Hillwood Comp High School

Public | 9-12 | 1200 students

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted May 23, 2014

One has graduated (with honors) and another child is currently enrolled at Hillwood. It is full of excellent teachers and administration. They will go the extra mile for you. They have prepared my children for the real world. I wish more parents were involved with the PTA. It is the only thing lacking at Hillwood.

Posted May 5, 2014

I have been a teacher at Hillwood since 2010 and I couldn't ask for a better school to work at or a better group of students to teach. Since 2010 Hillwood has made major progress with end of course test scores, ACT scores, and has the highest graduation of any non-magnet MNPS school. Hillwood also offers three nationally recognized "Model Career Academies" and 17+ Advanced Placment courses. I would send my own kids to Hillwood!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 17, 2014

I am proud to say that my daughters attend Hillwood. Since leaving Nashville School of Arfs their grades have skyrocketed!!! Thanks Hillwood!!

Posted December 28, 2012

This school is the worst school I have ever been to! I have switched schools three times and none of the were as horrible as Hill wood. The kids call their own school Hill weed instead, which tells you what is going on in there. I am now attending an international school which is requiring me to study pre-calculus. I am behind in math because I was not taught well in Algebra 2, which deals with pre-calculus in some ways. I recommend to any students that are in this school and want to prepare for a university to get out while you still have time; unless if you are past the 10th grade. You will regret this school for the rest of your life if you want to attend a decent university. Oh and there are lots of gang members in the school. If you want to know who they are, all you have to do is just attend the school for about two years. They brag about themselves being in gangs apparently.

Posted October 5, 2012

My daughter is about to graduate in 2013 and has attended Hillwood all four years. Despite many negative comments and rumors we had heard prior to her enrolling as a freshman there, we chose to send her there because we felt strongly about the need to attend public schools. We were extremely pleased and surprised to discover that the school has been and is still continuing to improve it's acadamic stature among metro's finest schools under the leadership of Dr. Chauncey and many of the great teachers there. Hillwood may look like and old has-been great school in the middle of white suburbia, but it is definitley enjoying a rennaisance scholastically with a brand new state of the art library, excellent teachers who really care about the kids graduating and a comprehensive academy of five schools of focus for young adults to choose from to prepare them for college or immediate employment. Like many longtime Bellevue residents and avid supporters of Harpeth Valley and Bellevue schools, we are glad we chose Hillwood for our daughter and she is too. She has really enjoyed her four years there.

Posted September 8, 2012

I've been attending Hillwood High School since freshman year. I'm currently a junior and my experience at Hillwood have been wonderful! The teachers, as well as the students, are very friendly and helpful. Some teachers may be strict but it is your education that they are working on. I'm looking forward to the rest of this year, especially my senior year. I have friends from other high schools that wish they could attend Hillwood, because of the negative environment exposed. You never know how good or bad a school is unless you have a personal experience, and this is mine:Hillwood High School has a very positive environment and no matter how much the students say they hate school, they admit that Hillwood is a lot more better than most other schools. -Class of 2014

Posted July 12, 2012

I'm an incoming junior at Hillwood, I've been at Hillwood since my freshman year. Like all schools there are good days, and bad days, some teachers you like, and some teachers you don't like. I have to say out of all schools I have been to Hillwood is the best. With a grant all Freshman and students in the Art/AV academy were issued free laptops. The people are very nice, and all those stereo types like Hillwood having a lot of gangs and drugs is just not true. If I had a child I would enroll them at hillwood!

Posted August 23, 2011

NCLB Status by School School Name Hillwood Comp High School Met AYP2011 No Prior Status (2010-2011) Target New Status (2011-2012) Target HS ACT Summary/Percent of Class of 2010 scoring 21+ on ACT in Metro Schools. Hillwood 21% Hillwood only offers 3 of 6 Academies available The Academy of Art, Design & Communication The Academy of Business & Hospitality The Academy of Health Sciences

Posted May 23, 2011

Highest graduation rate in Nashville (next to Hume Fogg) Highest AYP in Nashville, Best Faculty in Nashville and the BEst Principal by far!

