School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Eakin Family! Having grown up in middle Tennessee all my life, I consider it a privilege and an honor to partner with the great Eakin community of parents, students, and teachers by serving as Principal of Eakin Elementary School! I am a native Nashvillian, born and raised in Music City, and I graduated from John Overton High School in 1998. After high school graduation, I went on to the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga on a Division I wrestling scholarship and completed my degree in the School of Education with a focus in Secondary Education and a specific concentration in the Social Sciences. After completing my undergraduate degree, my hometown of Nashville was calling me back, so it did not take me long to move, to begin my teaching career at Gra-Mar Middle School. At Gra-Mar, I served at-risk students in inner-city Nashville while teaching World Geography and Literature to seventh graders. Being a consummate and lifelong learner, I set out to complete a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership during my time in Metro-Nashville Public Schools. I graduated with that degree in 2006 from Trevecca Nazarene University. Upon completion of my Masters Degree, I was recruited to Williamson County Schools to assist in opening Sunset Middle School in 2006. I taught seventh grade World Geography and eighth grade U.S. History as well as Teen Leadership while at Sunset Middle. In addition to teaching and facilitating content, you could find me coaching soccer, coaching wrestling, serving on various leadership teams, and assisting with numerous community service activities during my tenure as a classroom educator. After seven years as an educator in the classroom, I was then recruited once again to assist a different Williamson County middle school when it opened its inaugural doors. I served Spring Station Middle School for four years as their Assistant Principal, from 2010-2014. During my time as a Williamson County school leader, I obtained a doctorate in Leadership and Professional Practice from Trevecca Nazarene University in the year 2013. Now, at this present time, I am humbled call myself Eakin's principal. I find myself here at Eakin to lead this community so that Each and Every Student at Eakin Elementary School has the very best education and learning experiences in the city, state, and country. When I am not assisting with the teaching and learning experience at Eakin, I like to participate in reading, watching sporting events live and on television, traveling, running marathons, serving at my local church, hanging out with my wife, Kaydee, our two children, Kyan and Tegan, and our long-haired dachshund, Edgar. Once you get to know me, it will not be long before you recognize that I bleed black and gold, and I'm an avid fan of the Vanderbilt Commodores! Even more than my beloved Commodores, I view my time with students, teachers, parents, and the overall school community to be one of utmost importance and significance. With a caring disposition and energetic and enthusiastic demeanor, I am always available for a conversation. I can be reached via email at Timothy.Drinkwine@mnps.org, or by phone at 615-298-8076.
September 03, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My daughter's teacher was so mean and never communicated in clear way. She kept sending emails saying everything is OK and by the end of the year she down graded her grade for no obvious reason. Plus I never felt welcome to be around.

As a person of color I felt I am not welcome in school. Staff at the entrance are mean most of the time. It's rare that any staff members to smile back at you or start a conversation.

Eakin has a fantastic school curriculum and I am very impressed with their after-school clubs. Chess, Mine-craft, soccer, softball, engineering! My daughter had a plethora of choices and very much enjoyed her time at the school. She's ending her kindergarten year here and we are moving in the fall, however I have no regrets for sending my girl here using the lottery scholarship. Mr. Sekeres and the car-rider team are fantastic in getting the children to their cars after school and I'm rarely in line for more than 5-10 minutes (if I get there early enough!) Her teach, Mrs. Wiedman, has been wonderful in responding to any email I have had and the opportunities for parental involvement are endless! Special shout-out to the PTO.

My daughter has blossomed while attending Eakin Elementary. The IB curriculum really empowers her, while the administration and staff make her feel loved, supported, and safe to grow and learn.

Some of the lunch ladies are super mean and a lot of the kids act up

Eakin is a wonderful school. My daughter is in kindergarten there, and she loves it and is thriving. I love seeing her so happy and excited about school, and I especially love the fact that I am able to save so much more for college by sending her to a free public school. I am very lucky to have Eakin as our neighborhood school. I would encourage everyone in the neighborhood to consider sending your kids to Eakin. I have never known such a sense of community before. It is also such a nice way to start the day by walking with your child to school in our beautiful neighborhood! .

