May 27, 2013

ICCS is a wonderful school!! My child just finished his first year here and we have been very impressed. Great community, warm and welcoming. I have been impressed with the curriculum and especially love the fact that my child is learning Spanish in a daily immersion program.

Posted September 12, 2012

After reading the other reports, I must say I have had the same problems there with certain teachers. But it looks like things are turning around. The principal has apparently cleaned house over the summer. All of the problematic teachers are gone this year! There are many new faces in the faculty. This is a MAJOR change for the better! Our kids are there this year and off to a good start. The principal is doing a great job of getting the school back on track and many parents seem to be much happier this year. Good job IC.

Posted May 4, 2011

My daughter graduated 2010 from IC. After her first semester in college she told me that IC over-prepared her for college! The teachers are wonderful and take a real interest in the students. I am very happy that my daughter attended IC. The school has an excellent reputation even beyond Memphis: I spoke yesterday with an official of the German government and was impressed when I told him that my daughter attended IC. Do yourself and your daughter a favor and sign up! Yes, the tuition is tough - but the school is absolutely worth it!

Posted February 17, 2011

This is an excellent school. It gets better every year. About two years ago, I kind of wondered about the directional future for our child, but since, I'm highly satisfied. Very diverse student body, superb sporting opportunities, high educational standards, low behavior problems, parental involvement , friendly and professional staff, and a school full of willing children in a learning environment!

Posted November 17, 2010

We love IC! We have been parishioners for 16 years and our 8 year old son is in the 3rd grade at IC. He loves it too! When your child loves to go to school and excels academically, what else could you ask for.

Posted November 17, 2010

Excellent curriculum. The reading and math program are particularly strong. My kindergartner is quickly learning how to read and is learning some high concepts in math. And she has Spanish immersion classes 5 days a week; she is beginning to speak some Spanish at home. I am extremely happy with her progress this year. Small class sizes and a small school ensure everyone knows her by name, and I really like that. All the support teachers are amazing too. Love IC!

Posted November 16, 2010

We are very pleased with our choice of elementary school for our son. The new principal is very experienced and runs a "tight ship." The classes are small, and all of our son's teachers keep us very much in touch with how he's doing. We looked at some of the "glitzy" schools before deciding on IC and decided to choose what we feel is a school of more substance.

Posted November 16, 2010

There are many good private schools to choose from in Memphis. While we looked at a number of them for our daughter who just entered preschool this year IC stood out above the others. Our choice is affirmed daily as we see her progress and growth. The campus is beautiful, the teachers clearly love what they do, my daughter is learning in 2 languages at a great pace, and is sad to leave each day when I pick her up. What more could I ask for?

Posted March 16, 2010

We are very disappointed that IC does has not lived up the reputation it has as a great school. Thank goodness that unorganized, strange, but politically connected principal is resigning at the end of the year. It is just a little too late for us. We have tried addressing problems with our child's teachers but they just stare at us blankly and offer no new ideas. They lost their best teacher (K. Healy) to another school in the middle of the school year?? A friend of ours with a doctorate in education looked over the nonsense in our son's assignment agenda and laughed. His current teacher does not do a very good job of explaining assignments in notices home and she has some odd quirks when it comes to writing anything in general. Sadly, we are transferring our child to another school in the fall.

Posted November 2, 2009

Administration is very disorganized. Terrible facilities. Teachers are horrible.

Posted February 2, 2008

This is a great school, great education,small classroom ratio, lots of parent involvement.

Posted July 10, 2007

Fabulous, caring teachers. Wonderful family atmosphere in a safe learning environment. My kids have gotten individual attention and have excelled. These are real kids in every color of the rainbow -- just like the people they'll be working alongside when they graduate from college.

Posted February 5, 2007

IC is just a terrific school. The teachers are caring and kind, and their dedication to the children shows in everything they do. They teach respect and humility, and that is so important to me as a parent. IC fosters a close-knit family atmosphere. I am just so very thankful for this school in the heart of Memphis! Christa Smith

Posted September 8, 2005

I think this is a great school that is welcoming to all families. It offers a good educational enviornment but also offers the diversity that is necessary to our society. It has the ability to prepare children for the future and broaden their overall outlook on life.

Posted March 22, 2005

IC is a wonderful, small school. Parents and teachers work together to insure that the children get the best education available. In addition, the environment is very comfortable both for the kids and the parents. It feels very much like you're part of a happy family. Due to the small class sizes, teachers are able to really know their students, and focus on what works best for each of them. The make-up of the student body includes many racial and economic groups, and all beautifully blend together as one as Jesus taught us we should. My children enjoy going to school every day, and I find much comfort in knowing that they are safe, happy and loved by those entrusted to teach them.

Posted January 12, 2005

The principal, Gail Fox, has just given her resignation and that is the best move for the school. Ms. Fox was not the personality that was needed in a small school.

Posted February 23, 2004

I.C.is a great school with small teacher to student ratios which affords the wonderful teachers to teach to their maxium ability(often above and beyond). Very homey like atmosphere. You are a name, not a number. I just think it's the best!

Posted August 27, 2003

This is a school that provides each child with a sound academic foundation within the framwork of a community of faith, compassion and an appreciation for the diversity of it's student population.ICES prepares it,s students for leadership in a global society.

Posted August 22, 2003

This was one of the best schools. I was pleased with everything about it. The teachers were caring and the learning evironment is the best. I highly recommend it to any parent considering private education.

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious