Ridgeway Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 799 students

Posted September 20, 2012

Ridgeway Middle Optional International Baccalaureate Candidate School is a great school! I am a third year parent at the school and I am happy with the changes that the new administration has brought to the school. My child loves to come to school and loves the new staff that have been hired under the administration. This school has stepped up and is after one year, one of two middle schools not on the low performing list in the Southeast region and moved to a level 5 school after one year of the new administration. My child is a part of the optional program and he is not only performing well in school academically but he is finding other interests in the many clubs and opportunities that are offered, that were not available before. As a parent, member of the Roadrunner 100 club, and cheerleader for the school, I want to commend Principal Corey Williams, Mrs. Turner and staff for what they are doing to make Ridgeway Middle School the best school it can be. http://www.mcsk12.net/schools/ridgeway.ms/site/index.shtml

Posted September 4, 2012

This school has been nothing but a headache since day one. The supply lists demand materials for the entire class rather than for my child. I don't mind donating, but supply whole classes is too much. They couldn't figure out their own registration lists. The administration was rude and condescending when I brought attention to a topic taught in class that was inappropriate and not factual. The same teacher wore unprofessional attire to open house. Then one day we happen to be a minute, maybe 2 late (definitely less than 5min). My child was told to call me as I must sign him in. For a simple tardy? I had to turn around, go back to the school, and when I went into the attendance office, there was a room full of kids getting tardy slips and NONE of their parents were there. Every since I complained about the course content, the staff and administration have been rude and it feels as if they are singling my child out. Schools like this are why Memphis cannot garner good teachers and retain them.

Posted June 12, 2012

Ridgeway Middle is a joke and a place of bullying from teachers and administration to students. I've never seen educators so disrespectful to students like those in Ridgeway Middle. I had to pull out my son, two months after school started. How can these educators demand respect from students? They should be a good example and be good roll models of respects, ethics and integrity.

Posted July 17, 2011

Ridgeway Middle School is one of the very best if not the nest public school left in the city of Memphis: Every school be it public or private has it's good and bad points but over all. Ridgeway has more to offer in a public school facility & academic. The location is awsomne!, the academics are on point & the extra curricular activities. As far as teachers & administrative staff goes! it's all the same Globally in the city or County or private; a person's educational portfolio cannot make up for what is lacked in character & common sense.

Posted August 25, 2010

The only thing that I like about this school is the CLUE teacher Mrs. Causey. The principal, the administrative staff, and the majority of all teachers that I have come into contact with at this school are rude, speak to you in an undignified manner, and single out children that stand up for themselves when they are wronged. Ridgeway Middle has lost my child leaving me to spend 2 hours looking for her, a teacher snatched her and threw her into a wall, and I am currently looking for another learning environment all together for my child. This school has caused stress and durest for my entire family. It was the same for my little brother when he attended this atrocious facade of a learning facility. In my opinion, Ridgeway Middle is one of the worst schools in the entire city, and should be closed!

Posted October 21, 2009

I love Ridgeway Middle School because my teacher Ms. Collins is the most patient teacher I have ever had. I am in Honors Algebra I and it is very hard. Ms. Collins is willing to stay after school or whatever it takes until I understand the problems. My other teachers are nice also. The Principle and Asst. Principle are tuff but fair. Don't get me wrong, every school has some bad teachers and some bad students; but overall Ridgeway Middle is a G-R-E-A-T SCHOOL!

Posted September 8, 2009

Iam not just a parent but I was a teacher at Ridgeway for the past year as well. My child loves everything about Ridgeway and never wants to come home. She literally goes to sleep and wakes up with Ridgeway on her mind. Academically, I was impressed, she did very well and I credit the wonderful teachers, who are so inspirational, motivational, and teaches so enthusiatically duing hands-on self-created lessons at times. They are awesome. The PTA meetings are more like a game. The parents are so supportive and involved. The administrators were on top of their jobs everyday on the halls making sure teachers were inspiring young minds. I have never seen a school so on top of their game or gain. Ridgeway is one of the best schools in the USA not just Memphis.

Posted August 27, 2008

I absolutely love this school! It reminds me of the time when teachers cared about the students back in the day. I attended the Parent Meeting tonight and could not believe the parent involvement and the enthusiasm of the entire faculty. My son went to Kirby Middle for one semester, and Ridgeway Middle is so different. At Kirby, when my husband and I went to the PTA meeting, there was a handful of parents and only the principal. That is so sad! Tonight at Ridgeway, there was so many parents, teachers, and students there. Amazing!! This is the way a school should be.

