White Station High School

Public | 9-12 | 2263 students

Posted June 29, 2006

There was a lot to do and the classes were great. You learned a lot and other than the usual stuff of kids getting into trouble it's a decent school for kids to attend.

Posted May 30, 2006

As a former White Stationer, I have to agree with the majority of the opinions expressed here. White Station was an excellent school, if you're in the Honors program. Having gone to the junior and senior highs, I was more than prepared for college, more so than others I met in college. To be quite honest, college was easy for me and I was much further along than many of my classmates. Sure there are issues with violence, race, under paid teachers, etc, but hello, how many high schools can say they don't? It's a building filled with teenagers, there's bond to be issues. There are less than desirable teachers everywhere. You just gotta balance and work harder. That's life folks!

Posted January 30, 2006

Admittedly, I'm not a parent, but a former WSHS student. But, to review the school: wonderful. As an honors student, I took mostly AP classes, most of which were not offered at the other Memphis City Schools, and honors classes. The teachers were wonderful, and I felt very challenged academically. Granted, the are MANY failings with this school. It's too crowded, there are a lot of racial tensions (Hello! This IS Memphis - what do you expect?), the buildings are in terrible shape, and not all the teachers are great (mostly the teachers who didn't teach honors or AP - I think they're just burned out). But with the costs of college today, if this school is an option, I say save your money to pay for college and not high school.

Posted March 21, 2005

White Station High School has an honors program and an accelerated students program that is probably the best in our city. I would put it up against any private school curriculum in Memphis. The standard program, however, has much to be desired. I'm not sure where it falls apart. Some teachers care, some teachers are just trying to make it through the day....alive. My daughter is in the standard program and on the honor roll. She studies very hard and has two parents who go over homework and help when requested. I never hear about teacher interaction. I usually hear about teachers who are hiding and passing students just to get to the next set of students. The school pours all funds and interest into the optional/honor program. The rest are left to fend on their own. You decide what kind of grade the school deserves.

Posted March 11, 2005

This School has an expected quality of education for our children. There is better learning in the honors classes. There are very excellent extracurricular activities. In short, parents get involved for the love of their children.

Posted January 26, 2005

From the mouths of the students and my own children, White Station has a major problem with some of the quality of their teachers. They also have a major drug problems that seem to be overlooked rather than dealt with in order to provide a safe and drug free environment.

Posted October 4, 2004

I've gone to private schools in memphis all my life. Now i'm in my freshman year at white station. It's my first time to be in a public school and i absoultly love it. White Station is a great school. I'm in the optinal program and I am really being challenged more than I was at Briarcrest. White station is a big racially diverse school. It may freak people out at first, but once you get into the swing of things, high school will be the best time of your life. I already love it and we've only been in school 6 weeks!

Posted July 14, 2004

I transferred from a Memphis private school to White Station to find a more diverse environment and a higher level of independence. I took more AP classes per year than most of my private school friends and excelled on all AP exams, SATs and standardized tests. The most important thing to me, however, was the learning environment of the school. Students in the optional program are intellectually curious, diverse in opinions as well as background and above all self-motivated. Most private school students I know are motivated by a dictated level of 'achievement' they are expected to attain. The top students at WSHS work hard because they want to learn. They choose to take AP classes rather than being forced into it. At WSHS, each student truly decides how difficult or easy an educational path to take. That is what makes it so unique.

Posted July 13, 2004

I attended the Honors Program at WSHS and felt that it prepared me very well for college and graduate school. The best public school in Memphis, if you're in the Honors Program. I'm sure the standard program isn't too great, but nobody really cares about that. WSHS is so well known because of the great students that are pumped out of the Honors and AP classes.

Posted May 18, 2004

When I first came to White Station, I honestly didn't like it. But now that I am about to graduate from this school, I have gained so much from it. High school is what you make of it. The standard program could use work, but that is with any high school city or county! The honors and AP classes offered are excellent and the teachers I have had work with me throughout my entire high school education. WSHS not only helps you to learn, but to grow. Also the diverse enviroment helps studnts to grow. Being a black student, I was not restricted to the black clubs or hanging out with that race, but I hung out with all types of people. WSHS is truely a great school. Maybe the parents who are complaining didn't take a more active role in their childs education and thats why they hate it.

