Nashville, TN

Posted August 19, 2015
As a parent of two children attending West End, I can say that I am incredibly happy with the experience. I can't imagine there are many schools with a more engaged group of teachers and administrators. If you are looking for a neighborhood school but are not willing to compromise on your child's enrichment, you cannot do better than West End.

Posted April 08, 2015
West End epitomizes the neighborhood school. The school has an engaged staff who loves and challenges our kids, a historic setting in one of Nashville's most beautiful school buildings, an tireless PTSO, and an Alumni organization (yes you heard me right, and Alumni organization for a middle school) who helps out constantly. Every time I visit the school, it feels welcoming and there truly is a tangible sense of community among the students, teachers, staff, and administration. If you are thinking of West End, you owe it to yourself, and your student to take a tour.

Posted April 07, 2015
West End Middle is a fantastic place. A small, intimate, community school. The academic rigor is to be commended. WEMS offers advanced high school curriculum beginning in the 7th grade to prepare them for the rigorous academic environment at Hillsboro High School. I have 2 children at WEMS, one in 7th and one in 5th. Both of my children are in the gifted program and they are both challenged academically. They both perform well on standardized testing (not that I put any stock in the significance of that, but I realize the importance of that statistic to many). The faculty is engaged with all students and my children have both had some truly remarkable educators. Dr. Hammond is the Principal and he is world class. We have a vibrant extracurricular environment, including band, art, Glee Club, Drama club, football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, and wrestling. 5th and 6th graders have the opportunity to participate in the Tremont Institute of the Smokies fall trip. A week away including a science enrichment curriculum, and 7th and 8th graders go to Washington, D.C. in the Spring. I will always treasure our experience at WEMS and look forward to great times at HHS!

Posted January 22, 2015
As a parent who is also a teacher, I was skeptical about West End when my child began the school year as a fifth grader in 2014. I must say that I am extremely impressed! The school has done a great job meeting the needs of my gifted student. My child is also in class with a pair of students who work as a team because one is bilingual in Japanese and English, and the other can understand and write English, but cannot pronounce it correctly, so the other student interprets. The school's unique approach to discipline focuses on positive reinforcement, as good behavior is rewarded with Birdie Bucks that can be redeemed for special privileges or to make up for a fault, such as late homework. This is the first public school my child has attended, and I believe that Dr. Hammond and his team are doing an amazing job. I would highly recommend West End.

West End Middle School 4

Posted November 22, 2014
Hello. I'm in the eighth grade and have been attending this school for four years. There are several clubs and extracurricular activities. There's a robotics club (that I participated in). There is track, football, volleyball, etc.(and many more). The school has exceptional teachers. For the eighth grade they provide three high school credit classes. There is Spanish I. The teacher for Spanish I (currently Coach Vaughn) does a very good job in preparing the students for high school. Algebra I and Phys. Science are the other challenging AP classes. The band program and teacher, Ms. Julie Joly is amazing. She is very professional, and compared to every school I've seen, she's always been the best. However, if you participate in the band program, you can't go to related arts periods such as art on a regular basis. I would highly recommend this school though. I have made lots of friends here, although I started out very shy. So, are you ready to make memories at WEMS?

West End Middle School 4

Posted November 11, 2014
Hi I am a student at West End Middle School and have been attending the school since 2010. I am now in the 8th grade there and loving it. West End has great teachers and students there. The students can be a little harsh there but once you get to know everyone there you find yourself in a welcoming and caring environment. The teachers there are amazing, they help you if you need help or don't understand a lesson that you don't understand but the catch is that you have to go and tell them that need help. It is more of a practice for high school. They are not going to hold your hand and babysit you. You are I independent but they will not let you all the way off the leash. The only thing that I believe this school needs to improve on is the lunch food, but that is not a reason to not come to this school. I love this school and wish you and anyone else the best and good luck if you choose this school!

Posted September 21, 2014
I used to go to West End before I moved to a different state and I did not appreciate how good of a school it was. It may not be considered the best school achedemically, but the environment is friendly and I felt no discrimination or barriers between people. I was surprised at how nicely people treated the special needs kids and how much a small school body puts forth efforts to help its community. The school building itself if beautiful and the teachers there are amazing, influential people. I truly wish I still attended this school.

Posted July 22, 2014
West is Best! This is the school motto, and I've found that it truly is the best school for my two kids. While the large, historic building often gives the impression it is a large school, the student population is quite small at around 450 students grades 5-8, which gives the school an intimate feeling. The teachers and administration really get to know and care about the progress of each student academically and socially. The school has a warm and welcoming feeling for students and parents. In addition to academics, students are offered many opportunities for before and after school enrichment, including art, music, technology and arts choices. The band is particularly awesome.

Posted October 01, 2011
West End IB World School is a wonderful middle school. The administration and teachers are incredibly engaged, and encourage parental input and participation. The small size of the student population makes the school a tight-knit community, and the IB curriculum helps build character and academic curiosity in the world around us.

West End Middle School 3

Posted May 21, 2010
The administrative staff seem to be more concerned with self-promotion and connecting the success of the school to their personal careers than the work of faculty at large. Many of the teachers are caring, experienced professionals with a sincere drive to see the students achieve.

West End Middle School
3529 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN  37205
Last modified West End Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West End Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top