John Overton Comp High School 2

Posted November 11, 2014
I've gone here since freshman year, only had an issue with a couple teachers and one principal. Overall the staff do not bother me. It's the students. They are rude, disrespectful, and down right mean for no reason. I hate going here. The adults really do nothing about the drama because they honestly do not care. the students need to learn to watch their mouth. With how the children are here, its a dangerous school.

Posted August 28, 2013
I love John Overton. My child is a Senior there this year. We have had our share of troubles but he is a typical teenager. I think the teachers and principals punish the kids for the "crime" but do not over do it. The teachers look for new ways to communicate with the kids and use social media to connect with them, remind them of homework, etc. The Executive Principal truly cares about the kids and it shows. Parent involvement could be better but has grown more and more over the years. Like all schools, Overton is what you make of it. If you are involved with your children and their school I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Overton. The academies prepare kids for the real world and offer lots of AP courses for advanced students. Overton requires more credits to graduate than the average high school in TN, meaning more classes, more learning. The counselors work with kids on an individual basis and structure classes specific to their interests which continues to keep our kids engaged in learning.

Posted June 18, 2013
This school year I was a freshman at Overton. The first day I walked in to the school I noticed how old and run-down it was and how crowded it was. It's ridiculous. You can barely get to class on time. Overton is a very diverse school, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But the amount of diversity gets to be a problem regarding fights. There are fights all the time. I almost got hit walking in the hall to class. I didn't feel safe in my own school. Overall, students don't care about the actual "school" part of school. The curriculum here is way too easy. Even my honors' classes weren't a challenge. I couldn't tell a difference between my standard and honors' classes. Also, I've had problems with the teachers here, which has never happened to me; I'm generally a good student. One teacher accused me of plagiarism in front of the whole class for no legitimate reason and another told me she didn't want me in her class next year because I wasn't "enthusiastic enough" and I "didn't care at all" about the class which was not true. Because all of this, my mom said she's not letting me go here next year. I can't blame her. I wouldn't want my child going here either. This school is a joke.

Posted May 16, 2013
Horrible school!!! If you can move, do it but don't put your child in this school.

Posted May 07, 2013
johs is a terrible school. They do NOT take bullying seriously. I had a child that told on a student about bullying and nothing was done & enabled the bully even more. They do not punish fairly. They don't care about the students. They don't discuss college things for seniors. They are terrible faculty!!!

John Overton Comp High School 3

Posted November 11, 2012
What can I say about John Overton High School.... It's definitely not like what it was back in the 1990's when the school was considered as a model school for Metro Public Schools. At the time, the school had an excellent sports program and of coarse, the famous Overton Marching Band that had won many state championships.The PTO did everything they could to support the school therefore when funding was down, the parents had chipped in to help their children's school.(Not like they needed much funding back then). Therefore, teachers were determined to educate the students for college preparation and for their future work. Nowadays, John Overton H.S is a very diverse setting with students from all over the world and from all walks of life. What used to be a Caucasian dominated school is now one of many races etc. With the changing of demographics, the once strong PTO shifted to minimal PTO involvement and with that, the school required Title 1 funding. With the diversity building , the atmosphere at Overton began to change and school fights began to happen more and more frequently. The teachers then had to deal with that type of behavior which caused many of them to give up..

Posted August 13, 2012
I do not like any of the public schools that are in Davidson County the teachers do not want to be there to teach. Some teachers do care but they are the minority in the schools for the most part public schools do not challenge children. The classroom ratios are to many children to one teacher therefore learning is diminished. Discipline was taken out of the school and the children do what they want with little or no punishment for their actions. Teachers are afraid of some students and no respect is had between the teacher and students.Principles and teachers will tell the parents one thing and do another.

Posted June 12, 2011
This school continues to withhold my report card for unknown reasons.It is also very crowded.

Posted April 14, 2011
I have a Junior that attends Overton. We love the school. She has been challenged academically and some of the most amazing Honors and AP teachers. Besides teaching her just the academics, they teach her other life lessons as well. I appreicate the communication from Dr. Pelham. My daughter is in the band so I am at the school quite frequently. I must say I believe that I have seen him about 95% of the times that I have been there. He speaks to me every time he sees me in the halls. The guidance counselors have been very helpful and have worked with us personally on my daughter's schedule and her goals for getting into college. The opportunities for a great education are available at Overton just like any other school. The students must also take some of the responsibility for making the most of that opportunity as well.

Posted July 15, 2009
Overton is a good academic school.

John Overton Comp High School
4820 Franklin Rd, Nashville, TN  37220
Last modified John Overton Comp High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Overton Comp High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top