Erma Siegel Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted April 3, 2014

My daughter has been here since 2nd grade. I would recommend this school to anyone

Posted March 23, 2014

I love this school so much. They are great teachers and I am glad that I my son goes here.

Posted January 9, 2014

Incredibly disappointed! I heard good stories about Siegel, but I guess the new principal turned all of that around a few years ago. I wanted to tour the school before enrolling my child and was told I couldn't. I showed up at the school and requested information and was sent away, even though I had proof that they were our zoned elementary and I wasn't some crazy person off of the street. The office staff was incredibly rude. Teachers seemed cold towards the students. Before you enroll your child here, please, please spend a day observing in the class and do your homework. There are affordable private schools in the area that will treat your child properly.

Posted July 29, 2013

I'm going to submit a review, now that the principle can no longer do anything to us. This school is horrid. The principle is abusive to students and her power. She allows teachers and even herself to bully and intimidate students and their parents. I had staff members personally come to my home after I pulled my children out with more sickening bullying stories than I was even aware of. She has my boys so scared that when I picked my kids up from school they would be crying and were too scared to tell me why. When I contacted the board and she found out about it, she gave my oldest son in school suspension. Then used a disability my son has with his hands (makes it painful to write for long periods of time) and made him copy an encyclopedia all day. She even went as far as to laugh about it to get staff. I'm wondering if parents are aware of what is really going on with some of the children?

Posted May 29, 2013

Report it I have been blessed to have my children at Erma Siegel for the past 4 years - this is my daughter's last year there and, fortunately, she is headed to a terrific middle school. But my kids were so fortunate to have been able to attend this school - excellent programs and teachers. Dedicated, kind, and helpful staff. The principal is excellent. I have nothing but the highest praise for ESE.

Posted May 28, 2013

We've been at ESE thru the 3rd grade, and we won't be back for 4th. He's been in speech since Kindergarten. I've met w/ the Principal and Asst. in IEP meetings. The principal is cold and indifferent to a child and their family. We really have never had any problems with my child, but the principal and teachers behave as if we are a burden to them. When I'm in the school as a volunteer, and I pass the principal and try to greet her, she just looks down her nose at me. I volunteer weekly, and have witnessed her speak hatefully to students who weren't walking like soldiers in the hall, I have witnessed a 2nd grade teacher very close to a child's face, showing gritted teeth and putting her finger very close to the child's face and yelling at her, I have witnessed a child crying in the principal's office as she got in his face and screamed at him. Where is the kindness and compassion that children need to learn? Certainly not here. And lastly, my child is a minority, and we've always been treated as if we're not good enough for this school. By the way, my child makes excellent grades, and I volunteer regularly, so what's the problem? I guess I'm not part of the 82%.

Posted May 28, 2013

Very upset with the way Erma Siegel Elementary School lets their teachers bully the children. I thought being a bully was not tolerated, but obviously if you are a teacher it is ok. Very hard year for some sweet 1st graders by the way their teacher treated them. I am speaking of one teacher that I have witnessed and also the affect it has had on this 1st grader. NOT GOOD!! If do not like children ....find another occupation!!

Posted August 20, 2012

Erma Siegel is the best School in Murfreesboro! It is second to none. My children have had the best elementary experience. We have attended since 2010. The principal is friendly, attentive, and dedicated to the highest of standards in academics. Our teachers have provided an outstanding challenge, are compassionate, and dedicated the their students. The PTA is wonderful and very welcoming!!!

Posted May 23, 2012

this is easily the best elementary school ever the principal is a great leader i love their 3 rs

Posted April 11, 2012

This school is horrible. The older "it's wonderful" reviews are probably true. But since it changed hands to the new principle, it couldn't be worse. If your child ends up struggling with anything, your on your own, because they only care about numbers and shoving kids through the system. None of the teachers seem to care. The only effort that is really put forth in that school is the charade of it being "wonderful". And their bullying "policy" is a joke. Plain and simple: If it requires their time and attention, you won't get anywhere.

Posted May 17, 2011

I don't know why this school has such a good reputation. If your child is not not perfect, he/she will probably not do well here.

Posted June 4, 2010

This school is definitely overrated. I have 2 children in the Siegel school district. My oldest attended the middle and high school and I was very pleased but the elementary school is not all that it is cracked up to be. The teachers have a "i don't care" attitude. The principal protects her teachers and if I may say has lost her golden touch. She was such a great principal at Reeves Rogers. The only thing they have going for them is their AR program. Teachers are quick to label your children before they get to know them. The teachers gossip with one another about students and formulate an opinion about that student before they even give them a chance. The after school program is one of the worst and the director is messy. I will never send my child back to this school.

Posted October 28, 2009

My kids went to another city school before. All the city schools should be modeled after this one. The teachers care about your kids & their goals!

Posted July 21, 2008

Love this school - very clean, organized, community invloved! Great teachers, students, faculty!

Posted January 10, 2006

Our childern love this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

All Students90%

White91%
Economically disadvantaged67%
Students with disabilities46%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

English I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

135 West Thompson La