Riverdale High School

Public | 9-12 | 2134 students

Sweep tile

Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Riverdale is a decent school. I went to Oakland before hand and switch to Riverdale my junior year. People wise, RHS is great. Everyone is friendly and so is the faculty. It is very laid back, unlike Oakland. I enjoy is here socially. But, on the academics side, it is very very lacking. I took IB at Oakland and am now in AP at Riverdale, and I can say AP is a huge joke. My Advanced Honors classes are more educational than AP. The Spanish department is great. I can say at Riverdale my education has down graded from Oakland. I have not learned much here and I feel that has greatly impacted my feelings towards public highschool.

Posted October 2, 2012

Currently, I am a senior at Riverdale. I have been attending this school for 4 years and am very impressed by it. Yes, the school helps fund athletics, but it has also helped to improve the school throughout. You can actually get a fantastic education while having a lot of school spirit. They offer so many accelerated classes that prepare students for college and all the teachers I have had have actually wanted to see students succeed and learn. I highly recommend that students attend this school, take several of the advanced courses, and participate in a few of the many clubs/sports they offer. Personally, I have been in 7 different clubs/sports, taken at least 14 Honors/AH/AP courses, and will have around 14 college credit hours when I graduate. Truly, the people who are saying the school is just about sports are wrong because I am walking proof that you can get a good education out of going there if you just sign up for the right courses.

Posted September 23, 2009

I went to Riverdale for two years, switched over to Blackman and realized I did much better academically at Riverdale, so I came back for my senior year. Plus, I had a tight-knit set of friends I wanted to keep here.

Posted September 16, 2009

The facility there makes the school amazing. Mr Nolan is the best principal becauses he's nice and acts like your best friend. The school itself wasn't strict which is what makes student enjoy it more. I never had a teacher I didn't like and every teacher I had, I loved because I was able to connect with them. The athletic department is one of the best! all the teams are competitive and amazing at what they do! Overall, I loved my time at RHS and the programs they had to offer!

Posted September 16, 2009

We have a great student body and a wonderful principal who really cares about our students. The pep rallies are the best in the state, possibly the country.

Posted August 19, 2009

I had four kids graduate from Riverdale in the past 10 years. None were athletes. All did very well in college. It's much more than just a football school. The arts programs are improving each year. Academics are somewhat teacher dependent but with parental involvement a great education can be obtained.

Posted March 21, 2009

Riverdale is the best. I'm a freshman and i love it there. the teachers are amazing! go Warriors!! :D freshman cheerleaders ROCKKK! ;P i would say if you want your kid to get a good education; send them to the home of the Warriors! but i have to say it is a very sports oriented school. but i love my sports! so.. GO WARRIORS!(:

Posted February 24, 2009

Riverdale is home to the mighty Warriors...which, unfortunately, are no longer so mighty. It is an old, run down campus with ineffectual academics and a downright scary lack of security or discipline. The one exception is the French teacher...children actually learn French, if nothing, else in this school. If you are moving to Rutherford County (the home of the good ol' boy no diversity school board), I suggest checking out Blackman or Siegel.

Posted September 5, 2008

Riverdale has become a much better school. The gym now has air conditioning. (thank goodness) the band room, JROTC room, and choir room were seperated. The cafeteria is much larger. RIverdale is becoming more of a sports school, instead of a football school, with help to the lady warrior basketball team in 2007. (state champs!)

Posted January 2, 2008

My son was homeschooled right up until the 9th grade. I was concerned that he would have problems in public school, but he has not because Riverdale is an outstanding school.

Posted December 6, 2007

It is true that the school gives a large majorityof there money to the football team. The school is in high need of renovation. The cafeteria is not big enough. The Band Room is not big enough and their is no air conditioning in the gym. We like Riverdale but these are the facts. It is overpopulated. Parking is terrible disrepair. The band has a strong band booster program. But the football team and there needs come first.

Posted August 9, 2007

I loved this school when I attended here from 2002 to 2006. The school spirit is amazing! It is an old school though, and needs improvement. The band room is not big enough(or wasn't when I attended), the auditorium isn't big enough, and the choir and JROTC rooms need to be in seperate areas from the Band room. Neither are good where they're located for practicing purposes. Also, more money is spent on the Football team than anything else. The Football team does not need new uniforms every year. What about using some of their money for the band or something else? Most teachers and Mr. Nolan are great! There are so many oportunities for learning and Mr. Nolan seems to really care about and love this school. But maybe instead of the county spending money to improve Blackman and Siegel(newer schools), they renovate Riverdale and Oakland instead.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 7, 2007

Riverdale is a wonderful school. It is famous for its school spirit for good reason. If you want a school with impressive academics, diverse classes, many extracurricular activities, and a supportive student body, then Riverdale is for you.

Posted October 13, 2006

Riverdale has great school spirit, wonderful leadership and an outstanding student body. As a parent, I am proud for my child to attend RHS. For those who are unaware, the football team requires each player to raise a rather large sum of money each year. In addition, the parents and grandparents, etc. who support the team, continue to raise funds all year by working the concession stands, selling ads, car washes, etc. The parent support group tries to provide for the needs of the team so they can concentrate on being the best they can be on the field and not worry about money. It is not true that the school only supports football. The school focuses on academics as well as other extracurricular activities. It is a very winning and motivating environment to be in.

Posted September 20, 2006

Riverdale, is unfortunately a football high school, meaning that the majority of all funds are allocated to the athletic program. While the athletes are excellent, not very much credit is given to those students solely concentrating on their studies.

Posted February 19, 2006

great teacher support,great honors courses, fantastic parent involvement and unmatched sports program

Posted August 20, 2005

i think that riverdale is a great school. mr.Nolan is a great principal! riverdale's athletics are also great! im a big fan of the football team! i love riverdale because the teachers are great and they give you freedom but also they keep you in line! i highly recomment riverdale to anyone!

Posted December 14, 2004

This school is very good with outside of school activities. It has a nationally ranked foot ball team and other very good sports teams. The test scores in this school are great and the school spirit is very, very high. This school is a greatpart of Rutherford County and evn the state of Tennessee.

Posted October 27, 2004

I am not a parent, but I am a current student at Riverdale High. I must say that this school is not nearly the best. The faculty is mostly comprised of first year teachers who can't handle the stress of teachers who are about to retire and only come to school to collect a pay check. Do not think that I am bashing this school b/c I am a deliquent teenager, I am will in fact be graduating this year with an honors diploma. I have worked hard and alone. I as well have a unique perspective on the school b/c I moved to TN the summer before my feshman year from UT and I immeadatly saw and felt the difference and how bad the education progams were. I was not allowed to carry the high school credits I had earned in UT to this school.

Posted August 14, 2004

This is my first year at Riverdale and I love it! All the teachers are well educated. It's a big school ,but they really have it well organized and planned. They give us freedom to be responsible ,but are still there if we ever need them. I know that I can always go to someone for help even though it's such a big school. They offer so many classes, activites,and clubs for all students. Riverdale is a WONDERFUL school and I've only been there for 4 days! Parents and kids will LOVE this school!

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

505 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

462 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

569 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

556 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

505 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

410 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/A55%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Drama

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

802 Warrior Dr