Hume - Fogg High Academic Magnet

Public | 9-12

Posted March 29, 2013

Welcome to Hume-Fogg High School- where the pressure to succeed is high and grades define your intelligence. The academic environment is centered on one type of student- the kind of student that is able to learn at a rapid pace but still keeps his or her sanity. I'm not exaggerating one bit; this school provides every student with a rigorous college prep curriculum. I'm a junior at this school, and honestly my time here has been less than ideal. Despite my setbacks, however, I believe that any student can succeed at HFA if he or she is motivated and works hard. The opportunities here are tremendous, and at the end of the day I am grateful to one day be able to call this school my alma mater.

Posted April 30, 2005

As 2010 graduate of Hume-Fogg, I can say first hand that it is a great school, and I am a proud alum. I attend a top 20 university, and although it can be a bit difficult, Hume-Fogg has prepared me with the knowledge, study skills, note taking, and other skills that my fellow peers here lack. You may even here some alums say college is easier than Hume-Fogg. In addition to wonderful academics, Hume-Fogg's extracurriculars are top notch as well. The theater, band, visual art, and choral department are notorious around the country for their achievements. A large portion of student are involved in sports as well as many other extracurricular activities. The teachers are some of the best in the state, I have grown close to many and have befriended them outside of the classroom. If you have the opportunity to attend Hume-Fogg do so, it's wonderful, however, it is not for all. It is academically challenging, but if willing to do the work, it is definitely worth it. It was honestly the best four years of my life to date.

Posted January 29, 2011

HFA is an loutstanding school for the academically PREPARED student. It is an Optional, College Prep school and is NOT a school for the average student by design. The curriculum is rigorous, but the kids still had lots of fun. As an active member of the PTO, I chaperoned many dances, attended band performances and competitions, etc. My son graduated from HFA in 2002, he aced the Math SAT and was highly recruited by top knotch universities. He is an engineer and has never had any difficulty finding employment. If you have a child who has shown that he/she can academically perform at a high level, you will not find a better school (public or private).

Posted January 17, 2011

This school is absolutely incredible. I'm a senior at Hume Fogg, and I love my teachers. I have many friends that graduated last year, and most of them tell me that college is a breeze compared to Hume Fogg. The teachers are amazing and love their areas. They are so easy to talk to, and it is not uncommon for them to give out their phone numbers for us to call them with any issues. If you have the choice to come here or send your child here, please do so with no regrets. It is definitely worth it.

Posted November 15, 2010

I am currently a sophomore enrolled here, and it can be a bit overwhelming at times. But, It is a great school with some awesome teachers and a wide range of subjects. I would not trade it for ANY other school. And to make it better the building is a million years old with a sick basement.(sick in a good way)

Posted November 5, 2010

Hume-Fogg is a college preparatory school, and its curriculum is mirrored as the recommended curriculum on selective college web sites:4 years of math, 4 years of science, 4 years of language (hopefully the same one); 4 years of English lit/composition, and history/government. H-F also requires a semester of economics. While this leaves room for fewer electives, a college preparatory curriculum is designed to give students a solid foundation tn many disciplines, so they're ready to specialize once they start college. H-F also offers a huge advantage many public schools are sadly lacking: Students are there because they want to learn, and teachers are there because they want to teach intellectually engaged, capable students. H-F is a United Nations of good students. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a solid college preparatory education.

Posted September 19, 2010

I spent my entire school career in the Metro Public school system in Nashville, and this school is a God send to the county. The teachers and curriculum challenged me in a way that no other school was able to achieve. Hume Fogg prepared me so much for college that most of my freshman classes were easier than those I took in high school.

Posted August 14, 2010

I'm an alumni of Hume Fogg Academic Magnet High School. Hume Fogg has excellent teachers, guidance counselors, and principal/vice principal. The enriching environment and classes are very conducive for learning and college preparation. As a college freshman, I felt much better prepared (not only academically, but also mentally and emotionally) than did most of my classmates.

Posted February 23, 2010

Hume Fogg was a big help for college and I made life long friends. The teachers are all fully dedicated!

Posted July 3, 2009

I didn't want to come to this school in the first place, but I am so glad that I did. The teachers are super amazing because they actually teach, and they actually know what they're teaching. They make it fun and easy to learn/relate to. The people here are very respectful, and I feel more secure here. I admit that this school is pretty tough and that sometimes people feel like it's not fair. Well, it is fair because it has almost everything to prepare students for college and reality. If people bail out of this school, that's their choice. If they can't take the heat from Hume-Fogg, then there's probably some place that will better suit them. However, the difficulty at Hume-Fogg is like another way to challenge a student. I think it's best to face it than take the shortcut out.

