School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Greetings! I am Tim Drinkwine, the honored principal of Eakin School. We really do appreciate all of the positive and encouraging words left on this review page. We, as a faculty and staff, give our very best each day for ALL kids and for ALL families. Although. we do not do it perfectly, we are relentless in our pursuit to get it right. If your experience has been great, then please continue to give us this feedback as to why your experience has been good for you. If you have specific concerns, please never hesitate to contact me. If you feel as if you have been mistreated in any way no matter your background, please contact me. Thank you all for your tireless support and efforts so we can give ALL of our students the VERY BEST education.
November 06, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted November 06, 2016

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

My daughter's teacher was so mean and never communicated in clear way. She kept sending emails saying everything is OK and by the end of the year she down graded her grade for no obvious reason. Plus I never felt welcome to be around.

As a person of color I felt I am not welcome in school. Staff at the entrance are mean most of the time. It's rare that any staff members to smile back at you or start a conversation.

Eakin has a fantastic school curriculum and I am very impressed with their after-school clubs. Chess, Mine-craft, soccer, softball, engineering! My daughter had a plethora of choices and very much enjoyed her time at the school. She's ending her kindergarten year here and we are moving in the fall, however I have no regrets for sending my girl here using the lottery scholarship. Mr. Sekeres and the car-rider team are fantastic in getting the children to their cars after school and I'm rarely in line for more than 5-10 minutes (if I get there early enough!) Her teach, Mrs. Wiedman, has been wonderful in responding to any email I have had and the opportunities for parental involvement are endless! Special shout-out to the PTO.

My daughter has blossomed while attending Eakin Elementary. The IB curriculum really empowers her, while the administration and staff make her feel loved, supported, and safe to grow and learn.

Some of the lunch ladies are super mean and a lot of the kids act up

Eakin is a wonderful school. My daughter is in kindergarten there, and she loves it and is thriving. I love seeing her so happy and excited about school, and I especially love the fact that I am able to save so much more for college by sending her to a free public school. I am very lucky to have Eakin as our neighborhood school. I would encourage everyone in the neighborhood to consider sending your kids to Eakin. I have never known such a sense of community before. It is also such a nice way to start the day by walking with your child to school in our beautiful neighborhood! .

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Many of the teachers we have had at Eakin have been pure magic - that once-in-a-lifetime teacher who you never forget. I feel so lucky to have had some many of them in our 5 years here. Kindy - Our teacher had an artistry of teaching kids to work together while at the same time helping each tiny student thrive to their ability. 1st - Our teacher taught through example how everyone makes mistakes. She taught to live out loud and learn and read and celebrate strengths. A year with her absolutely transformed my oldest. 2nd - Our teacher was insightful. She saw my youngest struggling with reading and helped us maneuver the waters of getting her the help she needed. She supported my youngest when she needed it most. 3rd - Our teacher was strong at teaching the fundamentals. She explained tricky multiplication concepts with ease and clarity. She adeptly taught vocabulary and grammar. She developed responsibility and pushed kids to learn. Both girls grew so much and got an excellent foundation for future learning. Third grade is an huge year of learning, and out teacher nailed it. Having her was a gift to both girls. 4th - Just 4 months into forth and I love our teacher. She has a joy of learning and a kindness that I adore. She really sees the kids - sees strengths and areas to improve. She nurtures them and shows them, through example, what it is to be a book lover and a seeker of knowledge. As for the other teachers - the special ed, music, PE, art and the librarians - just wow. They are all at the top of their game. They love kids and love learning. This place is incredible.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework at Eakin is right on the mark. Homework is light in the early years and builds. By 3rd grade there is a lot of homework due at the end of the week. Students learn to work to manage time, complete tasks and be responsible. There is a lot to learn in 3rd grade! Multiplication facts, for example. That has to be reinforced nightly to gain mastery. By 3rd grade, there is a lot, but it is appropriate to where they are in their growth. Forth grade takes it to the next level with homework being due daily. I love this because as kids move on to middle school they have to manage writing down homework, bringing home books, and getting things done. Forth grade moves kids to be independent. I really love that. They are ready for it and it will serve them well as they continue in their academic careers.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Absolutely. Eakin is an IB World School that focuses on the 10 IB Characteristics which include Reflective, Principled, and Caring. There is also a huge focus on RESPECT through Eakin's behavior model of "SOARing." Each morning students recite the Eakin Character Pledge - "I am and Eakin Eagle. Today I will SOAR: be safe, be on-task, act responsibly and show respect." Teachers, parents and administrators model this daily for students.

Last modified Eakin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.