Campus School

Public | 1-6

Posted April 20, 2014

My daughter attended 1 - 5 grade here (finishing in 2013) and our son completed 2nd grade. We love this school. It is a very nurturing, family-friendly school with 100 percent parental involvement. The children are treated with respect and are among the most well behaved children anywhere. I like that the children eat their lunches in their classrooms - very civilized. Every Friday is family day and all parents, siblings, relatives, etc are invited to start the day out at Campus School while one of the classes performs skits and leads songs. Great school counselor was very supportive of my children. If you want your child in a nurturing environment, this is it.

Posted February 13, 2014

Incredible place! Very community driven, parents have so many opportunities to be involved Very dedicated staff and teachers that have been there for years! No one wants to ever leave because it is so great! My son has flourished here and has some learning issues! They have rallied around him and supported us all the way. The counselor is sweet, great after school activities, small classes and lots of student pride! They instill character into everything they do! Wonderful place to learn!

Posted June 12, 2013

My child just completed first grade at Campus school, and we could not be happier! The teachers and administration are outstanding! Nurturing environment, small class sizes, differentiated instruction that meets each student where they are, great communication, and a very active parent association.

Posted December 27, 2012

To the person who said that "the school is run by the government"-- No, it's not! Campus School is a laboratory school and its teachers are technically employees of the University of Memphis, which is why faculty and staff get first priority. (sigh) That said, if you have the opportunity to send your child to Campus School, you won't be sorry. You cannot find a better school, public or private, in Memphis.

Posted March 1, 2012

I just wanted to comment on the person who said that Campus school gives priority to faculty and staff. I believe that no public school should give "priority" to anyone. Everyone who applies should be equal. The school is run by the government. The government is supposed to stand for equality.

Posted February 19, 2012

I just wish more great kids could attend this great school. Just found out mine cannot, and I am so saddened that I have no where that I feel comfortable with to send my child to school. I thought with a husband that is a dedicated Memphis City Middle School teacher, we be able to benefit as well like the University employees, but sadly we are not a priority.

Posted June 3, 2011

This school is academically excellent and they know it. They deliberately weed kids out in the first grade to keep their star standing. My kid was booted out this year because she missed 7 days, was tardy 7 times, and had an early pick-up on a day when they called me to come get her because she had a fever. These infractions total 15 and she was automatically expelled for next year. We've exhausted the appeals process and lost. Every appeal outcome said the same thing- "we've reviewed the materials and find no new evidence" WITHOUT acknowledging the contradiction in their published student handbook. There is no such thing as an excused absence, regardless of what is says in the handbook. I no longer trust this school or feel its administrators care about the students.

Posted March 5, 2011

We have had kids in this school for a total of 12 years running. Our youngest finishes this year. We have seen the teachers and admin have the joy and love of educating slowly drain away. This was a great school for DECADES. if we had it to do again we would probably have not started our youngest here. It is going the way of other city schools. All they care about is TCAP. Only bonus is that I never worry about safety...yet.

Posted September 23, 2010

I was very excited to learn about this school when I was planning our move to Memphis. I called them to ask about it & found that first priority for placement goes to teachers and other employees of the U of Memphis. So essentially this is a private school for kids of university employees at taxpayer expense. I can't put in this comment without rating so I'm keeping the 5 star rating.

Posted March 4, 2010

This is the 2nd year my daugther has attended Campus. The first year was rough because we had a teacher that was about to retire and didn't really care much about teaching. Several parents complained. I was beginning to think we had made a mistake in our choice. However, I was assured that this was not the norm for Campus and that the next year would be much better. The 2nd year has been phenomenal. We have an awesome, energetic, and ethusiatic teacher who is well organized, attentive, and responsive. I just can't say enough good things about her. The students are learning, they are engaged, and excited about coming to class. I would highly recommend this school! Sadly though, Campus, after this year, will no longer offer a 6th grade. I'd really hoped we wouldn't have to do the school search again so soon. We'll miss it!

