Blackman Elementary School 4

Posted September 04, 2014
I like the following about Blackman Elementary: *It's clean, both inside the building and outside area. *The teachers project friendliness and professionalism at all times (when I've been there visiting or at an extra curricular event). *They seem to be technologically with the times. Projectors, computers, emails, etc for example. *They have a nice library system, where the students use a UPC bar-code system. It makes checking out books quick and easy. *The administrators have a policy where they hold parents accountable for the students. This makes sure that students both learn at the classroom and reenforces what's been taught at home as well. What I don't like about Blackman Elementary: *Art, PE, other programs that I had as a kid are not offered everyday. *The technology is present, but seems to be dated. CRT monitors, seriously? *Constant fund raising. It feels like there's one every other month. *Other than federal holidays, it's seems that there are always in-service days and a half day EVERY month.

Posted August 20, 2014
The principal Mrs.Ford is not a great principal. She is more concerned about punishment vs. guidance. Test scores vs. emotional security. The whole vs the individual. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable in who I was untrusting my 6 year old to, however he came home everyday discouraged and down trodden. Punishment like taking away recess were given away liberally instead of helping him change his behavior through other avenues. We moved here from the capital region of NY, from the best school district out if 84 school districts, from the best elementary school in the district. I realizing now why that previous school was so great because they treated each child as their own and really wanted each child to succeed. I am very disappointed, especially since we moved to this area for this school. Even the teachers don't agreed with a lot if Mrs. Ford's rules and look scared of breaking them, almost like deer in the headlights. On the other hand we are dual zoned and Overall Creek has been a Godsend. They are the exact opposite and tell you that they treat each child as their own and really love them.

Posted July 22, 2014
I have visited with and had conversation with this school district staff and members of the community multiple times. I am moving from a top ten dying city in Ohio to here a top 10 growing city in multiple facets. My current school ranks a 4 from a 6. This is Suppose to rank a 9. This is our families future and last hope. This is be the right decision. Follow our progress on multiple medias. We are The Fox Family.

Posted July 19, 2014
Blackman Elementary is an excellent school. My children have excelled in every area of academics and they are continuously challenged to do their best. Mrs. Ford is an outstanding principal who goes above and beyond consistently. The teachers are dedicated, supportive and caring.

Posted July 10, 2014
While our teachers have all been amazing, our experiences of Blackman Elementary have been very unsatisfying. Double standards are the norm. The school sends home generic publications about your child's healthy eating and exposure to electronic games, but apparently it's okay for the school itself to reward the children with candy (which I never have at home), Krispy Kreme donuts for A's on report cards and gift cards to eating places like Zaxby's for good behaviour - not exactly known for it's healthy choices. During TCAP, students were actually encouraged to bring electronic devices to school - why is this a good idea? This school does nothing above and beyond for your child's education. Where are the science fairs and homework projects that are standard in other schools? Parent volunteers have to leave the building by 10.30am. This is not enough time to be of much help to the teachers and it doesn't justify taking time off from other commitments only to be finished by 10.30am - by which time it is too late to do anything else of use anywhere else. Sad.

Posted March 20, 2014
Ms.Ford, the principle, is one of the most caring, efficient, and her staff at Blackman Elementary follow suit, I am please with the level of education my daughters have experienced since we moved into this school system 4 years ago, I would recommend this school to anyone who cares if their child is receiving a quality education.

Posted August 06, 2013
My grandchildren attend this school. The teachers have been great and really interested in teaching my girls. They are both well read and ready for the next grade. I was an elementary teacher or 10 years and am very pleased with this school, it's teachers, and its administrators. ,

Posted October 16, 2012
Nothing but negative to say about this school.. Principal overreacts to situations. She makes decisions based on a determination to prove a point to the parents. Wants everyone to understand (as if we don't) that she is the one who is in complete control of the school. Communication is not encouraged between parents and the school. Parents do not feel welcome. Children are treated like little robots. They are not encouraged to be themselves but rather made to feel that they must conform and fit into the mold that the school has set for them. Overall, I would not recommend this school to my worst enemy.

Blackman Elementary School 0

Posted May 20, 2010
fantastic academic program good teacher/principal student relation.Good academic performance

Posted September 17, 2009

Blackman Elementary School
586 Fortress Bl, Murfreesboro, TN  37128
Last modified Blackman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blackman Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.