Posted May 23, 2011

I am in AP English and Science and I can tell you that is a lie about combining AP/Honors classes with the general Populatio! I am a junior and have yet to see gang or drug activity. This is the best HS in Metro!

Posted May 16, 2011

I am a 9th grader this year and I can most definitely say Hillwood has been an eye-opening experience, in a good way. I'm taking a 12th grade level AP class as a freshman and find it extremely challenging, very engaging, and I can easily say it is my favorite class. The current head principal has made so many improvements to this school including Hillwoods overall reputation. I'm honored to be a student here. 9 out of 10 of my teachers are young and committed to their classroom and students and are what make Hillwood an amazing school. Basically, the teachers are incredible. Its many up sides are over looked because of the things that can happen at any school; drugs and violence. I have NEVER felt in harms way at this school and as long as you stay with the right crowds, other peoples bad choices will not affect you. I hope I have the chance of staying here all through high school.

Posted December 1, 2010

Hillwood is one of the worst public schools in the area with drugs, gangs, incompetent staff, and plenty of school bureaucracy. Lets just hope that the charter schools, which have been successful in other cities, will gain more support and funding.

Posted July 25, 2010

My son is goin this school. he is freshman. he has no problem with anything. i would highly recommend you this school

Posted March 25, 2010

The faculty of this school is lazy at best, overbearing at worst, and there doesn't seem to be anyone in between who is actually interested in *reaching* the kids. I have a daughter in honors English who never has homework in that class or any other. As a parent, I'm disappointed in the administration, and shocked and offended at my own personal treatment by certain members of staff, which I find absolutely unacceptable. I have never in my life been treated with such disregard and disrespect. Administration subscribing to the 'old Southern guard' need to be fired to make way for advisors and staff that actually want to understand, nurture and guide the students (and respect the parents!). As for environment - no money to properly support athletic/extracurricular programs, and roaches in the classrooms. That does not say 'we care about you' to students, now, does it?

Posted October 3, 2009

This school is great! it has anything you'd ever want a school to have. Go Toppers!

Posted December 10, 2008

I am a freshman here at hillwood high and i must say that hillwood is just not a very nice school, my first year herre and all though all my sisters and brothers attended. It has never had a good reveiew. Its the most disgusting school and im tired of all the things they say they are going to do but they dont. Its cruel and mean! 12-10-08! freshman 2012

Posted August 1, 2008

O attended hhs for three years and I think it's a terrible school. As an AP student I expected that my AP classes would be just for AP/IB students but do to over crowding many of my AP classes had students in them that belonged in normal and some even slow learner classes. Many of the teachers are tired and don't seem to care very much about the students. I value my education a great deal but I didn't feel that the staff and administration valued my education. They need students for funding and they don't care about the individual student we all just look like dollar signs to principal Karl Lang. Two of they most loved and best staff members (Brain Mast/Mrs. Moore) were moved to another school. The only good thng I have to say about Hillwood is that Mrs. Kym Dukes, one of the guidance counselors, is amazing.

Posted August 25, 2007

I have had 1 son graduate, I son in his third year...and another who needs special education for dyslexia, and there is no way he'll ever attend this school. My middle son brought home A's in his English course as a Junior, while never bringing home any homework, or EVER writing a paper of any significance. My son will have the shock of his life when he enters college English class. Thanks to bussing, the school has discipline problems. The counselors have been virtually incompetent, never 'guiding' the kids in their classes or holding the college bound kids accountable. The school is treading water and is the poorest excuse for education I've ever seen. I'm college educated and came from one of the poorest schools in the state. Metro should be able to do better!!

Posted June 20, 2007

Hillwood is a good school with some bad teachers who just do not care. The 11th grade principal is do disrespectful to the parents of the students. Thank goodness for Mr. Lang. He is really great. I would recommend this high school to anyone.

Posted May 30, 2007

My son was a Sophomore this year and had no problems out of the ordinary. He enjoyed the school curriculum and was active in sports which were well attended and supported by Mr. Lang the principal. I have a second son that will attend next year as a Freshman as well as my older son as a Junior so I would have no problem recommending this school to anyone on the west side of Nashville.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

291 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

305 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

294 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• 7:05 am
School end time
  • 2:05 am
  • Dr. Steve Chauncy

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options