White Station High School

Public | 9-12

Posted October 22, 2009

It's so diverse and it allows nmany more open doors than any other school. All of my peers seem to have Spartan Pride and that id what high school is all about!

Posted October 21, 2009

It takes college preparation very seriously and has a large level of diversity to mimic the real world.

Posted October 13, 2009

As a junior at White Station, I have enjoyed two completely amazing years of learning, laughing, and living. I have learned and am still learning the importance of friendship, using my time wisely, and incorporating classroom concepts into everyday life. The knowledge that I have obtained attributed to WSHS, both inside of the classroom and out, is innumerable, incomparable, and has undoubtedly made me into the exceptional young lady I am today. In fact, contrary to popular belief, the most valuable aspect of high school education is not g.p.a., class rank, act scores, or anything else of that nature, but it is how you spend the last years of your childhood life learning the basic necessities of independence and self- worth. Looking back, I am extremely proud to be Spartan, and I am certain that there will never be a day in which I will regret it.

Posted October 12, 2009

White Station High School is the most elite school in Memphis, TN. We are the creme de la creme not only in academics, but also in athletics. The mighty spartans have have always proven that we are worthy of the recognition we receive and strive to improve and set an example for all of the other schools in our city.

Posted October 12, 2009

White Station High is one of the best high school in the state. Not only do we succeed in academics, but we also succeed in athletics! Every year we have multiple students to graduate and move on to Ivy League Schools. GO SPARTANS!

Posted October 9, 2009

White Station High School is the best of both worlds, a public school with the best education department in the state. For the past thirty years White Station has been the only school in the city of Memphis to have ACT and Gateway scores rate above the Tennessee average. We have had the most National Merit Semi-finalists in the state of Tennessee since I've been there (21 last year). I love my school. The teachers sincerely care about their students, and are strictly about giving them the best education and moral lesson. to prepare them for college and the real world.

Posted October 7, 2009

My child is a freshman at White Station and he hates it. After moving here from the west coast, he was placed in all honors programs because he was so far ahead in all of his classes. even though he is in honors/AP courses, he is still not challenged. And this is supposed to be the best that Memphis has to offer?

Posted October 7, 2009

Despite the dumb schedules and the silly MCS assignments, WSHS has given me the (arguably) best years of my life. I can't imagine how different I'd be if I had gone to any other school.

Posted October 6, 2009

Our school has the worst building and facilities of any around us, but we have the most diversity, the best test scores, and the best students who go off to the best schools in the country. Our students graduate to do great things, and go to ivy leagues and states schools in every state and in multiple countries. Our teachers do much more than just teach us. They encourage us to strive to do our best, and I could never be more thankful.

Posted October 5, 2009

I graduated from WSHS last year, and it was a wonderful school to spend my high school career at for many reasons like the fabulous teachers and the diverse student body. But the school itself is in shambles and really needs help. For being the best public high school in Memphis, it gets no love from the board.

Posted October 5, 2009

the quality of education in the optional program- see so many students excel

Posted September 30, 2009

I am a freshman this year, and I love this school. It is truly a great school. However, the deteriorating building and traditional student body really do have negative influences. The faculty is top notch, but the setting is not very encouraging. With our huge student body and unprecedented diversity, I find it easy to make friends, and more importantly, be myself.

Posted September 27, 2009

I have never met such wonderful students and teachers as I have here.

Posted September 16, 2009

With consistently one of the highest number of National Merit Scholarship finalists in the state of Tennessee, WSHS boasts a diverse student body who are not only academically motivated but active in their community and numerous extracurricular activities.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 5, 2009

My son attended a high quality, private school in Memphis for one year and insisted on returning to White Station. The diversity of the student body and the overall quality of instruction are unparalled. Based on his ACT and SAT scores, we expect him to have his choice of top notch colleges across the country.

Posted January 4, 2009

White Station is the best high school in the state of Tennessee. Last year, 21 students qualified as National Merit semi-finalists, the highest for any school private or public in the state. Memphis University School, which is a great private school in its own right, was a distant second with 11 semi-finalists. They have great teachers although it's disheartening that in recent times many of the best teachers have left the school.

Posted September 26, 2008

WSHS has indeed taken one step forward and two steps back. However, I still believe it has proven itself to be a good school, if more than fairly overcrowded. It is NOT for the squeamish, I will say that. Students are coming from harsh, real world backgrounds. So if you want a pretty, prissy, 'curtsy and say thank you sir' school, then get out and search elsewhere.

Posted May 21, 2008

Most recent events at this school are disheartening such as their taking the books before exams so we cannot properly study or changing the locks on the lockers without proper warning before the end of the school year. The 'Freshman Academy' is not really high school, but elementary school making this year's freshman just have to adapt to high school a year later. However, it is still the best school in the city, especially out of public schools. It should be said though that not all of the students are smart. That seems to be the most common misconception. It has the smartest students, but that is really only about 10%. Everyone else ranges widely in intelligence. Its resources are very good however. The only sub par program is drama, but it isn't horrible; the auditorium is the main problem there. We do well in every competition. It is very well rounded.

Posted March 7, 2008

My ninth grade year, I attended White Station for about a month or two and I was utterly disappointed. First and foremost, the school was so crowded that the I could barely walk the halls. The standard classes were absolutely tedious and the teachers acted as if they did not care about teaching us. All of the students- even the honor students- used horrendous language to converse and I believe that it was completely repulsive. Everyone hypes up this school as if it is beyond extraordinary, when in actuality it's worse because it has an great optional program to cover up the bad. Teachers pass students just to get them out of their classes and some student deal drug in or near the school. It' is just atrocious

Posted June 7, 2007

previous student.. great school!

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

542 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

566 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

573 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

584 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

481 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students ELL/ESL Coordinator
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Latin
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Orchestra
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

514 South Perkins Rd