Posted May 3, 2004

White Station isn't the school you think it is. If you want your child to go to White Sation put them in honors classes. They might be tough but they will learn alot more. My daughter was in a standard class all through high school and she didnt really learn anything because the teachers weren't willing to take the time to help anyone. But like I said before put your kids in honors if you can. It's a really great school, if you get into the sports and stuff.The prep-rallys are a lot of fun also. Thats all I have to say.

Posted April 24, 2004

this school was awful, so many gangs and cursing and awful language I pulled my child out before she could be influenced by it

Posted April 19, 2004

I graduated from White Station a few years ago. White Station is definitely the best public school in the state and could rival almost all of the private schools. I've been all over the state for various reasons talking to kids in Tennessee High School and I am astounded at how little these kids are educated. What seems like common knowledege to me is not known at all by kids from all the other schools in the state. White Station prepares the youth for a college career and by the time they are freshmen in college, they have more knowledge than sophomores in college do. White Station is the best school in the state.

Posted April 6, 2004

I cannot say enough in 150 words to express all the incredible aspects of White Station. From a nationally ranked basketball team to a dominant Knowledge Bowl team to an incredible average SAT score of over 1200, this school is simply the best in the area. White Station students work hard in advanced honors and AP classes but also know how to have fun. The student body is intellectually diverse which results in tolerance for minorities and majorities of every kind. Of couse the standard program is probably horrible, but anyone who wants to put in some effort could easily get into the top-notch honors courses. Students in the Memphis area who desire to learn and work hard to prepare for college should definately look at White Station.

Posted January 13, 2004

I'm a student at WSHS, and all I have to say is Wow. I come from a private school, and I was totally unprepared for the challenges they set for me. I have to work to make A's now, but that just makes the A's that much sweeter. I also love the people, there are so many I've found plenty who are just as crazy as I am. I have nothing but good things to say about WSHS! The teachers are, for the most part, excellent, and those who are disappointed just aren't up for the challenge.

Posted September 17, 2003

This is a great school. It is one of the best schools in the U.S. When colleges come to Memphis White Station High is their first stop. Our parent involvement is amazing if we need parents we always have more than enough. I will give WSH a full grade on everything.

Posted September 9, 2003

I definately agree with the student that found White Station High School to be depressing as a learning facility. The standard classed have poor instructors and the level of learning is lowered greatly when it should be raised. As a parent, I was extremely disappointed and I would never send my child to this school had I known what I now know. It school was a big mistake and ruined her desire to learn. I have often heard that the classes for the 'intelligent' students are good. But let's not forget the importance of learning for the average student. White Station seems to have forgotten this. I strongly recommend that any parent sit in on classes and get other parents opinions before enrolling their child in this school.

Posted September 3, 2003

White Station is an overcrowded, underfunded, and understaffed school. Students are unmotivated by an unqualified faculty. If this is the pest that the Memphis City School system has to offer, I suggest that parents consider private education.

Posted August 26, 2003

I am a former student of White Station High School, and I am troubled by the negative comments by parents. Those who bash White Station are either upset that their kids could not keep up in the honors program (in which nearly anyone can succeed with a touch of hard work), or they are anti-intellectuals, scared of their children failing in such a challenging environment. I feel that by attending WSHS, I have been given a head start in academics (college lit. classes are reading the same works as WS's 10th grade Pre-AP English class), as well as life, in that I have learned how to work together with a diverse group of people, fostering understanding and respect. I am not sure that there is a better school in the country, and I know there is not a better one in Shelby County.

Posted August 26, 2003

I have had two children graduate from White Station and I can honestly say that the experience was very rewarding. One of my children has learning disabilities and needed an environment that was geared more toward one on one teaching. The teachers and principals were very helpful and as a result my child graduated on time with her class.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

413 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

542 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

566 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

573 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

584 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

481 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students ELL/ESL Coordinator
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Latin
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Orchestra
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

514 South Perkins Rd