K-12|Private
1,034 students

Bad
Good

Posted July 03, 2015
To the parent stating the school has a problem with ethnic people - As a student at the school since kindergarten (and now a rising junior), I have always felt that diversity was pushed upon me. In the fourth grade, we began mindfulness every Thursday to reflect on ourselves and those around us. Topics were often centered around racism, sexism, classism, etc. They made sure to teach me the earliest that we could grasp it to accept everyone. Fifth grade included a year long study on the civil rights movement of the 1960s in not one but two classes. We traveled to Memphis and Little Rock to further our learning, because we read Warriors Don't Cry by Minnie Jean Brown, who visits the school every year to meet the younger kids and educate them. The USN DIRECTOR OF DIVERSITY has been around for years, developed the middle and high school groups ALBANIE (Asian, Latino/a, Black, African, Native American, Indigenous, European), to show students how to live in the real world that has racism. USN provides time and prayer space for anyone, mainly Muslim peoples, when they need. I've never seen any community more adept and accepting of everyone. As for the homework, it is just something that any above average college preparatory school will have. You don't see all schools churning out students attending each Ivy League, often more than one at a certain school. All this to say, I know that my time at USN has prepared me for all college and life can throw my way and I wouldn't change my school, my upbringing, my life, for the entire world.

Posted December 23, 2014
Our child is happy at USN. We like the plentiful opportunities and casual atmosphere. People are friendly and welcoming. It's a comfortable environment for learning and growth. There are many ways to get involved. It can be a little overwhelming. Parents tend to be type A overachievers and it rubs off on their kids. The school culture is cooperative rather than competitive. USN is what you make it. USN is more diverse than our local school. But diversity at USN is not just demographic, it also applies to student abilities, talents, interests, points of views, etc. USN is inclusive and fosters a culture of acceptance and celebration of our differences. The USN community has a small town feel. Everyone knows each other even though we come from all over the greater Nashville area. USN feels like an international school with a broad spectrum of cultures represented. USN is fun but hard work. The school believes that kids excel further when they're challenged. Athletics are available and encouraged, but secondary to academics. I do not consider USN a sports school. I'm sorry to hear the student's experience in the review below. Our experience at USN has been very positive.

University School Of Nashville 1

Posted November 17, 2014
This school has a very unfriendly environment to those of non-white ethnic backgrounds. There is an OVERWHELMING amount of work and homework and overall it was not a good experience for me or my son.. This school does not take responsibly for their actions and will never admit when they do something wrong. It is not worth the amount of money it costs.

Posted September 23, 2014
My son has been here since Kindgergarten. We love everybody!! From the administration to Aftercare. There is no school like this.

Posted September 07, 2014
An amazing school! The teachers make sure that their students are really learning, and the students make everyone feel included. It almost feels like a second home to me, contrary to the comment about "little rich girls".

Posted April 13, 2014
USN has made my school experience a breeze. All of the teachers have amazing work ethic and care for all of the students. I feel supported and ready to take on anything that adulthood has to offer. My amazing time at USN will always be special to me, the amazing classes they have to offer as well as the opportunities in Arts, Academics, and Athletics put the cherry on top. Thank you USN!!

Posted November 10, 2011
I am a USN alumnus and my experience at USN was nothing but positive! I highly recommend this institution! While I found the academics in high-school to be quite challenging, I also had teachers who helped me at every turn. One of my math teachers met with me every day after school for many months to help me better understand the lessons we were covering. This above and beyond attention to students is a cornerstone of the school. USN also has a very strong arts program that allowed me to tap into my creative side which I have parlayed into a career. I was taught to think for myself and shown that every individual is unique and valuable. I credit USN, its staff, and the friends I made there for shaping me into an independent and well educated adult I have become. As a note on the below comment, while I am very sorry to hear your child is being bullied, I think it is out of line to say the administration is letting little rich girls get away with it because it is a tuition based program. I never found the administration/teachers treated me or any other student differently based on the percentage of tuition paid out of pocket.

University School Of Nashville 1

Posted August 25, 2011
Disgraceful bullying situations in this school which are swept under the carpet by administration. The wealthy students allowed to bullyother students because it is a tuition based program and the school allows these rich little girls to leave notes in lockers bullying others with no repercussions. Parents turn the other cheek and don't bother to even acknowledge their child is doing something wrong. ANTI DEFAMATION league should be contacted as well as reported to police authorities if USN won't deal with it.

University School Of Nashville

Posted November 04, 2009
Every teacher is excellent and devoted, spectacular art/theater/music programs, culturally diverse, the headmaster is involved and enthusiastic, I cannot imagine a more positive, supportive, energizing atmosphere for the students. USN makes me wish I could start over and go there!

Posted February 11, 2009
I am a graduate of USN and a current freshmen in college. In my opinion USN is one of the top schools in Nashville and in Tennessee for that matter. It is a very challenging school, and I struggled significantly my junior year in high school. Even though it was a very difficult year for me, all of my teachers really worked with me to make sure that I did not fall though the cracks. In fact, one of my teachers, who was also the swim coach, saw me slipping and would not allow me to compete or come to practice until I had caught up in all of my classes. I was so mad at the time, but looking back I realize how lucky I was to be surrounded by teachers who cared about me and my success.

University School Of Nashville
2000 Edgehill Avenue, Nashville, TN  37212
Last modified University School Of Nashville is a Private school that serves grades K-12