We moved to the Nashville area recently and schools were our top priority. If you are going to live in Nashville people will tell you that Williamson county schools are the best. However, the home demand and pricing there is outrageous. We then looked at Wilson county and the schools in Mt. Juliet are rated just as high. I take these rating with a grain of salt but our experience with this school is excellent. Our child was at the top of his class at his old school but when moving to Tennessee this school flushed out some deficiencies and he is now back on track. The teaching staff is very communicative and they use email and technology to their full advantage to not only keep you informed with what is going on, but also supplement the child's learning experience. If this forum is moderated, i would like to point out to the moderator that Great Schools district map is not correct. Our Neighborhood shows that it is not included in this District which is wrong and I'm am worried it has a negative impact home values. I would like to know where to report this mistake.
MJE is a wonderful school with smart, caring teachers. I have had children at this school for 3 years, and each year I have been impressed with the teachers' commitment to their students. My older child has some health issues, and the teachers have always been great about communicating with me and addressing my concerns and making sure he has access to what he needs to succeed during the day. I trust them fully with my children. There are a lot of involved parents as well, and MJE has the feel of a true community school.
Please pay no attention to the negative remarks on here. If you are reading this, then you are considering a school for your child who is the most important person or people in your life I know. I have a child here and had another who came through this wonderful school. Every teacher that my children have had have been caring, respectful,as well as challenging for them. They provoke young minds to think to their fullest potential. If some parent has had a problem, I assure you that parent does not want their child challenged, and most likely will be one of those who will never be happy and likes to complain. The principal is nothing but a thoughtful gentlemen who cares about the faculty and students. I hope this helps to ease your minds that this is truly the best school in Wilson county.
I moved to Mt. Juliet because I always heard their schools were better than Metro. My daughter had a problem in the 3rd grade and she called and needed me and I had forgotten I had let someone borrow my car, so it was 30 minutes before I could get there and I was in a panic. Instead of being understanding and calm and realizing he was dealing with a mother that was very, very concerned about her child, the prinicpal of Mt. Juliet Elementary told me that maybe MJE wasn't the right school for my child. He lost the little bit of respect I had for him that day and he'll never have my respect again. The teahcers on the other hand (for the most part) are EXCELLENT. Her 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Walker hs been amazing. I never want to have to deal with Mr. Brown again. I think he is a sorry excuse for an principal.
I would give a lower score if possible. I moved to Wilson Co. just to get my child out of another county school. It has not even been one nine week period and I am withdrawing my child from Mt Juliet Elem. I was surprised to have so many problems so early into the school year. I would say 30% of the faculty is average, while the other 70% need to make improvements on how they communicate with children and parents.
Wonderful learning environment with caring teaches who will push your children to succeed. Library and Music programs could improve but overall 'core' subjects are well covered. Test scores continue to prove this is one of the better elementary schools in the area.
I would rate lower if I could. There has been an utter lack of compassion and understanding from the school. The teacher won't answer questions I write to her, the administration is rude and the system completely inadequate for dealing with a bright child. Run. Run away as fast as you can.
As a substitute at MJE, I was not impressed with the attitudes of many staff members and felt like overall a lot more compassion and understanding for the students was needed. The librarian makes coming to the library as much fun for the children as being forced to eat liver and onions, and while many teachers and staff are good at their jobs, many are not, at least in my opinion. I am grateful my children are zoned elsewhere.