Oakland High School

Public | 9-12

Posted June 22, 2014

Oakland High has a culture that nurtures academic achievement. I can't think of a another that I would want my children to attend.

Posted April 13, 2014

I am currently an Oakland High School senior, and I would give it six stars if I could. I stand firmly by the statement that OHS will give you the most well-rounded and personalized high school education out of all 6 high schools in the city of Murfreesboro. The faculty and students are in general dripping with benevolence and love. The faculty as a whole are working to help students achieve their greatest potential. A few other reviews complained of subpar faculty and administration, and I would have to agree to an extent. The administration can be sometimes arrogant as a whole, but most of the time they do a good job and are fantastic people. The teachers are hit or miss(generally try to avoid coaches of any sport), but when you get a good one they do an incredible job of teaching and doing anything to help the students(staying extra un-paid hours, etc.). Sports are excellent(check the stats), clubs are generally good, and the academic programs simply take the cake. IB, engineering, art; they all rock. Not to mention about half of the building is just a few years old. A high school experience is what you make of it, and OHS is a great place to make it an amazing one.

Posted February 17, 2014

Oakland High School is a hidden gem. We are moving just so our son can go to this school.

Posted November 7, 2013

I currently go to oakland high and I can definitely say that if you're going there to participate in IB, it's great. The teachers and staff of the IB program really challenge you and help you out if you need it. Musical education is fine this year and so are many of the sports.

Posted July 30, 2013

This was a first year here for our kids & the teachers want to help the students at times and other times they don't. I was in the middle of the road till midway in the school year when a teacher told her class she wasn't sure why the principle was still running the school she hates kids. I was not impressed by the principle either but, in a classroom setting w/ kids is not the place to talk about things like that.

Posted February 3, 2013

administration doesn't take effort to improve the student body activities. school events are plain and simple no frills. yearbooks are awful. school lacks originality . boring school but students are nice.

Posted April 27, 2010

The leadership is excellent as they focus on academics. They have the IB program which is very rigorous and a challenge for students seeking tough courses. The school offers good athletics to students. The staff are very responsive and proactive on safety and discipline issues.

Posted November 19, 2009

i currently go to Oakland..i moved there a couple of months ago...and i love it...its a really nice place to go..they are on top of things...when someone asks me do i miss my old skool i say no i only miss my friends...but Oakland is the place to be!!!!

Posted May 27, 2009

Emphasis was placed on passing students whether they met the basic requirements to graduate or not. Very little discipline in the school. Very poor communication.

Posted March 9, 2009

Oakland High School is amazing! You should definitely be jealous of students here if you do not have the awesome opportunity to attend. :)

Posted December 6, 2008

I currently attend Oakland and i have to say, the school, teachers, athletics and fellowship of students is excellent. Our football team just won the state championship tonight and I am ecstatic. If you are considering coming to Oakland, I strongly encourage you to do so. As we say at Oakland, 'OHS, the baddest team from east to west.' I am thrilled to say that Oakland is my Alma Mater.

Posted August 23, 2008

We rezoned out of Riverdale to put our daughter in the IB program at Oakland. My daughter loves the students and the school. The band program is awesome under Ty Jessup and Ms Warner!! This school has been an excellent move for us-we have no regrets!

Posted July 15, 2008

This is the best high school I could ever imagine going to. I am now a sophomore at Oakland and couldn't be happier. I had wonderful teachers last year and can't wait to meet my new ones. But the main person who makes our school great is our principal. He is new to the school but has definetly turned it around. I am honored tosay I am a student at Oakland.

Posted April 16, 2008

Our son is a freshman in the IB program and is having a great year at Oakland. The teachers are strong, the sports programs are very good. Our kids have gone to school in New York and Minnesota and so far we are having the best experience in Murfreesboro.

Posted April 17, 2007

I attended OHS as a freshman in the 2005-2006 school. The school was wonderful and I miss it dearly! The extra curricular activities were varied and encouraged. At the same time academics were the focus. I was in 3 honors classes and 2 advanced honors classes. Their class types suit any learning level, from remedial to advanced. I miss Oakland very much, but feel privileged to have attended such an esteemed school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 14, 2006

my daughter is a sophomore at ohs. she has been since her freshman year. I would recommend ohs to anyone. she is in honor classes, plays soccer, and runs cross country. she makes good grades and when grades slip I email her teachers and we have a conference. I have met 3 teachers before school so they can accomadate my schedule. I find the teachers overworked but they still have time to care about my student and meet with me at my convience. WOW what a school

Posted November 22, 2006

I really don't like this school. Most of my teachers are mean and kind of rude. The seniors think their better than everyone else. The principal is ok. Parents don't really get involved.

Posted July 2, 2006

I am an OHS junior who really loves my school. One thing that I love about Oakland is the sense of family that we have. We all get along and are friends. Oakland has great teachers who make the classroom fun and have no problem working with students to help them through their classes. Oakland has great extra curricular activities compiled of talented kids from every end of the spectrum. We great arts programs complete with an accomplished marching and concert band, theatre department that always puts on a good show, chorus and chamber choir who can really sing, and a visual arts department that has very talented artists. We also have great things going on in sports. We have a wrestling team, basketball team, baseball team, and a swimming team that are some of the best in the area. OHS is an awesome school that really deserves more credit.

Posted February 28, 2005

I find the education at Oakland is appalling. The teachers are anguished and have a lack of judge of character. The extracurricular activities are often average and in several cases mediocre, having little involvement from teachers or parents alike. I find that very few parents care take part in the school run activities, with only a handful of exceptions. Overall, this facility's quality is deteriorating anually and I intend to transfer to the neighboring school.

Posted December 9, 2004

I attended Oakland as a high school stundent and was thrilled to learn my child hold choosen to attend Oakland instead of going to Siegel with his friends he is now in the 10th grade and has learn more than alot of his friends at Siegel,Oakland has always been a outstanding school and always will.
—Submitted by a former student

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

532 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

522 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

511 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

498 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

489 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• ELL/ESL Coordinator

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2225 Patriot Dr