Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

There have been a couple of occasions in which we have met and worked with the Principal/Assistant Principal at Westmeade. We have found them to be extremely effective and eager to work with us, the teachers, and our student to identify healthy boundaries and develop strategies to affect changes in our student's behavior. Through experiences like these we have remained comfortable with and confident in the leadership at Westmeade.

Amount of homework: Agree

The children have homework each day of the week except Friday. The homework they do has been adequate for the purpose of repetitively exposing the children to the materials taught in the classroom. The homework policy itself has not felt cumbersome or unproductive. The materials the homework shows are being taught could be more challenging but I don't see any issues with the approach to homework itself.

With the exception of our oldest attending Gower for Kindergarten, both of our children have attended Westmeade throughout their elementary years. Presently, our oldest is in his final year (4th grade) at Westmeade and our youngest is in 2nd grade. Our oldest is leaving to attend Head Magnate school next year thanks in large part to the efforts and assistance of the staff at Westmeade. We weighed carefully which schools our children would attend. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've noticed, Tennessee is scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to national public school rankings. We understand the standardized tests these are based on are rarely as indicative as one would hope but the reality is that Tennessee has not placed the emphasis on education, specifically, early childhood development, we feel is prudent. Westmeade has proven to be a diamond in the rough in this regard. The majority of teachers we have worked with genuinely care about the children. It is obvious that all of the staff work together and each play a vital role in educating the children. On multiple occasions we have been engaged by teachers and/or administrative staff to support their efforts as we work collaboratively to more effectively educate our children. The majority of education occurs at home and school teachers, regardless of the school, will only be as effective as a child's home life prepares and equips them to be. The dedication many of the teachers at Westmeade bring to bear for the purpose of educating our children has been integral and invaluable to our children's early educational experience. Unfortunately, this is not the type of comments we consistently hear from parents at many of the other schools in our area. Through volunteering, visiting our children during the school day, attending after-school events and functions, and even simply talking to our children about how they perceive the school, it has remained obvious that the staff care deeply and are committed to providing a first-rate, well-rounded educational experience intended to prepare our children for advancement. If you are considering Westmeade, call the principal, Mr. Breese, or the Assistant Principal, Mr. Wicker, and ask them about their school. It will be evident that the environment they have created for educating the children is second to none.

Both my children have gone through Westmeade. The teachers have been wonderful to work with. My children have been challenged appropriately, being put in accelerated programs when they need it. There's a strong sense of community. Mr. Breese is very engaged and involved with the children.

Amount of homework: Agree

I personally do not like the idea of homework, but the amount they came home with was not unreasonable.

After relocating to Nashville in Dec. of 2015 from San Antonio, where we home schooled our children, we decided to enroll them into public school for the first time in their lives. Westmeade was the first school we looked at and I'm glad it was. Principal Breese was incredibly welcoming and understanding of the challenges we were going to be facing as our children changed learning environments, the staff and teachers kept us well informed on the progress our children were making and I felt that their teachers (Ms. Moore and Mrs. Lemon) genuinely cared about the success of our kids, both academically and socially. The guidance counselor (Mr. V) was very helpful in working with our children and helping them adjust to the new environment. The staff and faculty of this school has really made an impact on me and my children, we love Westmeade.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I have a child with difficulties learning some things and he has had so much one on one help and the teachers and office staff have helped me through this. Thanks you Westmeade!!!

My son is in his second year here and he and I both LOVE it. The teachers and staff are so nice and helpful. I feel so comfortable everyday knowing my child is here. We've had the best experience and will be sad to leave when it's time for him to move on for 5th grade.

My children attended this school for 1 year and that was enough. The teachers and staff are nice enough but do not appear to be genuinely concerned about the students' progress. The students had to take a typed assessment for the TCAP but never practiced typing. All preparation for the assessment was done using pencil and paper. When I inquired about this, I was told not to worry because "the score doesn't count this year." When I requested my child's score on the assessment, I was never provided them. This is the first year my daughter has ever complained and said that she did not understand a topic. When I compared what she was learning to what students at her prior school were learning, she was behind. Technologically, this school is so behind. They do not have sufficient computers or smart boards. When my son became ill at school, the nurse never called despite me telling the teacher and my child to call me. Instead, my child was told to return to class because he didn't have a fever. When you initiate a complaint, you are stared at with a look of complete shock that you actually have a complaint. Last year when I was researching schools, Westmeade had a 7 on Great schools so I visited the school and enrolled my child. When I checked great schools towards the end of the school year, the rating had dropped to a 5. This school was very disappointing. I just pray my children learned enough prepare them for the next grade.

I have two children at this school who are finishing their second year here. I love the community feel of this school. I frequently volunteer with my young son in tow and am always made to feel welcome to have him here. I really believe as a parent I get back what I put in by making sure I communicate with teachers and staff. My children are learning to be respectful, responsible, and I couldn't be happier with the educational growth they have made. On a side note Mr. Howard (the school janitor) does a wonderful job of keeping the school clean. There have also been measures taken like shampooing all class carpets twice this year that are really appreciated. Sure we have had a stomach bug (what school age child doesn't!) but are lucky to be in the 95% of Westmeade students only contracting typical kid colds and stomach viruses all kids (at all schools) pass around

Last modified Westmeade Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.