Scales Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 1032 students

Posted July 29, 2014

We had multiple children attend this school. When Mrs Stephens was principal, this was the best run school in the area. It dropped a bit when Mr Barch took over (Mrs Stephens was just that good). After Mr Barch left, the school has changed. Many of the best teachers have left and the administration is less parent friendly. I am glad my children were able to attend during the attend Mrs Stephens tenure as I could dramatically see changes between last year and the year before.

Posted May 8, 2014

This school is amazing i love it so much i have been her 3-6 and during these 4 years it has been amazing the teachers and staff are amazing i love all my teachers and if you are a parent thinking about sending your child there do it because they treat all the kids with kindness and have many great activities and events that will help others help run your childs imagination i am so glad i had gone to this school and i will never forget my expirience there

Posted February 19, 2014

Scales is an average school. It got much better once Don Bartch became principal, bit he has since become principal of the new Overall Creek Elementary. Some teachers are amazing, while some are horrible. It is kept extremely neat and clean and the grounds are well-maintained. The music program is excellent!

Posted October 20, 2013

My granddaughter goes to scales and she has excelled great teachers and staff . They truly care about the children

Posted August 4, 2013

I have 3 kids in this school. My oldest has been going since kindergarten and is now entering 5th grade. We have had great teachers, great kids. I miss mrs. Stephens but things still run close to the same as they did. I'm glad to give my kids a great education in a public school.

Posted May 28, 2013

My daughter just finished her first year at Scales and I just can't say enough about this school. Our location is zoned for 2 different schools. Last October we switched to Scales from the other school. It was the best decision we have ever made. When you walk into Scales, you hear the kids laughing and talking. The environment is so happy, cheerful and upbeat. The staff is friendly and helpful. They seem to know each child by name. My daughter's teacher was very involved in helping us get her settled and comfortable. I just can't wait to see what else is waiting for us in the upcoming school year.

Posted June 12, 2012

My son has attended Scales from Kindergarten through 4th grade, and is about to go into 5th grade. I have been amazed that every year we have had wonderful teachers who really care about their students' growth. The principal, Ms. Katherine Stephens is amazing...I will be sad to see her leave but I know she's left a legacy of HIGH standards and that the next principal will be just as committed to excellence. Scales is a GREAT school.

Posted November 10, 2011

Scales in the best school ever. My son has been going for a year and loves it. Everyone is very friendly.

Posted October 1, 2008

As a military family we have been in a lot of schools and Scales is at the top in my book for elementary education. In fact we are so pleased with the friendliness and dedication of the Principal and staff that we have retired here to get our youngest through grade school. Highly recommend as a school of choice. For those of you looking at private versus public, know that a top school like Scales can give your child as good an education. My two daughters went to public school, and with parent and teacher support have enrolled and graduated from top colleges, Tufts University and Case Western Reserve University. Never limit your choices but look for the best across the board - especially these days, kids need to be integrated into mullit-ethnic and cultural situations at young ages and it helps them so much down the road.

Posted September 13, 2008

Scales is the best School in Murfreesboro! It is second to none. My children have had the best elementary experience. We have attended since the opening 2005. Mrs. Stephens is the best Principal that I have ever encountered. She is friendly, attentive, and dedicated to the highest of standards in academics. Our teachers, Mrs. Maddux and Ms. Lawson, provide an outstanding challenge, are compassionate, and dedicated the their students. Children truly come first at Scales. Who could ask for anything more!

Posted August 27, 2008

Our child has been attending Scales Elementary School since it opened in 2005. The Principal is awesome!! She knows every one of the children by name. That is around 1000 students. What other school can say this? The Teachers are superb! They challenge the students. If they see that a child need to be in a higher reading level, or a higher spelling level they take it upon themselves to challange the student. We like that. All the Teachers, Office Staff, Cafe workers, people who keep the school clean, Shine employee and of course the Principal are like no others!! I would recommend this school to anyone new or old to this area.

Posted March 6, 2008

In my opinion Scales Elementary School is one of the finest school I've ever set foot inside. The principal, teachers, and staff are very dedicated and are doing a fabulous job educating our children. I ve visited the school weekly since my son began in 2007 and everyday the staff is smiling and happy to be there. Happy educators make happy students who actually enjoy attending class. My son can t wait to get to class each day and he is excited about learning new things. I love seeing my child not only learning the curriculum, but excited about it. I would recommend their school to anyone moving to the area.

Posted March 6, 2008

In my opinion Scales Elementary School is one of the finest school I've ever set foot inside. The principal, teachers, and staff are very dedicated and are doing a fabulous job educating our children. Everyday the staff is smiling and happy to be there. Happy educators make happy students who actually enjoy attending class. My son can t wait to get to class each day and he is excited about learning new things. I love seeing my child not only learning the curriculum, but excited about it. I would recommend their school to anyone moving to the area.

Posted February 15, 2008

My daughter went to Scales for kindergarten. I was greatly impressed with the overall atmosphere at Scales. The principal was fabulous! Her specific teacher was average, but the school itself was truly wonderful! Another exceptional feature of this school was the after school care program, SHINE. Ms. Parks, the director, has many years experience in this position. She does an outstanding job with this program. My child absolutely loved Scales, and SHINE. Unfortunately we had to move out of state, but if we were back in Murfreesboro, Scales would be my our top choice!

Posted January 24, 2008

I have two kids at Scales right now and I love the staff. They are friendly and understanding. My kids both love their teachers and are very happy with their friends. My girls are advancing quickly which speaks well of their teachers. They love the after school program, Shine, and have requested that I never pick them up before after school classes have ended. They have learned dance, theater, art, cooking and how to be girly girls all in after school care. I cannot speak highly enough about staff. I am planning on moving this year and my only pre-requisite is that the home be in the Scales school zone. I look forward to a long academic relationship with them as I still have one more preschooler that will be attending in a couple of years. I highly recommend it!

Posted December 2, 2007

My Daughter is a first grader and has excelled in this school. I cant wait for my preK to go next year and continue her ecucation in such a great school.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 49% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Tennessee used the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program (TCAP) Achievement Test to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading/language arts, math, science and social studies. The TCAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Tennessee. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 56% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 57% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

Writing

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2013.

Reading/Language Arts

The state average for Reading/Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 87% in 2013.

All Students66%

White94%
Economically disadvantaged89%
Students with disabilities80%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

Algebra I

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 38%N/A55%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2340 St Andrews Dr