Posted August 18, 2008

Great school!!! My son loves it!! My husband and I love it too. It reminds me of when we were in junior high. Good quality leadership and teachers. Ridgeway, keep it up!!!

Posted July 20, 2008

its just a great school for students to go it has lots of activities and more!

Posted April 10, 2008

Ridgewayis okay i guess.Some teachers can be really annoying sometimes.Thay don't have sanitary bathrooms either.But the best thing there is band.I really enjoy it.Mr.Kennedy is the best.

Posted March 26, 2008

This school is the best ever, I've been going to it for a whole year and it been awesome!

Posted July 19, 2007

Ridgeway is not the best school because the teacher do not care about the students they jest want their money. The parents are not involved. I do not think you should let child or children should go here.

Posted June 19, 2007

I am highly disappointed in this school. many of them do not want to teach and are just there to collect a paycheck. The homework assignments that are supposed to be posted on the school website are rarely up to date. The children are kept busy with take home projects instead of quality homework assignments. School of the year? That's a joke.

Posted March 26, 2007

Ridgeway is an excellent schoool! I believe it is one of the top schools in the state! Dr. Richmond is a wonderful leader an role model, and keeps the school safe, organized, and focused on the goal of teaching and learning. I beleive he DOES want the kids there to succeed and cares about them. Most of the teachers are friendly and enthusiastic about learning. The school is beautiful on the inside, out! Students are given many optional programs and extra-curricular activities in order to expand on their knowledge on various subjects and studies. RIDGEWAY---A++++!!!

Posted January 19, 2007

I attend Ridgeway Middle School and I am not too fond of it. Most of the teachers are careless. The restrooms are horrible, the administration and falcuty is horrible. I would advise you to choose another school for your child.

Posted January 17, 2007

I am very happy with Ridgeway Middle School. Dr. Richmond leadership skills are to be commended. His concept of a fight free school is awesome. It is because of this concept and the structure of the fight free program, that I allow my child to attend this school. Ridgeway Middle also offers diverse extra cirricular activities. There is something for everyone to be apart of regardless of skill, gifts, ethnic background, or talent. Ridgeway Middle School students exempliy confidence, pride, and respect of authority and others. Ridgeway Middle is 'The very, very, very best school'.

Posted July 27, 2006

I think Dr. Richmond is a great principal.I'm not satisfied with the communication with parent/teacher.The teachers my son had last year where not reponsive to my calls or notes sent to them concerning my son.It took one teacher 6 days to call me back after several atempts to contact.The school has great activites to keep the students active.I like that Dr. Richmond make the boys put their short tails in.That makes them look presentable.

Posted May 17, 2006

My grandchild attends Ridgeway Middle School after moving to Memphis from another northeastern state. He has progressed beyond the norm per standardized tests results.Discussions with others about our 'wonderful grandchildren'at Ridgeway has not warranted much fault,substantive fault anyway. Ridgeway Middle School concert band wentin Atlanta this month and in a National Concert Band competition that included middle school bands AND high school bands...Ridgeway Middle School Concert Band was 1st in the nation against 33 of the top bands. The discipline and academic level required to participate in extracurricular activities including more than 50+ students is commendable... and it is expensive HOWEVER...the parents came up with the resources. The principal IS NOT the band director yet it is apparent he is director of the staff to warrant such accomplishments.

Posted January 20, 2006

I had a child who attended Ridgeway Middle School and I have been nothing but disappointed and disillusioned. The outside of Ridgeway is beautiful and sleek The students are dressed well and move about orderly. But beneath the gleaming facade lies a multitude of problems. Teachers seem more worried about security than teaching. The school is more like a prison than an instition of higher learning. Standards are so low only the most uneducated fail.I dont know how they are able to juggle and hide the fact that so many students are little more than functionally illiterate. My child made Honor Roll evey six weeks but when I compared his work to the work of a child from an out of state you would have thought he was at least 5 years younger. Shame on You Dr. Richmond. Shame on You Ridgeway. Your grade is F.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

253 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

252 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

252 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

Hispanic86%
Economically disadvantaged61%
Students with disabilities26%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 77%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (901) 416-1477

Foreign languages taught
  • Japanese

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Band
Media arts
  • Computer animation
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6333 Quince Rd