Shady Grove Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 384 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 25, 2013

Shady Grove used to deserve a 2 rating, but not anymore. The current principal has worked very hard to improve the atmosphere and culture of SGE. I have had 5 children there, and all have had overwhelmingly positive experiences. We came from a school rated a 10, so my expectations were rather low, but we have been pleasantly surprised. The faculty work well together to improve and support each child's academic and social growth. They emphasize good behavior and good attitudes. The teachers are communicative and listen to parental concerns. I have been welcome to attend class with my children when I felt they needed my presence to improve their performance. The guidance counselor and resource faculty are stellar! SGE really deserves a much better rating.

Posted October 19, 2010

Teachers, Principal, and staff really do work together as a team for my child's special educational needs. Due to privacy laws, the public school setting makes it more difficult to meet other parents than in a private school. My child really likes the aftercare program. Go Eagles!!

Posted March 25, 2010

Great school. Both my children are a product of this school. I recommend it often to people looking for a great school for their children

Posted April 9, 2009

I have been a parent at Shady Grove for 5 years, and have 2 children enrolled in the school. I will do everything I can to keep my children at the school. I have been so pleased with all of the teachers and staff. They are willing to do anything to help your child succeed. They are very invovled in all of the schools' activitives, anything to make going there a great learning and fun adventure.

Posted December 3, 2007

My daughter has special needs and she is finally getting the help she needs to help her progress past a stage she has been stuck in for some time now. She is being given the attention and help she desperately needed. They were an answer to prayer for sure!

Posted September 12, 2007

Specific overall complaints; The staff is unconcerned about bullies hitting other students. The teachers do not baseline test students using conventional and accepted testing methods as recommended by the state of TN. The teachers do not want parent involvement in the school except for fundraising activities.

Posted February 27, 2007

Now I have 2 children in this God for saken school. Last year was unbearable. My oldest son needed modifications in order to succeed and the administration just ignored the needs of my child. All year I hounded the guidance counselor to fill out the forms or did she get them yet. And every time it was always the same excuse. 'I don't have them yet maybe tomorrow.' If I knew then what I know now about Special Education and IDEA they would have been in hot water. This year the teachers are bullies. If you have a child with any disability rethink your decision on sending them to this school. There are only a handful of teachers that care about education the rest are only there for a check. Watch out on IEP meetings this school loves to do things half way. My children hate this school and I agree. Beware!

Posted December 6, 2006

I was a student for he last 7 years (1999-2006. Shady Grove was a GREAT school, but they had there problems. Like no talking at lunch and other flaws. But that didn't matter in te end. Shady Grove gets you ready for middle schools like WSMS (White Station Middle School). I had the BEST 6th grade teacher last year, Mrs.Duckett! She really got us ready for middle school and I make honor roll on my report card. Shady grove is a GREAT school!!!!!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 7, 2005

My children transferred to this school from Mississippi, and immediately my 2nd grader was diagnosed with a learning disability that I had been concerned about and blown off by Mississippi teachers. He loves school now and is doing much better. The best thing I ever did was move to this district so he could go to this school.

Posted May 24, 2005

Well, Im not a parent but, I used to attend Shady Grove Elementary! And I loved It! I am now in 8th grade and I still remember my incredible teachers!! The teachers truly do love thier students! Some of them were like my second moms, because I loved them soo much! In fact a couple of times I accidently called them ,'Mom'. Well, I don't know who all of the teachera and who the principal is now, but I know that when I went I never wanted to leave! -Katie Zapletal!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 8, 2005

I must disagree that the students 'enjoy' this school, mine beg everyday not to go. Schools do have to have discipline but I think Shady Grove takes this to an extreme. No talking is allowed at lunch, only at recess, and one of my children are not taken to recess for some reason or another. Having been the only parent from a class for two fieldtrips I see what my children say firsthand, the teachers are unreasonable and unfair. They are also quick to judge and extremely impatient. Give the kids a break, after all they are just kids.

Posted February 10, 2005

This is an excellent school. The teachers have a lot of experience teaching. The Principal has been in the field of teaching for over 30 years. She knows what works, she cares more about her 'kids' and her teachers than any 'office politics'. There is a lot of academic balance, here. The homework is instructional without being 'too much'. The Staff from the administration to the teacher's aids are amiable, kind and very knowlegeable and interesting. t The building of human beings is what is most important. From the history, cultural and science programs to the guidance couselor and tutors, there is a lot of emphasis on character, tolerance and academics. d Their school ranking is always in the upper 10%. of schools in the area. It is a disciplined, hard working and yet very happy place. The children really seem to ENJOY being there. Parents are always welcome, any time and the volunteer program is large and well-runned.

Posted May 20, 2004

My son went South Prak Elem.this year for a while and came upon a stumbling block,when I had him transfered into Shady Grove in a C.D.C. class where he can learn on his level,he is doing so wonderful I love his teacher and principal.I am glad he is here,my daughter will be here next fall.

Posted February 23, 2004

I have had three children at Shady Grove. My oldest is now at White Station HS in the optional program. I believe the teachers gave him and his sisters the education and emotional support they have needed to suceed. We have recently moved and are attending a new school in the elem. grades. It has not been nurturing or academically appropriate. We have sought teacher, guidance counselor, and pricipal assitance without luck. You don't always know what you have until you leave. I didn't really believe there would be such a difference. The teachers at Shady Grove may have had to learn to teach to the individual at an earlier time. But for my children it was a winner. The county school we are at now could learn a lot from Shady Grove school principal and especially the teachers.

Posted December 13, 2003

Teachers are very responsible and build great rapport with students on individual basis.

Posted September 9, 2003

Hi, I am currently a high school student, so technically I don't really qualify to be commenting here, but oh well. Shady Grove is my former school, and what can I say? Wow. I loved-and still love-my former school so incredibly much. I had thoroughly wonderful teachers who prepared me so well for middle and high school, at least academically. Emotionally, no one's ready, but that's another story entirely. Shady Grove has a brilliant principal-one that care so much more than either of the two I have had in either the middle school or the high school. Though being small makes it quite intimate, I can't say I was entirely prepared for the shock of the population in higher grades (455 students in the whole school...that's less than those in my grade right now at my school). Even with it's faults, Shady Grove is one of the safest, involved schools I've seen. I love it!

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

All Students52%

Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Fax number
  • (901) 416-2168

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5360 Shady Grove Rd