Bad
Good

My son is a sophomore at Overton and is in the Marching Band and taking Cambridge classes as well as regular classes. This is his second year at Overton and we have been pleasantly pleased due to our hard working principal, staff and teachers who bend over backwards to make this school great and the students successful! Although the school is very big, there are many activities, after school clubs and events that can connect each and every kid and make them feel a part of something. I am a part of the PTO and have met many wonderful parents as well. The school is in the middle of a major renovation and it is exciting to see the new rooms, decor and the positive changes happening this year. I am thrilled that my son has been able to attend neighborhood schools since he started Granbery in kindergarten, attended Oliver for middle and will graduate with many friends he has known since he was 5 years old from John Overton in 2019!

This is a great school. This year this school have so many program to get you ready for college. The teachers help you a lot with the lesson you need help with.

A great environment for children to learn. The teachers are very responsible and good at what they do

Great school, great preparation for college, and great teachers. I love John Overton High School..Go BOB CAT!!

I've gone here since freshman year, only had an issue with a couple teachers and one principal. Overall the staff do not bother me. It's the students. They are rude, disrespectful, and down right mean for no reason. I hate going here. The adults really do nothing about the drama because they honestly do not care. the students need to learn to watch their mouth. With how the children are here, its a dangerous school.

I love John Overton. My child is a Senior there this year. We have had our share of troubles but he is a typical teenager. I think the teachers and principals punish the kids for the "crime" but do not over do it. The teachers look for new ways to communicate with the kids and use social media to connect with them, remind them of homework, etc. The Executive Principal truly cares about the kids and it shows. Parent involvement could be better but has grown more and more over the years. Like all schools, Overton is what you make of it. If you are involved with your children and their school I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Overton. The academies prepare kids for the real world and offer lots of AP courses for advanced students. Overton requires more credits to graduate than the average high school in TN, meaning more classes, more learning. The counselors work with kids on an individual basis and structure classes specific to their interests which continues to keep our kids engaged in learning.

This school year I was a freshman at Overton. The first day I walked in to the school I noticed how old and run-down it was and how crowded it was. It's ridiculous. You can barely get to class on time. Overton is a very diverse school, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But the amount of diversity gets to be a problem regarding fights. There are fights all the time. I almost got hit walking in the hall to class. I didn't feel safe in my own school. Overall, students don't care about the actual "school" part of school. The curriculum here is way too easy. Even my honors' classes weren't a challenge. I couldn't tell a difference between my standard and honors' classes. Also, I've had problems with the teachers here, which has never happened to me; I'm generally a good student. One teacher accused me of plagiarism in front of the whole class for no legitimate reason and another told me she didn't want me in her class next year because I wasn't "enthusiastic enough" and I "didn't care at all" about the class which was not true. Because all of this, my mom said she's not letting me go here next year. I can't blame her. I wouldn't want my child going here either. This school is a joke.

Horrible school!!! If you can move, do it but don't put your child in this school.

johs is a terrible school. They do NOT take bullying seriously. I had a child that told on a student about bullying and nothing was done & enabled the bully even more. They do not punish fairly. They don't care about the students. They don't discuss college things for seniors. They are terrible faculty!!!

What can I say about John Overton High School.... It's definitely not like what it was back in the 1990's when the school was considered as a model school for Metro Public Schools. At the time, the school had an excellent sports program and of coarse, the famous Overton Marching Band that had won many state championships.The PTO did everything they could to support the school therefore when funding was down, the parents had chipped in to help their children's school.(Not like they needed much funding back then). Therefore, teachers were determined to educate the students for college preparation and for their future work. Nowadays, John Overton H.S is a very diverse setting with students from all over the world and from all walks of life. What used to be a Caucasian dominated school is now one of many races etc. With the changing of demographics, the once strong PTO shifted to minimal PTO involvement and with that, the school required Title 1 funding. With the diversity building , the atmosphere at Overton began to change and school fights began to happen more and more frequently. The teachers then had to deal with that type of behavior which caused many of them to give up..

Last modified John Overton Comp High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.