Memphis, TN

Posted May 15, 2015
My daughter will be entering 3rd grade in August, she has been here since Kindergarten on a choice transfer. I can't possibly overstate how GREAT this school is. The principal, Ms McNary and vice principal, Mr Acker are amazing. Perfect balance. There is a teacher request system through 4th grade and you have input in that area along with the existing teacher which is great! We woudl highly recommend Ms Bounds in 1st grade and Ms Pechak in 2nd grade. Both wonderful, nurturing ladies - while striving for your child to be the best they can. Still has neighborhood school feel, high parental involvement. Better than any private school I have experienced. Will be sad when 5th grade comes around! Don't hesitate to send your child here.

Posted November 26, 2014
This is my first year at this school. I simply love the school. My daughter is in kindergarten and I just can't say enough about her teacher and the administrative staff. The assistant principal is so attentive and caring to the children. The school treats the children like family. I simply love this school.

Posted August 31, 2014
My oldest went to a local private elementary school. We feel that we have gotten a much better experience at Richland for a our youngest child. The teachers are amazing, creative, and so invested in each child's success it is amazing to watch as a parent. Being a part of the learning process, you can't help but want to be involved. It truly feels as though this school is one that has survived "the times", like a neighborhood school. The parents know the other children in the class. The teachers know the parents names, the siblings names, and actually care if a child has lost a tooth, got a new pet, or is struggling. I love it and wish we had found this school for our son. I don't know of any parent or student who doesn't feel at home here.

Posted August 03, 2014
I wanted my son to go to a private school but when it came time to enroll him we just could not afford the cost. I live in the Richland Elem. District and was told l was nuts not to send him. Well l had no choice so off to Richland he went. This year he is entering the 5th grade. There are no words to describe how l will miss this school. From K-4 l have loved every teacher. . it's. McNary, the principal, does an outstanding job. I would actually pay money to attend this public school. I think that sums up my feelings in a nutshell.

Posted September 27, 2013
I'm a parent of a new kindergarten student....and WOW!!! We spent close to 7k last year for a private pre-K school....but no lie, since she started at Richland, she is reading everything she sees. (She has only been there 2 months so far) I would recommend doing whatever it takes to get your child here! A++++

Posted February 10, 2012
I have 2 students at Richland and am so sad that this is my daughter's last year there. I have been so pleased with the education that both of my children are recieving! I would not hesitate to stand them up to some private school kids here in town to compare!

Richland Elementary School 2

Posted February 09, 2012
Cannot get a hold of the main office for 2 days straight. I tried 18 times. There is no voicemail :(!!!

Posted January 15, 2012
This is such a wonderful school. We feel very blessed to have our two children attend school here. Parental involvement is a huge plus at this school. I volunteer every week for my children's teachers. I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me that I can come and be apart of their daily routine at school. I was so nervous about sending my first child to a public school, especially in Memphis, but after visiting this school and others; Richland Elem. is like not other public school in the Midsouth. It exceeded all of our expectation!!

Posted October 25, 2011
Wonderful Memphis City School. Better than Private in my opinion, because of the excellent and caring teachers, and the support staff. Mrs. McNairy is an amazing principal. The PTO raises all of the money needed for extra items for the school, since Richland is not eligible for Title I money. Parental Volunteering is the main backbone of the school. If it weren't for the joint effort of staff and parents the children would be left behind. Instead they are excelling in all areas. It is a caring and nurturing school. That puts the focus on the kids, not the money. I recommend to any that can transfer in or live in the district.

Posted January 25, 2011
Richland is the kind of school every parent dreams of. It's better than a private school. It's the best of the public schools. My children feel nurtured and loved by a caring community of faculty, staff and parents. There is so much parental involvement at this school that my kids know all the other parents' names sometimes before I have a chance to learn them. Someone in an earlier post mentioned some discipline issues...each of those incidents was a one-time event that was handled quickly, professionally and to my high standards. I think any parent can feel like they are making the best decision to send their child to Richland. We love it here!!!!! The teachers are beloved, the administration is top notch and the parents who choose to get involved make the school exceptional in so many wonderful ways.

Richland Elementary School
5440 Rich Road, Memphis, TN  38120
Last modified Richland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Richland Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top