Posted November 19, 2009

Like so many other parents and children I love Campus School. I wish it went through 12th grade. My son and my daughterwould also love it. My daughter is now at WSMS she likes it ok but misses CS and the healthy attitude that she felt there. The warmth of the parents and the teachers is amazing children, preteens and teens know when they are valued. It makes learning so much more fun and inviting for everyone. Whatever you must do, do so that your child can expreience the U of M Campus School. It is the best Dr. Kash, Dr. Raines, step in line and let it grow into a much needed middle and high school.

Posted November 4, 2009

I wish for our children that all schools could be ran as Campus School. It works and more than that it's after effects are still working on my son.He wishes as I do that he could have went to the 12 there. GOD BLESS OUR KIDS !!!

Posted August 25, 2009

If you can get your chikd into Campus School do it. There is no better school in the mid- south than the U of M Campus School. I just wish the U of M would work with us to get it pk-12. Go Campus School!

Posted September 22, 2008

This is my daughters second year at Campus School, we love it! There is a very good feeling know that the teachers, director and all the support teachers put 110% into my childs education. She is in 2nd grade now and I hope the school keeps the 6th grade class going. I to moved to the University area, just to get my daughter in. And I am so glad I did.

Posted September 19, 2008

Our son has attended this school since 1st grade. He is now in 3rd grade and we anticipate he will continue thru 6th grade. The schools association with The University of Memphis provides additional resources and enhancements that are rarely available at other schools. In addition, the administrative staff and faculty are among the best in the area, public or private. Dr. Copeland, the Director is very 'hands on' as are all of the administrators. Our son is in resource for language arts and the additional support he recieves is beyond what we could have ever imagined for a public school. When speaking with other parents with children in private schools in the area the support and resources we have at Campus School are well beyond what they have seen in their schools. As a 'school of choice' in the MCS system we were thrilled to be accepted into the program.

Posted January 3, 2008

We are very happy with our choice to move our son from a private school to Campus. The teachers are wonderful and the student population is diverse. The school focuses on teaching values to the kids in their Friday Family Gathering. We love it!

Posted July 21, 2007

i rate campus school a perfect five stars.i love this school so much that i will still send my daughter here even if they charge tuition.

Posted May 29, 2007

I am a parent of three children, Two are already in Campus School the third will attend year after next. We moved into this area hoping we might get into Campus School. It was a risk, but we are glad we took it, we absolutely love Campus School and would gladly raise money to take Campus School from a 1-6th grade to 7-12th grade. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do that? The teachers are the best. The staff and administration go above and beyond their call of duty. This school is fabulous there is no other school that is as good or even compares to The U of M Campus School. Thank you Dr. Copeland, Ms Scott, for such fabulous leadership and parent support, also Ms. Donnenwerth for keeping the business of the school running so smoothly. We are truly blessed to be at The U of M Campus School.

Posted May 18, 2007

I have two children at Campus School and cannot say enough good things about the school. The environment has a private school feel. All the teachers know every student's name, and student behavior is outstanding. The teachers are always available and go above and beyond for every student. Parent involvement is extremely high, and this year the Campus School Parent Network was able to purchase a transverse climbing wall for the playroom. Campus School works hard at teaching social-emotional skills as well as traditional academics and provides many opportunities for extracurricular involvement. The school is an outstanding example of what a public school can be.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 8, 2007

Campus School is truly a remarkable school! My son is in the third grade and I can not tell you how he has grown in these few years. You have the best teachers and parents at Campus School. They have so much to offer and my son is now taking his second semester of Chinese! He is also in the chess club. He looks forward to going to school every single day. I feel extremely blessed to have him at this wonderful school in Memphis!! We only wish that there could be a Campus Middle and Campus High School. Maybe one day they will!! Angela Allen

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

All Students92%

White84%

All Students89%
White90%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

English I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 11%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

535 Zach Curlin