Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Between the principal being a tyrant and the crossing guard at Madison and Fourth keeping traffic backed up I'm not sure what is good about this school. School ends at 3:15; however, the principal took it upon herself to change dismissal for walkers to 3:30 and when parents questioned her decision to change the time without notice we were met with attitude, high police presence and threats against our child's attendance. I withdrew my child and I will never look back.

Overall the school is great. There's always room for growth but that's with anything. My is currently a student there and has been since kindergarten and will be there until he finishes 5th grade; we're in the 3rd now. I've had no problems with the teachers or the administration. They have all been very receptive to our needs. My son loves it and looks forward to going to school. There's tons for the students to become involved in. I would like for them to be able to join strings and the choir before 4th and 5th grade. I"m sure there's a reason they don't. There's other activities we've been able to participate in, chess, piano, Spanish, art, just to name a few. Downtown Elementary is a hidden jewel!

The principal has set a very negative tone for the whole school. She has no respect for students or parents. Teachers literally seem to fear her. I pulled my student from the school and have had zero regrets.

My son has joined kindergarten. The Principal and administration are highly enabling and facilitating the registration process. The teachers, assistance, and before/after care staff are also passionate about what they do. They meet the child where they are and let them grow further actively striving to get them into Optional (magnet / enriched academics) program for years ahead. Cafeteria manager accommodates special meal needs and all meals are free. Just like anywhere else, kids would learn words you may not like and with parental care and school team's guidance, it will be alright soon for my kid. Music, PE, CLUE teachers are also great. Thanks.

Your stats are deliberately misleading to parents and more harmful than beneficial. This school is outstanding. You eliminated the subgroup data because it indicates how good this school is.You mixed data that has nothing to do with the principal, teachers, students or this campus. There is a deliberate attempt to hide the ability of this school to educate white students or "non-disadvantaged" students and also disadvantaged students TOGETHER. Shame. Understand what racism is and what poverty is and what it does to kids - and how people overcome that. Post stats that represent the ability of a campus to educate kids on a normalized dataset with cofactors. I suspect that this school is BETTER than any other Shelby county school at educating a non-disadvantaged child not living in poverty with involved parents. What it also shows is that this school is able to teach LESS advantaged and advantaged kids TOGETHER. What the site is doing is trying to push all the white kids into another district and that has nothing to do with the campus or the teachers ability to teach ALL children at Downtown. Post the normalized data please.

Our son Joshua is in the Pre-K program at Downtown Elementary. I have to admit I was somewhat unsure about it initially, but since I work in downtown Memphis and the idea of him being close, his first year of school, it outweighed any of my concerns. I have to say I really have come to love the school, especially his teacher Mrs. Finlayson. We LOVE HER!!!! And sort of saddened by the idea that we will soon be saying goodbye to her and he will be moving on. I think she is a GREAT teacher and was the PERFECT fit for our son and his first year attending school. We will certainly miss her

I never thought I would feel compelled to write another review about this school. I jumped in with both feet since my son started here in kindergarten. I was a tutor in the volunteer tutoring program, volunteered in my son's classroom when needed and went on many of the really great field trips. Unfortunately, this year I was involved in a situation with a child and parent, received absolutely no support from the school personnel and was basically hung out to dry. I am removing my son from the school this year. I will recommend this school with one caveat; WATCH YOUR BACK.

Despite the Great School rating, Downtown Elementary is a great school. It is a unique jewel in the system that takes advantage of its location to use the downtown area as a interactive classroom. It is both academically challenging for my three sons who attend the school and socially rewarding. My oldest son just returned from an elite summer program at Northwestern University for gifted students. He excelled along with other private school students because of the learning skills achieved at Downtown Elementary. The test scores are skewed by a certain percentage of the students who come from economically impoverished backgrounds. The school has two tracks for students, gifted and traditional. The beauty of this school is that it seeks to educate all children at their skill level. Visit Downtown Elementary and you will see that it is a 10.

Downtown Elementary School is one of the best inner-city public schools in the South. The Memphis business community brings recruits here to show off top-of-the-line facilities and staff. For this reason, they invest in the school, so it is funded beyond the public allotment for such things as a science lab, music program, computer lab, and play/gym equipment. Parents are very involved and help make the school a success along with the incredible staff led by the most dedicated principal. Diversity is reflected as the children of the international medical community bring many cultures to the classroom. This school pulls from the wealthiest and poorest sections of Memphis representing the district, and as an optional/CLUE school reaches accross the city to bring in the brightest. These varied perspectives make learning a real world experience that teaches values far beyond the curriculum.

My children love to learn at this school. They are taught to read in Kindergarten. The teachers are excellent. Afterschool activities include chess, dance, art, swimming, guitar, piano and acting. My children love the art and dance classes.

Last modified Downtown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.