Nashville, TN
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Eakin Family! Having grown up in middle Tennessee all my life, I consider it a privilege and an honor to partner with the great Eakin community of parents, students, and teachers by serving as Principal of Eakin Elementary School! I am a native Nashvillian, born and raised in Music City, and I graduated from John Overton High School in 1998. After high school graduation, I went on to the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga on a Division I wrestling scholarship and completed my degree in the School of Education with a focus in Secondary Education and a specific concentration in the Social Sciences. After completing my undergraduate degree, my hometown of Nashville was calling me back, so it did not take me long to move, to begin my teaching career at Gra-Mar Middle School. At Gra-Mar, I served at-risk students in inner-city Nashville while teaching World Geography and Literature to seventh graders. Being a consummate and lifelong learner, I set out to complete a Masters Degree in Educational Leadership during my time in Metro-Nashville Public Schools. I graduated with that degree in 2006 from Trevecca Nazarene University. Upon completion of my Masters Degree, I was recruited to Williamson County Schools to assist in opening Sunset Middle School in 2006. I taught seventh grade World Geography and eighth grade U.S. History as well as Teen Leadership while at Sunset Middle. In addition to teaching and facilitating content, you could find me coaching soccer, coaching wrestling, serving on various leadership teams, and assisting with numerous community service activities during my tenure as a classroom educator. After seven years as an educator in the classroom, I was then recruited once again to assist a different Williamson County middle school when it opened its inaugural doors. I served Spring Station Middle School for four years as their Assistant Principal, from 2010-2014. During my time as a Williamson County school leader, I obtained a doctorate in Leadership and Professional Practice from Trevecca Nazarene University in the year 2013. Now, at this present time, I am humbled call myself Eakin's principal. I find myself here at Eakin to lead this community so that Each and Every Student at Eakin Elementary School has the very best education and learning experiences in the city, state, and country. When I am not assisting with the teaching and learning experience at Eakin, I like to participate in reading, watching sporting events live and on television, traveling, running marathons, serving at my local church, hanging out with my wife, Kaydee, our two children, Kyan and Tegan, and our long-haired dachshund, Edgar. Once you get to know me, it will not be long before you recognize that I bleed black and gold, and I'm an avid fan of the Vanderbilt Commodores! Even more than my beloved Commodores, I view my time with students, teachers, parents, and the overall school community to be one of utmost importance and significance. With a caring disposition and energetic and enthusiastic demeanor, I am always available for a conversation. I can be reached via email at Timothy.Drinkwine@mnps.org, or by phone at 615-298-8076.
September 3, 2014

Posted December 16, 2014
We are raising our children as global citizens and Eakin couldn't be a better fit. The IB program has enriched our whole family. A beautifully diverse community, strong parent support, top notch teachers addressing each and every child's needs, outstanding administrative leadership, supportive PTO with real world concerns/goals, huge variety of after school clubs, impressive Related Arts program, and the list goes on & on....come see for yourself.....Eakin gives you the world!

Posted October 12, 2014
The caliber of faculty and administration (esp. Timothy Drinkwine and Tara Loba), a 360 approach to the student, an abundantly diverse population, and a loving community make Eakin Elementary the choice for our family. We live nearby and love to bike with our kids to school. After school club opportunities are phenomenal--the best I've seen offered by a public school. The parent body is passionate, involved, and concerned for all members of the Eakin community. We have loved our first two years (2 children in attendance) at Eakin.

Posted September 26, 2014
We are so happy to be at Eakin. There are great after-school club options as well as a Scout Pack that meets here. The teachers are amazing!

Posted September 15, 2014
This is our second year at Eakin and we couldn't be happier. It is a diverse school both in its student body and in its offerings. The curriculum includes Chinese language instruction and ample time in art, music, technology, and physical education, as well as solid foundations in literacy and math. There are countless clubs ranging from chess to gardening and math to soccer. Parents actively participate, which leads to a strong sense of community. And, perhaps more than anything, the school has an amazing faculty and staff. Dr. Drinkwine has been a great leader in his short tenure; I've been particularly impressed by his ability and willingness to communicate with parents and always show enthusiasm. The teachers our son has had have been dedicated, creative, and nurturing. Eakin offers an unparalleled opportunity for children to be exposed to a variety of individuals, ideas, and experiences to cultivate a global perspective. We feel lucky that our son can attend.

Eakin Elementary School 4

Posted September 14, 2014
Eakin has been a wonderful experience for our family. The teachers are excellent and the diversity that our children have been exposed to has helped them to be more balanced and excepting of all individuals. My son was able to qualify to lottery for an academic magnet middle school and he has be excellng. I thank Eakin for helping to lay that foundation!

Posted September 09, 2014
My family has been an Eakin family for the past 5 yrs. We have had an amazing experience and are so glad that we chose to send our children to our neighborhood school. The teachers are wonderful and supportive of the children and of each other. Class sizes are small enough that teachers really know their students and their strengths and weaknesses. The administration and PTO work to connect the teachers and the parents and foster a sense community. Eakin has a very diverse student body, which we love. Every day I walk my kids to class. Today I heard a father specking French to his child. I watched my son hug his teacher good morning. I saw children greeting their Chinese teacher in the hall. I walked my daughter down to her kindergarten class from last year, so she could see the new smart board. I saw a mother offer to come in and help a teacher with workbooks. Eakin truly "gives students the world."

Posted September 09, 2014
We love Eakin Elementary. My son is in third grade and is thriving. The teachers are excellent and we love the new principal Dr. Drinkwine. A terrific experience since day one!

Posted September 08, 2014
2014-2015 PTO president is knowledgeable and funny. She makes volunteering for the school a fun event. It's truly a pleasure to work with passionate parents who go over and beyond the call of duty to ensure Eakin is THE BEST school in Nashville. Dr. Drinkwine (principal) is pretty awesome as well, bringing technology to inform, engage and empower staff, students and parents. I love seeing all the tweets and facebook posts about all the amazing things going on at Eakin. It takes a village to raise kids and our village is OUTSTANDING. Happy Parent!

Posted August 21, 2014
My son is in third grade at Eakin, having attended since kindergarten, and I cannot speak highly enough of the teachers, the PTO and the community at Eakin. When I learned that this year our school has families representing over **30** different countries, speaking over 11 different languages, I felt so grateful. I love that my child gets to learn not only from top-notch teachers, many with advanced degrees and specializations, but also from kids of so many different backgrounds. Every teacher we've had (four now) has been 100% open to communicating about our son's needs, and open to working with us on helping provide the best environment for him not only to succeed, but to thrive. I am thankful to be at Eakin and we are thrilled with our new principal. We're looking forward to another great year. Go Eagles!

Posted August 21, 2014
My experience as an Eakin father over the past few years has been tremendous. From my son's kindergarten class with 8 languages to the well attended school functions, I appreciate the international and engaged nature of the school. I have always felt heard as a parent and despite any gripes I may have about district level mandated testing, I believe my son's teachers have done the very best within the structure. A true neighborhood school!

Eakin Elementary School
2500 Fairfax Ave., Nashville, TN  37212
Last modified Eakin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eakin Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top