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Many of the teachers we have had at Eakin have been pure magic - that once-in-a-lifetime teacher who you never forget. I feel so lucky to have had some many of them in our 5 years here. Kindy - Our teacher had an artistry of teaching kids to work together while at the same time helping each tiny student thrive to their ability. 1st - Our teacher taught through example how everyone makes mistakes. She taught to live out loud and learn and read and celebrate strengths. A year with her absolutely transformed my oldest. 2nd - Our teacher was insightful. She saw my youngest struggling with reading and helped us maneuver the waters of getting her the help she needed. She supported my youngest when she needed it most. 3rd - Our teacher was strong at teaching the fundamentals. She explained tricky multiplication concepts with ease and clarity. She adeptly taught vocabulary and grammar. She developed responsibility and pushed kids to learn. Both girls grew so much and got an excellent foundation for future learning. Third grade is an huge year of learning, and out teacher nailed it. Having her was a gift to both girls. 4th - Just 4 months into forth and I love our teacher. She has a joy of learning and a kindness that I adore. She really sees the kids - sees strengths and areas to improve. She nurtures them and shows them, through example, what it is to be a book lover and a seeker of knowledge. As for the other teachers - the special ed, music, PE, art and the librarians - just wow. They are all at the top of their game. They love kids and love learning. This place is incredible.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework at Eakin is right on the mark. Homework is light in the early years and builds. By 3rd grade there is a lot of homework due at the end of the week. Students learn to work to manage time, complete tasks and be responsible. There is a lot to learn in 3rd grade! Multiplication facts, for example. That has to be reinforced nightly to gain mastery. By 3rd grade, there is a lot, but it is appropriate to where they are in their growth. Forth grade takes it to the next level with homework being due daily. I love this because as kids move on to middle school they have to manage writing down homework, bringing home books, and getting things done. Forth grade moves kids to be independent. I really love that. They are ready for it and it will serve them well as they continue in their academic careers.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Absolutely. Eakin is an IB World School that focuses on the 10 IB Characteristics which include Reflective, Principled, and Caring. There is also a huge focus on RESPECT through Eakin's behavior model of "SOARing." Each morning students recite the Eakin Character Pledge - "I am and Eakin Eagle. Today I will SOAR: be safe, be on-task, act responsibly and show respect." Teachers, parents and administrators model this daily for students.

I simply cannot express in words how much the community, teachers & admin have helped my now 4th grader absolutely THRIVE over the last 5 years. She is a gifted learner who has been challenged academically, who has grown socially and who has absolutely transformed from a shy, guarded kindergartner into an amazing learner, risk-taker, and caring global citizen who I am proud to know. In her time here she has become fluent in sign-lanuage and has developed close friendships with a deaf girl who is so much different from herself. This is just how Eakin is - children finding common ground and forming deep relationships with diverse friends. It is more powerful than you can know until you are here and feel the rich tapestry of this community. In her time here she has had a spark of learning lit under her. She loves to read, craves science knowledge and shines in the independent projects she works on. As a gifted student, she is in Encore weekly, gets Genius Time to work on projects of interest plus gets 45 minutes a week in Maker Space with other high-level peers. Encore is learning about DNA and Space on an 8th grade level. At breakfast she asked about quantum physics and wants to be an astro-biologist to study life on other planets. I cannot imagine being more thrilled with the quality of academics. Eakin is just the whole package. A place where all kids can succeed and be loved. Plus, its totally FREE. Eakin is proof about how public school can work. Eakin gives me hope every day that diverse families can live, work, learn and serve together. Eakin gives me hope for the future. Honestly. I love this place.

Last modified Eakin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.