Hume - Fogg High Academic Magnet

Public | 9-12

Posted January 18, 2006

This is my sons first year at hume fogg and we love the school. He looks forward to going to school every day. The Teachers are amazing. They love what they do. I believe my son will be better prepared for college because he went there. The academic program is outstanding. the diverse student body make everyone feel welcome. the extracurricular clubs are numerous and students are encouraged to take a leadership rule in creating new clubs. The school instills in their students a strong sense of community service amongst the students and goes out of their way to introduce to their students to opportunities to volunteer in the nashville area.

Posted June 24, 2005

My son graduated from Hume Fogg in 2000 and went on to one of the most rigorous and selective schools in America. He was not even a 'top tier' student at HFA but still managed this due to the nature of the program offered. Now my daughter is entering her senior year there and is aspiring to the same type of college experience. While it is hard to know whether she will experience the same success we have every reason to believe that she will. This is the most wonderful,unique school! One of the other raters questioned whether the quality of the program had declined in recent years. I can assure you it has not. Luck plays a large part in it whether you get in because of the lottery. If your child attends, they will be challenged academically and will make friends to last a lifetime, both student and faculty.

Posted January 30, 2005

Hume Fogg is an amazing school, and this school is where you can definetely tell yourself that grades aren't everything. To see my child come home and see what she has learned is a gift to my heart, and I am blessed to get that gift every single day because of this school.

Posted September 22, 2004

I am in love with Hume Fogg. Although it is only my second year, I feel as if it is my home. My closest family is at school, and my life depends on the community of the school. The teachers excel in what they do, whether it's teaching a whole new language or even teaching the basics of the violin. Hume Fogg has taught me to be a leader. 'Don't follow me, get in front of me and be a leader, not a follower,' Mr. Ward said to me today as I was heading up the stairs. I truly am a leader here at Hume Fogg. I come to tears just imagining the all-nighters I pulled and countless hours of AP essays I have to do. Recalling the harsh B's and C's on exams, but, you see, grades aren't everything...it's what you learn. And Hume Fogg is JUST the place.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 14, 2004

My daughter is a sophomore this year at Hume Fogg and I can not say enough great things about the school,the teachers, and the other students. I would recommend this school to anyone that wants to have an accelerated chance to prepare for college and to get an excellent learnig experience.

Posted January 30, 2004

My daughter graduated in 2003 and is now at a highly demanding college. She is handling it well due to the great education at Hume-Fogg. Very diverse and talented student body, dedicated teachers, dynamic administrators. She transferred to Hume-Fogg from MLK, which is also a great school, but Hume-Fogg was better suited to her. My son is now a sophomore at Hume-Fogg and having a much different but equally good educational experience. I teach at Vanderbilt University and always enjoy having both Hume-Fogg and MLK students in my classes.

Posted September 9, 2003

Hume-Fogg is a great school. I consider it to be a college prep school. It challenges every student that walks into the door. I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 9, 2003

It's been a while, but my son, John Jacob, graduated in 1998. I can definitely say at that time, the kids were the most diverse and well rounded individuals. However since then there has been much speculation that the school has been on a decline due to the students that now fill its halls. It might be too easy to get into nowadays. Whereas the cross town rival MLK has even been said to have won the battle of midtown magnet schools and I can't really disagree.

Posted August 26, 2003

My daughter, who is a senior this year, has had a wonderful experience at Hume-Fogg. The teachers and the leadership are second to none. The courses are rigorous which will prepare her for college. Because of leadership provided by the guidance office, Hume-Fogg has an exceptional reputation with college admission counselors who already know the quality of students that the school graduates. My daughter will be more than prepared to make her mark on the world.

Posted July 8, 2003

Both my daughters graduated from Humes Fogg and they have had no trouble going on with the rest of their life in a very productive way. While I cannot give Humes Fogg all the credit, I do believe they they supported the academic standards that my wife and I set for our girls in our home.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Photography
Music
  • Choir / Chorus
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

700 Broadway