Posted July 29, 2013
Your stats are deliberately misleading to parents and more harmful than beneficial. This school is outstanding. You eliminated the subgroup data because it indicates how good this school is.You mixed data that has nothing to do with the principal, teachers, students or this campus. There is a deliberate attempt to hide the ability of this school to educate white students or "non-disadvantaged" students and also disadvantaged students TOGETHER. Shame. Understand what racism is and what poverty is and what it does to kids - and how people overcome that. Post stats that represent the ability of a campus to educate kids on a normalized dataset with cofactors. I suspect that this school is BETTER than any other Shelby county school at educating a non-disadvantaged child not living in poverty with involved parents. What it also shows is that this school is able to teach LESS advantaged and advantaged kids TOGETHER. What the site is doing is trying to push all the white kids into another district and that has nothing to do with the campus or the teachers ability to teach ALL children at Downtown. Post the normalized data please.

Posted May 16, 2013
Our son Joshua is in the Pre-K program at Downtown Elementary. I have to admit I was somewhat unsure about it initially, but since I work in downtown Memphis and the idea of him being close, his first year of school, it outweighed any of my concerns. I have to say I really have come to love the school, especially his teacher Mrs. Finlayson. We LOVE HER!!!! And sort of saddened by the idea that we will soon be saying goodbye to her and he will be moving on. I think she is a GREAT teacher and was the PERFECT fit for our son and his first year attending school. We will certainly miss her

Downtown Elementary School 2

Posted April 27, 2010
I never thought I would feel compelled to write another review about this school. I jumped in with both feet since my son started here in kindergarten. I was a tutor in the volunteer tutoring program, volunteered in my son's classroom when needed and went on many of the really great field trips. Unfortunately, this year I was involved in a situation with a child and parent, received absolutely no support from the school personnel and was basically hung out to dry. I am removing my son from the school this year. I will recommend this school with one caveat; WATCH YOUR BACK.

Posted November 29, 2009

Posted July 30, 2009

Posted July 28, 2008
Despite the Great School rating, Downtown Elementary is a great school. It is a unique jewel in the system that takes advantage of its location to use the downtown area as a interactive classroom. It is both academically challenging for my three sons who attend the school and socially rewarding. My oldest son just returned from an elite summer program at Northwestern University for gifted students. He excelled along with other private school students because of the learning skills achieved at Downtown Elementary. The test scores are skewed by a certain percentage of the students who come from economically impoverished backgrounds. The school has two tracks for students, gifted and traditional. The beauty of this school is that it seeks to educate all children at their skill level. Visit Downtown Elementary and you will see that it is a 10.

Posted December 04, 2007
Downtown Elementary School is one of the best inner-city public schools in the South. The Memphis business community brings recruits here to show off top-of-the-line facilities and staff. For this reason, they invest in the school, so it is funded beyond the public allotment for such things as a science lab, music program, computer lab, and play/gym equipment. Parents are very involved and help make the school a success along with the incredible staff led by the most dedicated principal. Diversity is reflected as the children of the international medical community bring many cultures to the classroom. This school pulls from the wealthiest and poorest sections of Memphis representing the district, and as an optional/CLUE school reaches accross the city to bring in the brightest. These varied perspectives make learning a real world experience that teaches values far beyond the curriculum.

Posted November 27, 2006
My children love to learn at this school. They are taught to read in Kindergarten. The teachers are excellent. Afterschool activities include chess, dance, art, swimming, guitar, piano and acting. My children love the art and dance classes.

Posted October 30, 2005
Well run school. good leadership from Principle down to excellent control in the classroom. Modern facilities. Spacious classrooms. Good communication with parents. Parents know exactly what work is being covered every 6 weeks. Parents actively encouraged to participate in school life. Very happy with my choice of school

Posted September 21, 2005
After being involved in another Memphis school, my family is very pleased with Downtown Elementary. The teachers are enthusiastic and very competent. Downtown Elementary offers excellent after-school enrichment programs, in which my children participate. We have also found the student population to be diverse, with children of different nationalities represented in the student body. Parents seem to be very supportive of the school and the school's programs, and I have seen a great deal of parent interest in what and how the children are learning.

Downtown Elementary School
10 North Fourth St, Memphis, TN  38103
Last modified Downtown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Downtown Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top