Memphis, TN
Students enrolled: 1,345

Overton High School 2

Posted September 04, 2013
This school needs some work. Throughout my sophomore year there have been many problems ranging from teachers to students. Some students really don't care and I'm in honors classes. Partially I feel some teachers don't care either. Some teach what would be taught in a special needs class. I don't feel challenged. As a WS Freshman I found myself challenged and coming from Colonial to WS I found myself not knowing the material from lacking math teachers and dedication to teaching left me struggling. Almost failing my first year, I resorted back to Overton but with a far exceeding knowledge of my previous year making the level of teaching seem easy and at a slow rate... but arts are good sadly bad reputation for everything else. The school has potential but needs order and is loosing it with every year!!!!

Posted October 13, 2011
this school is amazing. great staff. great students and great history. the capa is mind-blowing. the students really want to exceed in life. and everyone should want to go to overton high school.

Overton High School 3

Posted October 27, 2010
I graduated from Overton in 2008. Overton had its good and its bad moments. I was apart of the CAPA program and I loved it; however, outside of that, it didn't make it any different from any other public school. You had students who were trying to be like everybody else,students who were trying to better themselves, and ones who were just in the middle. Plus, the faculty wasn't that good;students ran right through them and the pep rallies were not thebest as well as some of there athletics. School spirit was to a minimum there,and I visited there recently and saw how so much has changed; I don't like how Overton is going.

Posted April 22, 2010
This school has lost its good reputattion. It makes a mockery of the other performing arts schools that are actually serious about building artistic careers for their students. It should just drop the creavtive and performing arts from its name and just become a regular high school. The principal as well as a number of teachers should consider diffferent proffesions. I am a senior of the 2010 class and i approve this message.

Posted October 11, 2009
its a great school to learn and listen to all suggestions and request.

Overton High School 3

Posted January 27, 2009
As I student, I do not feel challenged at Overton. The principal is not in control of the school or the student body which would explain the amount of recent fights; the teachers barely teach and complain about the simplest things which could be prevented if they actually took action and lastly the atmosphere stinks. There is NO school spirit, everyone wants to be something their not and it just really bombs when students like myself actually go to school to become something. But I guess that's the reality of going to a public school.

Overton High School 0

Posted August 07, 2008
Overton High School was a great school and provided an higher education and safe environment. I graduated in 2005 in the top 10 percent of my class. By far, it is impossible to fail any course if you study. Ifanyone fails there, its because they are not making the effort. What the school board has to learn is if the child has no desire and will to learn or do good then they won't.

Posted April 16, 2008

Posted March 08, 2008
The best school in Memphis. It provides both the arts and education our kids need.

Posted March 08, 2007

Overton High School
1770 Lanier, Memphis, TN  38117
Last modified Overton High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Overton High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top