Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

Mount Juliet Christian Academy 3

Posted December 30, 2015
I have multiple children at MJCA, and have experienced elementary school all the way through, and some of secondary school there. I am really writing a review in hopes that the administration reads these reviews from time to time and prayerfully considers the validity of them. Overall, our elementatry experience was great, but there are a few teachers in the upper elementary grades that are absolutely not private school material. Parents are afraid to speak up to the administration, for the most part, and when they do, their concerns are dismissed. That said, this is true in any school environment. One simply hopes for a bit more when they are spending money for their children to attend a school. On the flipside, there are also many teachers who are the cream of the crop, and they are the ones who set the tone for our experience thus far. The school also has been growing their fine arts program, and has excellent music and art teachers. As far as academics, all I know is that in the realm of standardized testing, my children test very high, and because those tests are not based on internal comparisons, I can only assume that they are learning well at MJCA. I, personally, appreciate the approach to homework, and feel thta some parents view a lot of homework as a benchmark of a school's worthiness, but I appreciate that at MJCA in the elementary and early middle level, ample time is given to complete work in class for those who wish to do so. I do feel that strong leadership is very lacking, and this is particularly evident at the secondary level. The Christian influence at the secondary level is fairly nominal, and it is here where I think MJCA is greatly failing. I don't anticipate that our children will remain at MJCA through the entirety of their secondary years, and this would be the primary reason.

Posted May 29, 2014
I do believe that this school's staff mean well but the final product is just not good. Many here think that because they are paying for a "private" education, it is better but this is not the case. I was disappointed in the teacher and administration's credentials. My child summed it up when he said "This is a school with good intentions but it is 15-20 years behind as far as the curriculum, standards and the facility go." He also wanted to play sports for a "real" school and so we chose public.

Posted May 23, 2014
The Administration here is atrocious. Some people like it and think it is very attentive but don't be fooled. They do not care about anything other than trying to improve their academic rating, even at the expense of the kids.

Posted February 27, 2014
Excellent godly teachers, curriculum, and facilities. If you want your kids to excel academically and spiritually than this is the place.

Posted November 09, 2013
I have 2 children at MJCA and am very happy. My oldest went to DCA and hated it. She loves this school and it is more affordable. They just added on a new children's wing and I would not change a thing.

Posted September 04, 2013
I hate to be negative so I will start with a positive...the office staff is very friendly. Otherwise I have to say the teachers lack credentials, high turnover, outdated technology and REALLY bad athletics are what made us move to another private school. I will just say you need to tour Friendship and DCA and then go tour MJCA, the differences are HUGE and very obvious. We didn't leave angry, we just realized our children were not getting a good education, it was third rate, at best.

Posted July 22, 2013
This school tries hard but simply does not meet the standards if other private and public schools in the area. We were there for two years but were not hAppy with the mindless gossip and drama and mediocre staff and curriculum . If you want your precious child to be coddled and not see the real world this is the place for you.

Posted June 26, 2013
We have 3 children attending this wonderful school and could not be more pleased with the school setting and the dedicated teachers. The teachers go beyond to ensure your child is getting what they need. I am so happy that those I asked when searching for a school for my children all referred us to MJCA because it feels like a perfect fit!

Posted June 20, 2013
My son attended their pre-k program and had a great experience, especially compared to the daycares in the area. The teachers were actual teachers, degree and all! Communication between teachers and parents seemed strong. The rooms were always clean and organized. My son never complained about going to school. Overall, I would say they have the strongest Pre-K program in Mt. Juliet. We opted for public school for elementary so I don't know much about the other grades. Personally, we felt the public schools in Mt. Juliet were strong enough and didn't merit the large financial investment of private school. If you're looking for a strong Pre-K program then this is definitely where you want to be! I toured and/or tried just about all of them in the area and was incredibly disappointed at what is offered. I'm very glad we found MJCA. We had a great experience and are grateful for the time my son had there.

Posted April 16, 2013
We had children in MJCA for 7 years. I assumed MJCA had improved, however, last week a parent told me about things which led me to believe nothing much has changed. They fired their Bible teacher and replaced her with coaches teaching the Bible. So much for the Bible being important. The school has more sports per capita than other schools. The profanity of the football staff is inexcusable, but tolerated by the administration and parents. Just for fun, google TSSAA for score history. There was always mindless gossip and drama among the moms who loitered after the day started. Moms, please go home! It's all economics. With such a thin profit margin, if people threaten to withdraw their kids, they win, and the teacher that may be doing a good job has to go. At contract time no reason is given, the contract is just not renewed. Goal: appease parents to stay employed. The Christian element was strong in the elementary school, but lacking in secondary, or at least not enough to justify the cost. We didn't leave in anger, we just didn't see benefits of staying. We disliked the messy classrooms and unstable atmosphere. "Modest tuition" means "We don't pay our teachers well."

Mount Juliet Christian Academy