No rating

Elliston Baptist Academy

Private | PK-12 | 30 students

Living in Memphis

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $71,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

Posted July 27, 2009

My child loves this school and I love that the teachers are friendly and they are they there for the kids, to help them learn.

Posted July 21, 2009

I was alittle discouraged when I drove up and saw this school, but as I decided to not judge a book by it's cover and go ahead to enroll my son, he was done a huge turn around from last year, where he attended another school. They a small number in the classroom, which work perfect for him, because he got all the attention he needed. My son is growing and learning everday. I think if more parents thought I like I did, and give the school a try. This school could get back on the map

Posted July 21, 2009

My daughter has attended Elliston for a couple of years, and I never once worried about her safety. I felt like she was with family. She learned a lot from her teachers because they provide a lot of TLC. There is a lot of one on one with the children, and the teachers always tried to see how each child learned best and cater to their specific learning needs. Not every child is the same, they learn differently. So I respect they take the extra initiative to teach each child the best they can.

Posted July 7, 2009

I have been an employee of Elliston for a number of years and I would like to say I am very proud of this school and the staff. We have a very good group of dedicated people who care about your children and go the extra mile. I also had a child that attended Elliston who is now in medical school. I credit the school for leading her in this direction. I would recommend the school to everyone, if you want a caring, safe, learning enviorment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 10, 2009

I have worked at Elliston for almost 35 years. We have always strived to do the best for the students here. As most schools, there have been some teachers that were better than others. We are trying to build the school back up. We have excellent teachers for 2008-09. Our facilities may not be the Ritz, because we don't charge $10,000.00 per student. We provide a Christian education in a safe environment, that alot of parents could not afford otherwise. Those who usually complain, are those that don't put anything into their school, so therefore they don't get much out of it! We provided some students with a good education, whose parents left owing money when they were capable of doing so. Regardless, God has blessed us with keeping our doors open for 37 years now. We must be doing something right!

Posted March 26, 2008

Ellliston is turning back in the right direction. They are moving away from the pace curriculum and the new administration has a great vision for the school. Previous posts do not represent the school as it is today. This school is going to do great things for our choldren.

Posted August 22, 2007

I actually was a student at this school from grades 5-11. I hated this school so much, and like another person said high school does do the pace program and its horrible! You don't learn anything more than what's in that little book. When I was in school I loved it, now that Im out I feel I don't know anything I should I wish I went to public schools and had real books and teachers that knew how to teach.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 26, 2006

My daughter has attended this school since she was in kindergarten. I am proud of this school. There has been a turnover in teachers this past year but i believe that has all been corrected. This school turns in high numbers when the annual tests are done to rate the various schools. I feel elliston will get turned around.

Posted May 5, 2006

This is the most poorly run school that I have ever seen! And I have to pay for my children to go here! There are different rules that apply to certain students. They are lucky if they have a teacher in the classroon half the time! The good teachers are gone they ran them off so im wondering what next year will be like for my kids.the private school board needs to know about what is going on and needs to clean up Ellistons mess! hmm not a bad idea.more paernts need to stop being afarid and speak up so positive change can be made these are our children!We are paying for this lets get the lead out!

Posted September 3, 2005

As a parent of a former student I can tell you this school is pathetic. Tuition rates are low making it more affordable than most private schools in our area but little better than a public school. The facilities are woefully neglected and although there are a handful of caring, qualified teachers, most are incompetent. My wife also worked as a substitute teacher there and can tell you first hand that most of the high school students can barely read. They are pretty much allowed to do whatever they want without repercussion . Elementary grades are better but I would recommend removing your student after grade 5. This was once a fine school and with proper admin. it could be again. I recommend only as a last resort alternative to public school.

Posted August 6, 2004

I have 2 children at this school (this is their 3rd year) so far I am very pleased with the education they are receiving at this school! The teachers there are very caring & if the children are having problems they do not hesitate to call you or send a note home. I feel very safe having my children in their care. I did hear rumors that some teachers are not certified but in looking at my kids curriculum & how well they are learning so far I don't see them suffering. I plan to enroll my 3yr. old this year.

Posted September 4, 2003

We have been at Elliston for several years. This school is the best our neighborhood has to offer. My daughter is now a senior and loves it there. Tutuion is about the same as most other private schools but if it is not paid on time, they will send your kids home. The teachers, at least most of them, are great. High Schoolers work on the 'Pace' program and are allowed to work 'at their own pace.' The teachers are there when a child needs help. No school is perfect but Elliston is a good place to help your kids learn, socialize and just grow up. (PS--they are Baptist so no proms or dances--my child attends another schools prom every year)

Posted August 8, 2003

i think this school is a joke. i can not believe a school that is suppose to be a christian school lets the things that go on as they do here. it is awful!! i would recommend city schools before i would put my child back in this so called school. i have been with elliston the last two years and it gets worse every year.more than have of the staff are not even certified teachers, and that is not fair to the children. i know this cause i was asked to teach a grade last year because of low staff.they are not organized nor have any activities for the children to get involved in , not elementary anyway. think long and hard before you make a decision to place your child in this school. if you care about your childs education you will not place your children here.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • SBACS
Fax number
  • (901) 743-4257

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious