Barfield Elementary School

Public | PK-8

Posted May 9, 2014

We are finishing out our third year at Barfield and I have zero complaints. Our teachers and faculty are absolutely the best in Murfreesboro. I am lucky enough to be able to volunteer in my children's classrooms and see first hand the respect, genuine love and attention each child receives. Not only by the teachers, but the EA's, and each adult who works at BES. Mrs. Goodwin is amazing at what she does and she runs a tight ship - she backs up her teachers and supports them, but also holds them to incredibly high standards and holds them accountable if needed. I am thrilled with Barfield, and my two daughters also love their school!

Posted February 25, 2014

i am a student that went to this school and i am now a freshman in high school. honestly, there is no other school better than this one! this school is the most amazing school you can go to! the teachers will guide you and help you through anything and everything, that you need assistance with! the principal is excellent, in every way!

Posted January 30, 2014

This school has been a major disappointment! My children transferred from an excellent Murfreesboro school where they both excelled with very competent, engaging, and caring teachers year after year. This year we have Barfield teachers who show no concern for the children, don't acknowledge "above grade" work, and generally fail to offer any meaningful encouragement. However, they are very quick to discourage by distributing "marks" for even the slightest infraction. In fact, the whole school culture is oppressive in that absolutely anyone who has ANY interaction with a child, no matter how brief, also distributes "marks". Efforts to communicate with these teachers and the principal have been fruitless. My daughter, who came to this school reading 3 levels above her grade and attending every "good behavior" party at her previous school, is now begging to return to her previous school. I've spoken to a number of dissatisfied Barfield parents - I wish more of them would post so others would have a more balanced view. I'm sure this school has a number of caring, competent teachers, and I hope we are fortunate enough to get them next year, but school shouldn't be a carp shoot.

Posted July 30, 2013

Me and my wife love this school. The staff is top notch and the communication is above and beyond. I only wish I had this when I was a kid.

Posted April 29, 2013

This school is awesome! My daughter is in the kindergarten readiness program and I can't say enough about how great this school is. There is daily communication from the teacher and the school, Mrs. Goodwin helped my daughter through a difficult time with her behavior and now she is doing great! I can't recommend it enough!

Posted March 13, 2013

Barfield, in my opinion, is not the school for your child if he/she faces special challenges outside of the plain and obvious. Their challenges may render this response: "these concerns are dealt within the classroom by the general education teacher"...the one who didn't study speech/ language disorders and pragmatics, the one who didn't study attention problems, learning disabilities, autism spectrum disorders, ADHD/ADD, dyslexia, how to help a kid that can't button their pants, hold a pencil correctly, etc. (SPED folks who did study are lacking in providing the right help). A teacher who isn't knowledgeable to accommodate your child's specific needs is the one left to address such concerns, without much guidance. Not teaching children how to apply what is learned isn't true teaching. Helping a kid make a good grade or score isn't teaching. Helping a kid learn something that they can apply in everyday life, and teaching to their specific learning style and needs is true teaching. I'm very disappointed in this school because I don't feel that the administration and the majority of it's teachers have come close to meeting my child's needs. Good luck if your child is being bullied.

Posted November 14, 2012

My child is enrolled in this school. I am told there are 500 out of 1100 students in the Tier II program (K-5). How can this be a competent school of teachers and leadership? Basically, what children were taught last year (and so far this year) was not taught properly if almost half of the school is in Tier II in my opinion.

Posted May 23, 2012

This is a wonderful school full of people who genuinely care about each student. Ms. Goodwin should get principal of the year...every year.

Posted November 11, 2011

Great school with great teachers who truly care about your child. Love this school. Ms. Goodwin, the principle, is wonderful. A+

Posted May 29, 2011

BARFIELD is an excellent school. I have 2 boys that have been in this school, one for 5 years and one for 2 years. My oldest son is a straight A student that was part of the Spectrum program. My youngest son has food allergies and ADHD. The principal, asst. principal and all the teachers we dealt with were wonderful. They challenged my oldest son and kept him interested, and made sure my youngest had a safe environment for his food allergies. Also, if it wasn't for the help of the principal/asst. principal/teacher, we would not have been able to diagnosis, his ADHD and have a clear plan on how to provide him with the best education possible. I can't say enough about how wonderful Barfield is. We had to move to North Carolina are saddened to have to leave Barfield.

Posted October 11, 2009

My child has Asperegers syndrome and the staff at Barfield Elemetery couldn't be better! They have my childs best in their hearts! They have done everything they can to help my child! I had my child in a city school for kindergarden and was very unhappy! I rate Barfield 5 stars!

Posted May 11, 2009

Principal Goodwin and her dedicated staff promote learning in a fun and interactive way. I have a child who competed Barfield Elemenatry last year and one who began Kindgergarten Readiness this year. We will have been at Barfield Elementary for 13 years straight when the youngest one completes 5th grade. I am thrilled with the quality of teachers and their inspiring methods of teaching as well as the administration's expection of personal responsibility and respect for all. I am proud that my children are reiceving an excellent education in a creative and safe environment.

Posted July 12, 2008

Awesome! The children are actually loved and the staff are held accountable. I believe it all starts at the top with Mrs Goodwin and her genuine love for the children and the teaching enviroment. Our daughter is/was held accountable to the curriculum and to her behavioral skills. Just when I thought that I was done with 'school', I was informed that it was noticed that I hadnt participated in a teachers conferance and a school activity! I love that the leadership believes in and is committed that the teaching process also extends into the home and that both parents should be involved. Keep up the great work!! MAKE IT a great day, Jeff and Kim Jenkins

Posted March 8, 2008

My granddaughter has been a student at Barfield for three years and we could not be more pleased. Daily communication, webpages, and newsletters (both classroom and total school) keep parents in the loop and give them many opportunities to be involved. Barfield is the model for collaboration and creating a nurturing environment with high academic standards. Any parent who wants to know more can volunteer in the school and you'll get a whole new appreciation for what goes on there!

Posted September 8, 2007

We moved to the Barfield community right before our son started Kindergarten. I was a little intimidated by the size of the student body, but quickly realized that the administration does a great job of making it feel more like a close-knit community than a large school. On top of that, we had a teacher who very much cared about all of her 'kids' and paid close attention to their development (thank you, Mrs. Pittenger!) We ended up putting our son in kindergarten for a second year because he needed more time to mature. Without our teacher's insight, we would not have thought to consider an extra year. It has been the best decision we have made for out son! He is in first grade and doing fantastic, and we can't thank the people at Barfield enough.

Posted September 6, 2007

I think that Barfield is a wonderful school. My son attended Kindergarten there. We are now moving and selling our home in Indian Hills and we will miss the school!

Posted May 26, 2007

Barfield is the best school for your children. They have many activities,programs,and all the fun stuff for your kids to be educated. Whenever my child comes home from school at Barfield there is always a smile on her face.Making my child happy is the best thing that can happen to me.Barfield is where my child had the most friends.But even though now that she is in 5th grade going on 6th,we'll never forget that school no matter what happens.All that I'm saying is Barfield is the best choice of school for your children!

Posted May 9, 2007

Barfield is an overcrowded school. The parking lot is horrible and dangerous to the kids and parents picking up. I have two children that attend. Teachers are very hit and miss. Two have been pretty good but three have been horrible. Academic programs are standard for a public school but you get very little communication as to what your kids are doing or need to do. Extra activities are good for a public school like music, art etc. Parents seem to be very involved and for the most part are impressive in regards to helping. Safety and discipline are a joke half the time. People can just walk in without being stopped. The school and Principal depend too much on what little kids say and do instead of communicating with parents. Be prepared to provide and pay for just about everything that your child needs,apparently some schools won't take responsiblity.

Posted February 20, 2007

Ok school if your child does not need any special attention/special education services. Classrooms are large and teachers can not pay attention to individual students. Special education services are severely lacking. If your child needs special education services, you would be better off with the Murfreesboro City schools.

Posted September 30, 2006

I think Barfield is a wonderful school!It is very safe with dismissel.Both of my kid's teachers are absolutly great.My kids attended private school until recently.This public school feels like a private school.I would reccomend it to anyone.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 41% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 47% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

Writing

African American94%
Economically disadvantaged92%
Students with disabilities67%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

English I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 30%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

350 Barfield Crescent Rd