Posted May 19, 2009

I am a freshmen at HFA this year and I absolutely love it! It is definitely the best school I have ever been too, and I am sad about leaving this summer. I have made great friends and had great experiences. It not only has great academics, but has awesome sports and amazing talents in singing and acting. In short: best school ever.

Posted August 4, 2008

I have just graduated from HFA this past spring of 2008. I was just looking up for a decent middle/elementary school for my young sisters to attend as I stumbled upon this site. As I have realized, through both personal experience and others' reviews, that most regular public middle schools in Davidson lack the academic rigor and care for its students, which worries me tremendously. Now, as I look back upon my fours years in this marvelous institution, I am truly grateful for everything it has provided for me - its caring faculty, its brilliant, talented, and diverse student body...this is a place where one can call HOME.

Posted July 22, 2008

You can't get any better than this. Teachers TEACH at this school, don't just grade it to make him/her look good. God Bless everybody here.

Posted May 10, 2008

I'm currently a sophomore at Hume-Fogg and I love it, but it's not perfect (no high school is perfect, of course) as people might think it is. It has a great environment compared to other schools and the academics are challenging, but rewarding. I have a lot of friends and I just know that I'll be prepared for college. However, to all the parents, if your child doesn't wanna go to HFA or wants to drop out and go to his/her zone-school, then let him/her because he/she will cause problems for the school and will definitely not do well.

Posted May 4, 2008

Hume-Fogg has a great reputation for academics and while this is mainly deserved, Hume-Fogg falls short on several other things. First, the curriculum is very structured leaving little room for any real electives. For the studnet that does not thrive under these conditions, there is little to no support. HFA would prefer those students to leave the school even if it is in the middle of their senior year. Hume-Fogg fosters a very elitist atmosphere and does not want to acknowledge it has faults little less adress those faults. If I had another chance, I'm not sure I would have sent my children there.

Posted March 13, 2008

I am currently a sophomore at Hume-Fogg. I must say that Hume-Fogg is not for everyone, and in fact I have been in the magnet system since middle school. I do think Hume-Fogg is an excellent school. Note that Hume-Fogg is difficult. Freshman year is a breeze and teachers still baby the students. prepared whatsoever. I am in an AP and believe me it is one of the hardest classes I have ever taken. I do realize AP classes are difficult, but the problem is that some teachers just give you the work and do not do anything but teach from the book. And the person speaking on math is completely right. I am a 3.5 student, but my average has gone downNow, in my second year I have felt I have not been because of this. I think Hume-Fogg opens doors, but be prepared to have difficulty with the knobs.

Posted March 6, 2008

Hume-Fogg, while a strong school, is hardly the 'be-all-and-end-all' of academic excellence it likes to present itself as. It's a good school for a certain 'type' of student: the type who equates grades with intelligence and for whom academics is life. It favors a classical education over creativity, and if you don't fit the mold you won't likely enjoy your time there. Or, your time there won't be very long, as the school will often 'strongly encourage' students to go elsewhere, even up to the second semester of senior year. The school also takes a very 'figure it out yourself' approach to math, with most math classes featuring the teacher writing the material on the board and the students copying it down. It's also highly elitist, not simply in academics but in the attitude as a whole: 'We're better than you,' is the general sense. This is not to say that it is a bad school per se, and you do get opportunies there that are hard to find elsewhere (although not impossible), but I would suggest thinking long and hard about whether or not it is the kind of atmosphere where you want to spend four years.

Posted December 12, 2007

it pretty awesome here. the learning experience has been great so far! ;)

Posted October 15, 2007

Both my sons were fortunate to be accepted at Hume-Fogg. Neither wanted to attend; I made them. After a few short weeks, they realized the prestige and glamour of attending Hume-Fogg. Their circle of friends expanded. They were exposed to classrooms, teachers, and students who thrived on excellence where achievement was lauded rather than castigated by fellow students. They were more than prepared for their first year of college and received credit for some of their classes. I am a proud mom who relished the other parents, their involvement and the attention to academics found at Hume-Fogg. Even the physical 'old' school was endearing to me. My sons, graduates of the University of Tennessee and one, a banker and the other, an Army officer, are proud to say they are alumni of Hume-Fogg.

Posted July 20, 2006

I graduated from Hume Fogg in 2005, after finishing my first year at the university level, a rigorous university at that, I have been made fully aware of the preparation Hume Fogg provided me with. Bluntly, my first year was a breeze, especially in comparison to my scholastic schedule at Hume Fogg. I was even encouraged by my general studies english teacher to
—Submitted by a former student

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 65% in 2013.

2011

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 42% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 62% in 2013.

English I

The state average for English I was 68% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

2011

English III

The state average for English III was 40% in 2013.

U.S. History

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A55%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Photography
Music
  • Choir / Chorus
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

700 Broadway