Harding Academy of Memphis

Private | PK-12 | 1250 students

We are best known for spiritual tone & diversity.

Living in Memphis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $117,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Sweep tile

Posted April 8, 2014

Harding Academy was known to be one of the best schools in Memphis,tn. That changed; in the last years the education is down some of the teachers have no clue how to teach. It looks more la Public School. Please do not be impressed by the good ratings. Look at the new ones.

Posted January 6, 2014

This is my first year here and I hate it. All the students are fake,stuck up, and annoying. This school does whatever it can to get a hold of your money constantly. I went to public schools up to my tenth grade year and my parents made me goto this school. The MCS public high school I use to goto I had more real friends and felt like I learned more there! I would never ever recommend anyone to send their child to harding, and don't let the lies of it being such a great school blind you from the truth of what the school really is. This school has changed me to be depressed and angry about my life.

Posted September 1, 2013

Harding Academy is a great school. It is Christian based, which is great!! The children there are sweet, caring, and very positive. The teachers and other staff members really care about the children there. I think this would be a great school for anybody to go to.

Posted August 1, 2013

This school is bad and the academic/counseling is weak but athletics are okay but not the greatest

Posted November 21, 2011

Harding Academy is a family affair for us! I went there, my brother went there, my husband went there, and my brother-in-law went there too. Now I am so blessed to have my children go there! Harding is such a special place and has such a sense of family. I am proud to call myself a graduate and for my children to one day call themselves graduates!

Posted November 1, 2011

I am an alumni and parent who is experiencing great things for my children at Harding Academy. From the classroom to the theater stage to the ball field, Harding competes with integrity and awareness of a higher purpose than grades, awards and State Championships. There are many good public and private schools in our city; however, I challenge anyone to find a more well-grounded environment for learning and spiritual influence. There is a great momentum building at this amazing East Memphis campus as her impending new leadership promises a bright and forward-thingking future for the students of Harding. Your child will be loved, prayed for, and surrounded by great peers; I had a wonderful experience as a student and do not blink twice at the tuition cost, as I know my kids are receiving more than just an education: they are receiving a blessing of being part of an experience that will shape them as individuals, regardless of their career path. Harding offers a location, a legacy, and a love for Christ that is imbedded in its cirriculum and programs. Sending your child(ren) to Harding will be the best sacrifice you can make for them!

Posted January 9, 2011

As a graduate of the Academy, I feel that Harding not only prepared me for college, but also for life. My teachers were experts in their subject, passionate, compassionate, and kind. I felt loved by them, and knew they had my best interest at heart. Every high school has its drama among the students, but at Harding I always felt that the teachers were striving to instill in us a sense of loving each other and of loving our community.

Posted January 5, 2011

I am a teacher at Harding Academy and I can't imagine teaching anywhere else! I have found it to be a school that has high expectations for students in both academics and spiritual formation. I'm honored to be at a school where students are cared for deeply and are mentored continually. I'm proud that our students come back to us saying how prepared they are for their college courses and how they are serving in their campuses as spiritual leaders and servants of Christ. Students really do view their school as a family and I feel the same way!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 19, 2010

NOT CHRIST BASED - after 3yrs we did not renew our contract bacause of a potential move - they pressured every day after and manipulated my insecurities of not moving to sign "just in case". After weeks of pressure I signed and guess what - we moved! They asked us to then perform some questionable insurance tactics so they could collect a 1/2 yrs tuition and the other 1/2 from us. Our son never attended one day! We declined & they sued us within 3 months & filed a judgment even with a payment plan agreed upon by our attorneys. My lesson is that Harding Academy is a business and I should have listened to my husband and not let the school leaders prey on my vulnerability as a loving mother. These people who you think love your children are really run by money not love and NOT CHRIST!

Posted January 29, 2010

Harding is a fantastic school. The faculty truly cares about the students. The academics are college prep level and the school does a great job providing safe social activities. I have no regrets in sending my two children to Harding. I also met my beautiful wife while I attended Harding over twenty years ago. Harding was great then and even better now.

Posted November 22, 2009

I attended Harding Academy for ALL of my schooling before college. It was an excellent place to grow and learn. I had teachers that would not let me skate by on talent, but pushed me to try my best. The English and Math teachers were fantastic. The music programs were always top competitors for West Tennessee. The mid-level administrators were excellent as well. I gave it 4 stars because as I later worked in selective college admissions, I noticed that most Harding Academy students were not pushed to apply and enroll at very selective universities. All students are well prepared to enter 4-year colleges. That being said, Harding Academy is an excellent choice for elementary, middle, or high school. If I lived in Memphis, my kids would definitely be attending my alma mater.

Posted June 6, 2009

We have 2 children attending Harding Academy. I am a teacher, but I don't teach at Harding. I researched curriculum in the County Schools and all the private schools and found that Harding has the most consistent curriculum. They use Saxon Phonics and Math and Shirley English. The lesson that start in PreK(2,3,4) all build on what they will be doing the next year throughout 12th grade. This is not what public schools have. In five years we have not had a single incident where our children were not in a safe, loving, christian environment that had excellent discipline where children can learn and ask questions. Whatever they are doing works! They teach study and organizational skills that build year to year so they are prepared for hard work and expecting more from themselves. I would home school before putting my kids in public schools. Committed to Harding: A teacher/parent

Posted November 17, 2008

Cherry Rd-Harding Academy is the best for preschoolers!! Lisa White the principle sets the bar very high for her staff, the kids and the level of customer service. We recently moved to NC and wish we had some place like that here to send our little guys now! The kids learn through fun, play, love and praise! So nice!!!

Posted April 2, 2008

I have two children who are presently attending excellent universities after graduating from Harding Academy. Both have received academic scholarships. I thank Harding and its excellent teachers for helping my children in their accomplishments. They have also formed friendships which are continuing even though some of their friends are attending other colleges. Harding offers excellent opportunities for students.

Posted March 6, 2008

This school is known to be behind academically in comparison with other private schools in the area. It is comparable to the county school system as far as the curriculum goes.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 17, 2008

Harding Academy is a solid Christian school. The atmosphere is positive and it is very easy to make friends here. The diversity of the school reflects the real world and Harding prepares you for the real world. The teachers and students are all very caring and will love you with the love of the Lord.

Posted February 7, 2008

I was a student there during high school and could not disagree more with the negative comments people have left. Harding is a college prep school and every student is well prepared to enter college and most of us were well ahead of our peers from other schools when we did. The comment about social and maturity levels of the students should be completely ignored as that is the job of the parents. The students at Harding are no less prepared to enter the real world than they would be at any other school and I believe are more prepared than most to handle what was to come because of the strong moral environment that the school provides.

Posted October 26, 2007

Harding Academy is a great school both spiritually and academically and is really fun.

Posted September 19, 2007

My experience is with the secondary levels. This school is so behind academically. Weak on challenges or opportunities guided by teachers or admin. Counseling is non existant. Not college prepared and not ready for the real world when they graduate. Students are socially weak and lack maturity. I would not recommend this school or the the staff to educate my child.

Posted August 28, 2007

I am very pleased with the overall school experience that my daughter has received at Harding. She has been a student since first grade, now in 7th grade and the transition period to middle school is very structured. All of the teachers and staff members, as well as upper classmate, truly care about children and making sure that they succeed in life. There are a lot of extracurricular activities that students can participate in to build their self esteem and help them to learn. I would recommend Harding to any parent who is looking for a Christian-based school for their children to become successful caring adults. A parent of 7th grade student

Asian 5% N/A

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Pamela Womack
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Church of christ
Associations
  • NCSA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper