No rating

St. Henry Elementary School

Private | PK-8

Living in Nashville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $332,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted April 4, 2014

I attended this school and after 8 years I wish I didn't. The class sizes aren't huge but they do a horrible job of dividing them into small sizes. The nuns at this school are not very good teachers and very strict, and the principal and vice principal are both way too strict and take everything away. The only way to really fit in at this school is if you have cousins who have attended or if you have aunts or moms who work here. Getting extra help is virtually impossible and they form your education as if everyone is going to Father Ryan. There is a fine line between the jocks and the other kids. The jocks think they are just too cool, when in reality they are very uneducated, and the teachers do a horrible job of keeping their egos down. The only two fully qualified teachers at this school are Brian Knoop and Donna Branniff, who ACTUALLY know to educate someone. The rules here are beyond strict and there is a good deal of bullying that goes on that is left unnoticed due to lack of effort. It is frowned upon if you are not going to Father Ryan and some teachers actually have the nerve to call you a rich kid or a poor kid depending on where you go to high school. I do not recommend.

Posted November 27, 2012

The teachers and the school really care about my children and are helping to form great individuals. After leaving St. Edward, I found St. Henry to be a breath of fresh air. A great supportive community.

Posted August 24, 2011

This is the second year our kids have attended St. Henry. We love it here. We pulled our kids out of public school for several reasons, one reason, because of bullying. We have not had near the problems we did in Williamson County. Unfortunately, there is no perfect school, but I have watched my sons confidence grow in the past year and he is more likely to stand up to someone now than he did 2 years ago. St. Henry helps teach kids to be confident and to strive to be who God wants them to be. Sadly, our kids will meet unkind people throughout their entire life, I am thankful that they re in a school where values are put above materialistic attitudes and feel my kids will be better prepared for life.

Posted July 13, 2011

Just to shed some light on previous reviews. The so called stellar students who can take the ACT at 13 years old from St. Henry are some of the meanest individuals I have encountered. Hateful , self- centered, and gossipy.. One female in particular is a bully and puts down other students. Perhaps she will meet her match in future years. . Yes prayer is a great thing. However, religion when it is used to cover up meanness is the highest form of hypocrisy. It is not Christlike at all. Perhaps the prayer is used to clear away the mean manner and guilt some students have from the way they treat others. .Again it all starts with parents and how they bring up a child. Try a real Christian like school such as St. Edwards or St. Anne,

Posted May 16, 2011

I do not completely agree with some of the other reviews. I do believe that it needs a few improvements. I do think there is a need for more male role models (teachers). As a present 6th grade student here, I know that teachers do their very best to keep the peace between students. This school is a great experience for anyone. There are many things I love about this school. We have wonderful gifts such as mass every Wednesday, prayer time, parish events, and religious teachings. Mass on Wednesday is so nice that I wish we had it every day. The reason is because it helps me clear away all my troubles and helps me to start the day in a great mood. Prayer is the most important. This school has a wonderful opportunity for prayer. Prayer is the most powerful thing. The religion classes are a wonderful way to learn a deeper understanding of our holy God. Besides these things, academic integrity is major. If someone is caught cheating, STRAIGHT DETENTION. If the student is only caught in a minor form there is only a Minor infraction notice sent home. There is absolutely no tolerance for bullying or acting inappropriately. Normally students are very good about being kind to one another.SHS

Posted February 5, 2011

I had 2 sons attend St. Henry, who we pulled out during the "middle school years." Our comparison is based on another private school and our public school system, both of which we experienced following the boys leaving. The teaching style was antiquated. We did not experience a lot of "hands-on" learning. Boys tend to learn differently than girls, so their teaching style was better suited to how girls learn; i.e. sit still, be quiet and listen. Typical middle school problems are not handled in a mature manner. There is a strong need for more male (role-model) teachers. Another criticism echos what others have noted in past reviews-this is a welcoming school if the students' parents attended this school. Many in this community have known each other for many years. For newcomers to this community, they will feel like an outsider (not to mention if the mother works outside the home). Also, when we attended, the parent-teacher communication methods were of the 60's-phone call. There was no ability to contact the teachers via e-mail, which we found was already in place in the other private and the public school we attended.

Posted January 22, 2011

I don't agree with any of the reviews. St. Henry is a good school and I had a lot of fun when I went there. The teachers are very nice and helpful and everyone is nice to each other. By the way there is no bullying at the school and if there is it is stopped immediatly. The teachers talk about how bullying is not allowd in person or over phone/email.

Posted August 8, 2010

This school has a very poor resource program for students that are struggling or have learning differences. There is really no help for them at all through the school, due to there being so many students needing help and 1 resource teacher. They tend to not know what to do with students that need extra help, or even those that are gifted and need more challenges. The communication between the teachers/school and the parents is absolutely non-existent. Be prepared to become a nag just to get the simplest bit of information or finding out at the last minute when something is due/planned. The communication between the teachers is just as bad, when your child is going from one year going into the next. If your child does need extra help,I highly recommend that you take it into your own hands and look outside the school for it! School not recommended.

Posted June 30, 2010

This school has white people only maybe 2 to 3 blacks and i tihnk that is a tad bit racist. My daughter says they judge the kids allot.they have no fun and she comes home crying daily. some of the conductors are very moodswingish. My daughter has had it up to 6th grade. We are moving. I would never request this schoolt o anyone. Very Stiff rules. No Fun

Posted April 23, 2010

Very structured stiff environment. No room for any kind of fun and creativity in learning. No pep rallies, no fun days, no carnivals. All about religion. No conferences are done with students. Any differences not tolerated well including racial

Posted March 27, 2008

St. Henrys has been a godsend for us. Our daughter was in public school until 4th grade.This is when most parents exit the public school system. The whole faculty welcomed her and you don't have to be an insider to be accepted or have parents or grandparents who have gone there. The narcissism, selfishness exhibited in the public school system at Eakin Elementary was not the values I wanted her to learn in the middle school years. She says this isthe best school she has ever gone to.

Posted January 18, 2008

As a recent alumnus (graduated last year--'07) I have a better understanding than any parent can give from 'observing.' Going into high school, SHS prepared me well academically and athletically. Many fond, fond memories at St. Henry, most of which come from 6th-8th grade, which are by far the best years you will spend at this school. I recommend it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 15, 2007

Overall, we are very pleased with St. Henry School. Yes, the principals change every few years, and that can be good sometimes! I think that the children receive a solid education, and of course, some teachers are better than others. (isn't that at every school?) The more you get involved and look for the good, the more you will find it. I have found much good at St. Henry School.

Posted November 1, 2007

St. Henry's has been in a steady freefall for years. The principal is always a nun, whi is usually heavy handed, with little experience. One new parent referred to it as the 'Stepford School,' and she is right on. If you have no family history here, forget it. Academically fair in grades 1-6; horrendous for 7-9. Stay away from this place!

Posted July 8, 2007

As good an overall education you will find in the city. Test scores, to athletics, to discipline...they are all very good but the most important aspect is the overall ideal of caring and giving to others.

Posted May 15, 2005

Academically, the school does a fair job (depending on which teacher you get) until middle school when many students leave. Overall, instruction is approached traditionally with little concern for learning styles--very 'cookie cutter'. Positives: the children behave, attend mass regularly, and are safe. If you are considering applying for this school, ask about test scores. School-wide or grade level test results are not reported to parents and community. Most schools publish this information.

Posted September 15, 2004

If your parent's, grandparent's and great grandparent's didn't go to St. Henry's, then it is likely that your child will never fit in. These kids are all related to each other, and have been together since birth. Not much room for outsiders.

Asian 1% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Nashville

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6401 Harding Road